white flies and dying chumba

Started by bill mcalpine, August 25, 2013, 18:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flimflam

I'm afraid it seems to be one of the minus points about living in the campo.  :clap: I got in touch with the person who is supposed to sort the problem out and was told to go out and spray all the cactus in the area with washing liquid/power washers !!!!  Maybe we should organize a working party - armed with washing liquid sprays - and sort it out ourselves.  Unfortunately - most people would prefer someone else to sort it out (me included!!).
They are driving me mad too  v)- have to hoover them up (they are all found in the window grooves) and make sure not to touch them because they'll cause  red marks on the lampshades!!!
Good part is - it won't last for ever - and the the insects don't actually bite!!  Viva Espana!!!! :romance:

Popsie

It seems these insects are being talked about quietly, but I for one am absolutely sick to death with them. shutters down at 9pm and it will be earlier when it gets dark earlier. Pool covered in dead ones and car covered due to putting an outside light on to let the dog out.  It can't be only me feeling like this, it must be a big problem for others.  There is so much chumber on farmers land and council land, is there anything that could/should be done about it.

ramblagirl

Nearest chumba to me is a quite a way away but we are still getting the white flies in the house when we put the light on at night. We are fed up with sitting in the dark has anyone any idea what gets rid of them as the normal fly spray does nothing.

johnny

This is also covered a few posts below this topic under Cochineal Blight...jet spray to wash the white deposits off then as everyone says soapy water...probably have to keep doing it every so often. Neem Oil apparently works too.

There was also an article about this in the EW a few weeks ago..there is a phone number 950 01 10 33 to get advice, it says, "agricultural experts will call".... but the amassed expertise of the Forum's Gardening experts will be no doubt be enough.
Johnny

mickmatthews

Old fashioned washing up liquid would work but modern products have got so many additives they will probablly do more harm than good.

laurence24

Washing up liquid in water will kill them, and not damage the plant, give it a go

L24

Peter and Frances

Firstly pour some suddy water over it it's supposed to kill off the white flies

bill mcalpine

Does anybody know what the procedure is for alerting the environmental dept about this problem - our chumba is completely covered in white larvae and dying fast?