Double Glazing? Is it Worth it?

Started by rf9rider, April 04, 2013, 01:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicdonna

Quote from: Gal on April 05, 2013, 12:55:06 PM
and remember that your neighbours have small windows so that it's nice and dark and COOL inside during the hot months!  So many Brits want 'light' and put in massive windows to then find out that they live in a greenhouse and have to pay a fortune for air con.   There is a reason why they keep their shutters down.

A very good point!  In the UK big windows = light, and that's lovely.  Here, light = heat, and that's not so lovely; especially in July and August!!

Donna

rf9rider

To be honest, the only wood grained effect upvc i`ve seen looks awful.

Have to make up our minds soon though, our offer on the house has just been accepted!  :handshake

cantabrian

WHY go on about white upvc windows ,even longos have wood grain effect upvc ,but a word of warning DO NOT go for sliding windows they never seal properly AND also the roller blind (if fitted) will let in many drafts ,there is a company in mojacar that can provide you with all your needs !

Gal

and remember that your neighbours have small windows so that it's nice and dark and COOL inside during the hot months!  So many Brits want 'light' and put in massive windows to then find out that they live in a greenhouse and have to pay a fortune for air con.   There is a reason why they keep their shutters down.

jimmybeen

I've got white upvc now, having been in our old village home for a couple of years with old wooden windows with old style shutters the change (several years ago) was well worth the cost, and many of the houses in our village have now made the change to upvc double glazing.
As stated by 'alhambra' ".....warping and swelling......" of wood can be a big problem, and was indeed my reason for changing to upvc. I would say wood could be a bad choice IMO!!

gus-lopez

Quote from: APY2 on April 05, 2013, 07:52:11 AM
Quote from: compton on April 04, 2013, 09:13:25 AM
Take look at http://www.diegoreinaldos.com/english.htm situated on the south bound carriage way of the motorway between Lorca and Puerto  Lumbreras .
Hardwood, double glazed units complete with built in forged steel rejars and internal shutters, pre-treated against rot they only need a coat of Stain. Other posters are right, they look far better in an older village house.If you would like some photos of the ones installed in my house then PM me. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that they only come in set sizes.

We bought all our doors and windows from them , they are not cheap but worth it , much bigger wood sections used and they don't warp or shrink , the windows even have draft strips fitted , ours were all stained , all we had to do was glaze them , either single or double glazed units will fit . They  are all very heavy so needs 2 of you to fit them  .

Yes it is excellent stuff but " they are not cheap " is an understatement !
There is actually another place that does the same as Reinaldos. If you continue on the dual carriageway to Águilas past the new Parque Almenara commercial centre straight on through next set of lights & take the next exit .You'll see the place on the left as you exit.Back over dual carriageway & take service road to get in to the place. Juan Garcia is the name. Does everything similar to Reinaldos , just not as large & much more reasonable prices.

musicdonna

My advice would be unless your house is a ruin, live in it for a year and then make a decision.  But speaking aesthetically, don't please, put obvious UPVC in a cortijo!

Donna

Optomist

Quote from: compton on April 04, 2013, 09:13:25 AM
Take look at http://www.diegoreinaldos.com/english.htm situated on the south bound carriage way of the motorway between Lorca and Puerto  Lumbreras .
Hardwood, double glazed units complete with built in forged steel rejars and internal shutters, pre-treated against rot they only need a coat of Stain. Other posters are right, they look far better in an older village house.If you would like some photos of the ones installed in my house then PM me. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that they only come in set sizes.

We bought all our doors and windows from them , they are not cheap but worth it , much bigger wood sections used and they don't warp or shrink , the windows even have draft strips fitted , ours were all stained , all we had to do was glaze them , either single or double glazed units will fit . They  are all very heavy so needs 2 of you to fit them  .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

rf9rider

I`ve just had a look at other houses in the area, next door neighbour has white upvc windows, they look fine to us, it might be because the windows in the house are on the small side.

And as has been mentioned, a fly screen might cover them.

Although they still have the original metal door fitted,  don`t know what a upvc white door would look like, i might have a play with photoshop.

We were looking for something low maintenance, so upvc looks the way to go.

We`ll see.....................

alhambra

There is for and against on either type of window, if you want a good degree of sound proofing, wind proofing and heat saving, less condensation build up on the glass, low maintenance or nearly no maintenance, no warping or swelling, uv resistance, no wet floors  or water dribbling down the walls when it rains,  peace of mind and comfort, wood effect upvc may be the best choice for you. It is very expensive to get good quality hardwood windows to match the spec of upvc, but you can get them. Most wooden windows here are softwood and dont last too long with the heat and termites and take a lot of caring for and end up being sealed up with rolls of spongy insulating tape which make them even more difficult to clean and repaint, it was a good idea at the time to staple the fly screen on,  an old cortijo needs wooden windows, wouldnt look right, cant really see them with the fly screens anyway, i should have got upvc

Jaunal

A friend has had white upvc for 15 years, with no problems,
No dogs or cricket noise etc anymore
No dust coming in
Heating and cooling stays in the house and doesn't go outside
They say worth it.

compton

Take look at http://www.diegoreinaldos.com/english.htm situated on the south bound carriage way of the motorway between Lorca and Puerto  Lumbreras .
2 men in a bar, the first asks for a H2o. His mate says I'll have an H2o too. The mate  dies!!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
If nobody comes from the future to stop you doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

villegas

We went for traditional Spanish shuttered windows, with double glazing, for a couple of windows, that needed doing.
They are fantastic, not only keeping the heat/cold out, but noise as well  :tiphat:

AndrewBayley

You can get wooden double glazed windows, but UPVC in an old village house would look absolutely terrible.

rf9rider

Knowing the climate in the Almeria region, is double glazing worth getting fitted?

The old village house we are buying is in need of new doors and windows, so don`t know whether to go for new, original style wooden type, or fit some upvc double glazed window units and doors?

Decisions, decisions........................