spraying citrus trees

Started by Val Keith, March 26, 2010, 08:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWINDONIANS

I'm a bit confused.  We went to same place near Mora oil.  Wanted Neem oil but couldn't find it so got Dominex 10 - Agrodan.  It's in a tiny 10cc bottle - problem is that I forgot what dilution the guy recommended and there's no clue on the bottle. Can anyone help please?

Diane

Jas

I have used pyronex [I think I have spelt it correctly] it is expensieve to buy,but as you dilute it  - about 1/4 tsp to a litre of water.I was told to use it when the trees are in blossom and to spray in the evening.I have found it to be succesful.
Hope this helps.
Jas

olly

Also, to add to my previous post, I would recommend that you don't spray at this time, because most trees are blossoming and it may just affect the bees and such, if you spray now.
Don't quote me on this one though as it's just my personal view, because I've not actually read this anywhere.
Anyway theres plenty of time to spray after pollination, before the fruits will get attacked.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

olly

If you've used Neem Oil before and found it did'nt work, did you check the P.H. of your water?
Your water MUST be below P.H.7 or you'll be wasting your time and money.
The tap water round Arboleas is above P.H.7 and so needs to be treated if your going to use it with Neem Oil.
The easiest way, (if you have a swimming pool.) is to to treat it with P.H. lowering powder. and check with your test kit.
The best way is to use rainwater as it's free.
By the way, don't expect instant results, as Neem Oil is'nt a knock down insect killer, it's organic and works over a period of time.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

Val Keith

thank you Frankie, we have used the neem oil before, but we will give it another try.

Hope you are well.
  Val.

Geminis

Thanks for the advice Frankie, will do the same on ours.  :lol:
The "angelic duo"

Mercurian

Mercurian

I will try that this spring Frankie.  Does it not matter what stage the tree is at, ie blossom or fruiting?

Val Keith

Last year we lost all the fruit off our mandarin trees, it has never happend before, the fruit was just dropping off, they had small holes in the mandarins, where something has burrowed into the fruit still on the trees.

tkevin47 ILLIA

Are you quite sure that it is fruit fly that you want to kill, they are only attracted to rotting fruit where they lay their eggs - are you thinking of a different pest ?

Mercurian

I would also be interested to know this because I have never sprayed mine with anything yet.  Also, what do you spray with?  My lemon tree has blossom, ripening fruit and ripe fruit on it at any one time!!

Val Keith

Can anyone advise me, when is the best time to spray citrus trees for fruit fly, eg. before the blossom opens, when it is open, or when the fruit is forming.

Thanks   Val.