Backdated Winter Fuel Allowance

Started by Chris485, September 25, 2012, 15:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Optomist

The Claim form is needed for backdated claims for 1997/98 1998/99 1999/00 when there was no time limit for backdated claims .
" Download 'Winter Fuel Payment claim for UK for past winters 1997/98, 1998/99 and 1999/2000 "

In 2001 they introduced a time limit of March the following year , ie: for 2011 you had to claim before March this year .

As it has recently been made available to Expats years 1997/2000 should be available to claim a backdated payment for under the same criteria as the present year , age and where you were living at whatever dated they applied to the relevant years ,  however subsequent years wont apply as in line with UK residents they are time barred .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

Realred

I also looked into this and came to the same conclusion as you did Chris. However, how the hell were we supposed to claim before March of the relevent year when at the time the government took the stance that we weren't entitled to it at all. I'm sure that if this also went to the European court, the Gov't would come second again. I suppose we will just have to accept what we can get for now, as they are already looking at taking the WFA off ALL pensioners earning (receiving) over a certain amount, which in a way makes some sense and is a lot fairer than the old system.
                                                                                                                                  Denis R

Chris485

I thought I would have a speculative go at claiming backdated winter fuel allowance going back to the winter of 2005. I used a downloaded form from the Work and Pensions Department for EU citizens to make backdated claims. I was not entitled before moving to Spain in July 2005 because I was not in the UK during the qualifying period (September 2005). I was 60 in May 2005.

Result? All rejected because one has to apply before March in the following year for which you are claiming. My understanding was that there had been a EEC rule change. Question. Why have an application form for backdated claims, when you canĀ“t make a backdated claim? Worth a try though.
Chris
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese