Goldcar insurance scam - beware

Started by ramblarider, September 19, 2012, 04:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuffTheMagicDragon

It's also a good idea to take photos of the car at the end of your hire, just in case it gets bashed in the car park.

Puff

Elle Sid

Quote from: bobthelook on September 20, 2012, 10:27:40 AM
Goldcar are  a dreadful firm, tatty cars usually no jackets/triangles, rip you off for petrol and their staff are obnoxious - I've not used them for years. Another bad firm IMO was Auriga Crown but I think they went bust. I use car hire 3000 who pick the best deals for me and if you phone them nearer the time and the prices have dropped they will reduce the cost. Also I have used Insurance4carhire to cover any excesses and at £49 pa is a bargain if you frequently hire cars.  Its worth a pound or two extra for reputable firms and the queues are usually smaller! :)

Car hire 3000 are a good brokerage and tend to deal with more reputable companies. I've started using them more of late and found their staff are very approachable and helpful. 

I also agree with your comments about Insurance4carhire.

As I say above I wouldn't touch Goldcar with a barge pole, they are a dreadful firm.

With any car hire, if you want to avoid hassle CHECK the car thoroughly when you collect it, and INSIST that any pre-existing damage is recorded, even if this means you have to go to the back of the desk queue again! Be prepared with a torch in your luggage if your flight is an evening one and you are collecting it after dark. I know it's a bind but it's essential if you want peace of mind. I did this recently in Malta using a torch when they tried to palm me off with a battered wreck which also hadn't been cleaned internally and it paid off when I complained. They gave me an almost new immaculate upgrade!

Not_Asking_Much

Over a year ago we used Goldcar in the low season with no problem, but it looks like something has changed (as one of the articles mentions). It's terrible that they would cause confrontation at the desk like this.

As for "no jackets/triangles", in all my years of using rental cars in Europe the car has always been completely bare. Never once anything in it "legally required".

bobthelook

Goldcar are  a dreadful firm, tatty cars usually no jackets/triangles, rip you off for petrol and their staff are obnoxious - I've not used them for years. Another bad firm IMO was Auriga Crown but I think they went bust. I use car hire 3000 who pick the best deals for me and if you phone them nearer the time and the prices have dropped they will reduce the cost. Also I have used Insurance4carhire to cover any excesses and at £49 pa is a bargain if you frequently hire cars.  Its worth a pound or two extra for reputable firms and the queues are usually smaller! :)
Malayan proverb - Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

marge

A relation of mine was turned over by them 2 weeks ago at Alicante. Will never use them again.

Elle Sid

I had a run in with this company a few years ago concerning pre existing damage and will not use them, nor recommend them to others.

ramblarider