grafting lemons on orange trees and vica versa

Started by goodtimes, January 30, 2009, 18:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen4

I'd also bet that the longer the area of the cut slice on each bit, the more chance it might "take". I think I saw somewhere that you need to have a kind of "flap" and then slide the parasite bit inside, taping the whole lot to keep them together. Someone with fruit-bearing trees (unlike mine - so far!) might want to give it a go. Mind you, I'd also be inclined to give it a wee kiss and a hug to encourage it!
Cl3880

Karen4

Ha! Ha! It just seems like a logical thing to do! Works with human body parts so I thought it might work with plants as they're usually not quite so physiologically complex! Still waiting for ANY kind of fruit on my wee trees - think I might have to buy some more ready-made ones!
Cl3880

Karen4

Try cutting a slice down the host and the "parasite" and taping them together. I would try it but my wee trees are yet to produce anything more than flowers!
Cl3880

goodtimes

Yeah Frankie I suppose so as well. You know what I really mean is: if the grafted lemon branch feeds from the orangetree¨s roots would it change it´s cycle. More interesting would you be able to "produce" an orangebranch grafted on a lemon trunk that would flower over and over again just like the lemon. Or would it simply feed like a parasite and not have a genetic code altered?? Well only one way to find out, now I really want to try my hand at it. I am going to search google and try to speak to some old farmers.

goodtimes

Judi thanks for the picture. Well I wouldn´t want a field full but simply try it.

judi bk

Hope you can see this - it is one of the many lemange or Oramon trees on the road down to Arboleas from La Perla area

[attachment=0:2pg96xhh]orangeandlemon.jpg[/attachment:2pg96xhh]

If you have a small garden I can understand wanting one to save space.  I can also understand someone doing it just to see if they can but why have a field full of them instead of having lemon and orange trees

goodtimes

Thanks Frankie, we are getting further and further, if they flower at the same time would the lemon flower again after being picked?? Really acting like a lemon.

goodtimes

I´ve seen them once myself on Albox market, I want to know how to do it. Listen, let´s scout about a bit and keep each other informed.

I know that a lemon tree will start to blossom again immediately after you pick the lemon, all year around. So, will an orange or a mandarin branch grafted on a lemon stem do the same?? Will it blossom all year around?

Karen4

I just KNEW I hadn't been seeing things! I told my daughters I was sure I had seen a couple of trees with both oranges and lemons growing on them - they though I must have been over-indulging in the old vino collapso!
Cl3880

goodtimes

I know it can be done but also that it is a different procedure than that of almond trees. I know the time to do it is March. Has anyone done it and how did you do it.I want to breathe new life into some non bearing citrustrees.