avocado

Started by Toffee Girl, April 06, 2011, 19:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveB

After planting an Avocado along with other fruit trees recently I did some research. It transpires that the Avocado has a quirky reproductive method and relying on self-pollination is, while possible, unlikely to give great results. There are two distinct types, A and B, and ideally you need one of each...

From Wiki: The avocado is unusual in that the timing of the male and female flower phases differs among cultivars. There are two flowering types, "A" and "B". "A" cultivar flowers open as female on the morning of the first day and close in late morning or early afternoon. Then they open as male in the afternoon of the second day. "B" varieties open as female on the afternoon of the first day, close in late afternoon and reopen as male the following morning.

Now if only I could find a garden centre with a B-type to form a long "fruitful" relationship with my Haas I might have a bit more confidence in getting results in years to come!

Toffee Girl

Oh my, that does sound brutal,
perhaps I will just wait and see, and in the meantime just buy avocados in the shop.
Will report back if and when it bears fruit!
Thanks.

villegas

Just found this, it sounds rarther brutal tho'......
An old gardeners' trick in the southern hemisphere to encourage the plant to flower is to treat the tree roughly. When it is of a decent size, (no smaller than 1.5m), attack the trunk of the tree with a knife, or sharp implement. Make sure you don't damage the tree so it can't grow properly, and only cut the surface of the bark – never make big cuts in it. The stress brought on by this attack is said to shock the plant into flower, where it will then hopefully bear fruit.

Lynne

Yes, I know that...!  Sometimes you need two of some trees to help with fertilisation - but then I think YOU knew that as well.   :wave :wave
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

villegas

They don't chat to each other u know  :rofl: xx

Lynne

I wonder if it depends on whether you have one or two? 
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

bigtallgeezer

I've had mine in for 6 years and haven't had a sausage! (Or an avocado)

:whistle:
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Toffee Girl

Did you get any fruit?

Toffee Girl

Ha Ha, sorry, I have planted it in Spain!

Lynne

We bought two last year and was told not to expect fruit for a couple of years.  One of them doesn't look too happy, probably due to the frost over the winter, but it started to wake up last week.  The other one is getting a lot of leaves but whether it will fruit this year is anybody's guess.  We don't treat them any different from anything else in the garden, water and feed etc, but on reflection next winter we'll cover them in some way to make sure the frost doesn't get to them.

billychew

gwen-boyd profile location = United Kingdom

No idea how to grow them there, most of us on here live in Spain  :tiphat:

Toffee Girl

Any tips for growing an avocado tree/bush?
Have just bought one and wondered how long will it take to bear fruit, and how to look after it.
Thanks