UK BANK ACCOUNTS

Started by lorrydriver, September 20, 2020, 19:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny73

Did she PM you to say that Lynden.??  Tyy to be a little mannerly .
European Banks generally have the same rules so stop being a twa*  as always.
What has without prejudice and legal liability got to do with anything  on this post.
Get a grip man !
Is forgot to mention your buddies Wee Ducker. 😂😂😂😂

Lynden

Quote from: Johnny73 on October 08, 2020, 16:20:11 PM
Quote Peter , ####Entirely without prejudice to legal liability why would someone say something like that ??,###
What on earth is this nonsense ?? 
Johnny stop being a twxt. You know what is being reported is true. Accusing people of ducking and diving if they have Spanish Bank trouble is defamatory at least. Spanish banks have a reputation for screwing up and it’s well earned.

Johnny73

Quote Peter , ####Entirely without prejudice to legal liability why would someone say something like that ??,###
What on earth is this nonsense ?? 

Old Pedro

Posted by: Johnny73
« on: Today at 15:34:25 »Insert Quote
The Directors wedding ???? God help us . what next.????
You must be all up to something to have all these problems with banks and most of us never had a problem over the years.??
Why do you need accounts all over the place ????
Get an account with LA Caixa Peter and leave it that at that.
All the ducking and diving is catching up with you .

Entirely without prejudice to legal liability why would someone say something like that ?

Johnny73

The Directors wedding ???? God help us . what next.????
You must be all up to something to have all these problems with banks and most of us never had a problem over the years.??
Why do you need accounts all over the place ????
Get an account with LA Caixa Peter and leave it that at that.
All the ducking and diving is catching up with you .

Old Pedro

I am with Lynden and King here as the Spanish Banks need to keep up with the up and coming Banks, Revolut, Starling( voted best British bank three years in a row) to name a few. I have witnesses a Spanish Bank taking nearly five weeks to transfer US Dollars to another Spanish bank that also held a US Dollar account. Each Bank blamed the software of the other Bank ! Both Banks in the same town.I believe if you pay a pension into a Spanish Bank your account will be free of charges and should run smoothly, but we are all open to the T and C. Some Banks have great offers to entice you in and then they change the goalposts. Santander 1-2-3 account springs to mind. I also have a colleague that got invited to the Director's wedding-he and his wife had only banked there for a short while. I think one of the classics was one of my Banks started to charge me 1 euro for every internet transaction I carried out. They told me a monthly deposit of 600 euros would stop the charges. Ironic that said Bank for sold for one euro shortly afterwards ! Keep a Spanish Bank for your utility bills and convenience, only my opinion.

Johnny73

So you never had this happen to you personally, just something that happened to someone you might know.??
How do you know what the reasons for your friends accounts being seized as you put it.
Always a reason.!!!!t always.!!

Lynden

Quote from: Johnny73 on October 08, 2020, 10:35:23 AM
####True Johnny, but too many will tell you of issues with fees, cards being blocked without notice or reason, funds being appropriated without recourse etc. ####

Did this actually happen to you Lynden or did someone tell you this ??
Cards will only be blocked  if there is a good reason and fees and charges are set out in the Banks conditions same as
banks everywhere and nobody likes fees.
Funds will only be taken if there is a genuine reason such as an embargo on your property or unpaid taxes etc.
Has any of this happened to you or maybe someone you know.??
Never happened to us .
I will just ignore King as he is seriously anti establishment in Spain on most things.
He must have had accounts with most banks in Spain and not happy with any of them.
It happened to my neighbour and another friend. Luckily they had their UK bank cards and were not left stranded without funds. It seems Cajamar are very common users of this device to get your attention. They could contact you and evolve any issues but they chose not to.
I also know 4 people who had funds seized and their accounts blocked....why...because they had the temerity to live at an address and the authorities were after the previous owner....so I speak as I find.
I banked with Sabadell and never had any issues, but I only used them for monthly expenditure on Spain.

lmj52

There's more in the press now.
Around 1.3 million people who were born in the UK currently live abroad in EU countries, according to UN data released last year. At least 13,000 Lloyds Banking Group retail and business customers have already received letters to say their bank and credit card accounts will be terminated at the end of the year. Barclays has also contacted some customers, but it wouldn’t confirm how many.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/10/thousands-of-british-expats-face-brexit-bank-account-closures-what-to-do-if-youre-affected/ - Which?
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Tetley

fing is...its all part of project here,ex pats have understood it for at least the last 2 years once the penny had dropped......in the difference EU Citizenship makes

From Jan if they don't extend translon or deal the UK folks will experience the sharp end /changes ,my local feryy co in Hull PO  is closing the Belgium route which has been open for years  siting covid but its all jobs losses and stress .

the banking is quite  sortable for ex pats .
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

lmj52

When it comes to dealing with anything you of course can only go by your personal experience.
Thankfully we have had no issue with our Spanish bank, having an account with them since 2005. A dedicated person to deal with, no bank charges.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

lord lucan

Hola,

Sorry, completely mis read the section.....D'oh!

L L.

PandJ

Yes that’s the one .Not sure if it’s helpful or not but may explain things a bit.
Peter
PandJ

PandJ

Morning all, there is a piece in the Daily Mail on this today for those interested.
Sorry can’t do links, it’s after the piece about Putins girlfriend disappearance .
Peter
PandJ

King

Quote from: Johnny73 on October 08, 2020, 10:35:23 AM
####True Johnny, but too many will tell you of issues with fees, cards being blocked without notice or reason, funds being appropriated without recourse etc. ####
Cards will only be blocked  if there is a good reason and fees and charges are set out in the Banks conditions same as
Funds will only be taken if there is a genuine reason such as an embargo on your property or unpaid taxes etc.
Never happened to us .
I will just ignore King as he is seriously anti establishment in Spain on most things.
He must have had accounts with most banks in Spain and not happy with any of them.

Yes, you are free to ignore me and my personal experiences, but I can confirm that I've personally experienced in Spain all the problems described by Lynden! My account was blocked because they wouldn't accept an online copy of my P60, it's not a paper document which I would normally carry around with me while in in Spain - is that good reason to block an account? It was a local manager decision and it caused me serious grief when I couldn't see my balance and they blocked my direct debits. They managed still to take their fees from my account during the blockage - strange that!

Other people can make up their own minds what they want to do with their own money, but believe me this sort of thing has never happened with any of my UK bank accounts.

PS. You are also wrong in your assumption that I've had accounts with most banks in Spain. I've only had accounts with the ones mentioned and N26. I've no complaints about N26, but that is German with a German IBAN number!

Johnny73

Never happened to us .

King

Quote from: Lynden on October 08, 2020, 09:38:13 AM
Quote from: Johnny73 on October 08, 2020, 08:03:35 AM
Having had private and business accounts in Spain for 25 years we found Spanish banks to be first class. Very helpful staff. No problems with transfers to and from UK.
Same as UK banks really.
Speak as you find I guess.
True Johnny, but too many will tell you of issues with fees, cards being blocked without notice or reason, funds being appropriated without recourse etc. So I speak as I find too.

I agree all that Lynden. Added to which, I've found the staff to be slow in branches, partly because of poor software systems; and incompetent for failing to answer secure messages online and giving false advice through telephone banking. That's as I've found it with Unicaja, Cajamar and OpenBank. Not all UK banks are perfect, but those three Spanish examples would be way off the bottom of any customer satisfaction scales in the UK!

I know some will come back and say how wonderful particular staff are in their local branches and I'm sure that's true but nevertheless they fail to get the job done efficiently and effectively.

Personally I wouldn't leave 1â,¬ more than is absolutely necessary in a Spanish Bank!

Lynden

Quote from: Johnny73 on October 08, 2020, 08:03:35 AM
Having had private and business accounts in Spain for 25 years we found Spanish banks to be first class. Very helpful staff. No problems with transfers to and from UK.
Same as UK banks really.
True Johnny, but too many will tell you of issues with fees, cards being blocked without notice or reason, funds being appropriated without recourse etc. So I speak as I find too.

Johnny73

Same as UK banks really.

Tetley

offshore account with high street bank and or transferwise bank account and or revolute bank account Brits receive pensions all over the world the only down side to getting your pensions payed directly to spain is.....yer carnt manage the exchange rate ie as and when you change to euros plus the bank fees & rates.

the other thing is.....

if yer have money in the uk sat on deposit doing nothing it might be an idea to bring 3 or 6 months money
supply into spain wile they get  no deal Brexigedon  under control ie the flow of moneys & supplies & services......

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Lynden

From my experience a Spanish Bank account wouldn’t be first choice to keep funds. It’s best only used as a convenience.

spp

I have a pension provider who will only pay into a UK account. My State pension isfine, tbey pay it into my spanish bank. This is NOT about hiding money, Byrney, it’s about being able to receive it at all.

byrney

Yes. My pension provider has hitherto only paid into my UK bank account. If RBS close accounts down they will have to rethink.

lmj52

Quote from: Johnny73 on October 07, 2020, 18:45:56 PM
Good question Byrney,  why not just have pensions etc paid directly into your Spanish Account. Can't be that much difference in the exchange rate on  Pension amounts.??

Its because some pension providers only pay into a Uk bank account
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Johnny73

Good question Byrney,  why not just have pensions etc paid directly into your Spanish Account. Can't be that much difference in the exchange rate on  Pension amounts.??

byrney

What's the difference between holding your money in a Spanish Bank Account in Euros, as opposed to holding it in a UK Account in Sterling?

Is it just that people are trying to hide the money they've got from the Spanish Tax Authorities?......

King

Quote from: byrney on October 07, 2020, 17:52:27 PM
Why? What difference does it make as to what your sort code is? Just interested.

It's very simple really. Without a UK account number and sort code you would not be able to hold £ sterling in your account with Revolut. Many expats were probably hoping to do this when they lose their conventional UK current bank accounts because of Brexit. Revolut would probably still permit customers to pay in sums of money in £ sterling but they would have to exchange to â,¬s immediately.

byrney

Why? What difference does it make as to what your sort code is? Just interested.

spp

I had a chat with Revolut who have confirmed that we will lose the UK sort code.   That’s a real shame...

King

Quote from: lord lucan on October 07, 2020, 10:44:04 AM
Quote from: lorrydriver on October 02, 2020, 15:54:41 PM
Lloyds do not list Spain as a country they are likely to withdraw from as there are too many brits living in Spain so it is likely they will apply for a licence.

Looking at the MSE link Tetley provided, that is not correct.
L L.

lord lucan.

Why do you say that? There doesn't appear to be any conlict between the MSE summary and lorrydriver's comments! Perhaps you would be kind enough to expand on your argument.

Tetley

Just had my revolute E mail that were moving....last bank employee out of UK Turn the lights off ...... :blank:

Karen4

My other bank, Revolut, has just emailed me to say they are moving everyone over to their new European licence, based in Lithuania via the Bank of Lithuania, a member of the European System of Central Banks. Customers will receive new IBAN numbers automatically. They don't anticipate any problems with the migration and, of course, banking with Revolut is free of charges.
Cl3880

lord lucan

Quote from: lorrydriver on October 02, 2020, 15:54:41 PM
Lloyds do not list Spain as a country they are likely to withdraw from as there are too many brits living in Spain so it is likely they will apply for a licence.

Looking at the MSE link Tetley provided, that is not correct.

L L.

King