Quote from: Dunedin on March 24, 2021, 10:35:23 AM
Quote from: Angleseyite on March 24, 2021, 10:30:27 AM
Worst still didn't the king of England lose his head :grin:

That was his wives job. 😅😅

Different alleys here Dunner's, I'm not talking about Henry 8th.  :grin:

Tetley

Quote from: DonOne on March 24, 2021, 11:45:09 AM
Quote from: Tetley on March 24, 2021, 11:19:57 AM
Apparently Boris Gecko told the 1922 ....Vaccine greed investment & capitalize is Good   :laugh:

bryns had it right both sides would roll a coin given the chance   :laugh:

But in some respect Boris is right.
I think Jane Halton of Covax hit it on the head when she was asked to comment on Boris's statement that greed was a vital factor :

"I haven’t heard those remarks and I would suggest that it’s never wise to comment on the alleged comments of somebody.

But let me put it to you this way: what the UK government did, together with CEPI (the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations), is fund the research and the development of vaccines very early in this pandemic.

CEPI actually put money into vaccine candidates when there were a total of 700 diagnosed cases globally and to give the UK government credit, they similarly put money into this research and development.

So I would say that, regardless of those comments, there’s been a pretty significant level of altruism and forward thinking demonstrated here because we would not have these vaccines now if we hadn’t made those investments.

It’s because of that money that was spent, that we can now vaccinate people."

So I say thank you greed & capitalism!

Boris is right without greed the system does not work ,hence UK PLC  was at the front of the Q  with the coin to roll ,wile the EU  were still getting the bike out the shed.

anyway we will soon be having a cold trade war so might as well get all the toys out of the prams early .

must dash were on black marble pillers in the great painting hall and mi grouts settin  :afro:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

JUD

The uk ( with tax payers money ) contributed  £500 million  to COVAX Global research )  at the very begining  of the search  into the vaccine  so that other countries without the financial clout could  benefit .
JUD

Paul

Quote from: Chris B on March 24, 2021, 09:53:36 AM
Yet another thread turned into a " have a go at the UK government" From where I'm sat, the Spanish government isn't doing much better. And as for the EU, what a shambles.

it seems to be quiet a pastime for some enjoying brit bashing

DonOne

Quote from: Tetley on March 24, 2021, 11:19:57 AM
Apparently Boris Gecko told the 1922 ....Vaccine greed investment & capitalize is Good   :laugh:

But in some respect Boris is right.
I think Jane Halton of Covax hit it on the head when she was asked to comment on Boris's statement that greed was a vital factor :

"I haven’t heard those remarks and I would suggest that it’s never wise to comment on the alleged comments of somebody.

But let me put it to you this way: what the UK government did, together with CEPI (the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations), is fund the research and the development of vaccines very early in this pandemic.

CEPI actually put money into vaccine candidates when there were a total of 700 diagnosed cases globally and to give the UK government credit, they similarly put money into this research and development.

So I would say that, regardless of those comments, there’s been a pretty significant level of altruism and forward thinking demonstrated here because we would not have these vaccines now if we hadn’t made those investments.

It’s because of that money that was spent, that we can now vaccinate people."

So I say thank you greed & capitalism!

Johnny73

Totally agree Don one ,  Seems childish nonsense from all sides right now. The EU won't ban exports of vaccines as it would be madness and the Gov.UK should use some influence with AZ to supply far more of the agreed vaccines promised to the EU.
Then the UK need to stop pandering to a few Unionists in NI who never stop whinging about something and get on with the agreed protocol and job done.
The DUP voted for Brexit and now they don't want the side effects. Tough ****.

Tetley

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

DonOne

Quote from: Johnny73 on March 24, 2021, 09:35:21 AM
Back to the. Vaccine , what is happening and why are 30 million AZ vaccines
Stockpiled while the EU is  only receiving a quarter of its promised  supply.??

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/eu-showdown-looms-with-uk-over-30-million-astrazeneca-doses-1.4518387

"Brussels suspects the British-Swedish company of building up a stockpile of the vaccine produced in a Dutch factory and finished in Italy that officials estimate runs into tens of millions of doses that are awaiting delivery."

I don't understand why these politicians can't all sit down and talk to each other and get this problem solved diplomatically.
Instead they are acting like babies and throwing their toys out of their prams. Triggering article 16 of the Irish protocol and each side invoking export bans on vital products are only counter productive in the end.

Rod

Dunedin

Quote from: Angleseyite on March 24, 2021, 10:30:27 AM

That was his wives job. 😅😅

Angleseyite

Dunedin

Talking about corruption., in Spain even the King had to do a runner abroad. 😅

Chris B

Yet another thread turned into a " have a go at the UK government" From where I'm sat, the Spanish government isn't doing much better. And as for the EU, what a shambles.

Johnny73

Back to the. Vaccine , what is happening and why are 30 million AZ vaccines
Stockpiled while the EU is  only receiving a quarter of its promised  supply.??

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/eu-showdown-looms-with-uk-over-30-million-astrazeneca-doses-1.4518387

Johnny73

Yes good and bad in all of them. Unfortunately the UK Government took it to a slightly higher level recently  when they twice broke international law over The Northern Ireland agreement.
At least Boris reveled his true colours with his admitting to greed and capitalism.
He quickly retracted it but it was already recorded.

Paul

aren't all governments untrustworthy "
Former Spanish prime ministers Mariano Rajoy and José Maria Aznar will testify as witnesses on Wednesday at a trial over an alleged party slush fund.

Both Rajoy and Aznar will answer questions from the National Court of Justice via video conference.

The trial focuses on an alleged system of parallel bookkeeping by the right-wing People's Party (PP) to manage undeclared funds.

The accounts were run by Luis Barcenas who served as party treasurer between 1990 and 2009 while Aznar and then Rajoy led the PP.

The trial opened on February 8 and will run until May."

felipe

And Johnson has come out and said the reason for the success of vaccine program is due to greed and capitalism. Sums him and his band of brothers up.

SallyW

Quote from: byrney on March 23, 2021, 17:57:27 PM
And the problem is Sally?  You are surely not saying that had Labour been in power they'd not have done exactly the same thing?

No I’m not saying that.  The Red Tories probably would have done the same, but that doesn’t make croneyism right.

lmj52

As, has been said previously it’s not a competition, but the Uk is no 5 in deaths
126153. Only’ USA Brazil and Mexico are worse.  :cry:
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Johnny73

byrney

Perhaps Tory friends, relations and financial supporters were able to provide what was required quickly in a pandemic. Labour would have had to make sure that  services provided were politically correct, gender balanced, represented the ethnic population etc etc etc. Yawn. Meanwhile thousands of people would be dying.

lmj52

Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

byrney

And the problem is Sally?  You are surely not saying that had Labour been in power they'd not have done exactly the same thing?

Cloud cuckoo land methinks.

SallyW

You’re right Byrney, but it’s just a tad suspicious that all the contracts went to Tory friends, relations, or financial supporters. 🙄

byrney

Your alternative Johnny would have been to go through the normal advertising, tendering process which would have taken months. Maybe that's why the EU is so far behind with its vaccination plan? It's a pandemic, so things needed to be done quickly.

Johnny73

"""Britain has insisted that contracts must be respected."

Quite  laughable  looking at the number of contracts Gov.UK have broken  in the last 18 months.

Tetley

"Britain has insisted that contracts must be respected."

As Long as we can still  X around with the trade deal done Christmas Eve and amend the bits here and there ...... :laugh:

Johnny73

Not much love lost here. In the meantime we are all pawns in a post Brexit spat.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-uk-idUSKBN2BD0RZ

Angleseyite

What about Cadburys, every little helps..  :grin:

Dunedin

Quote from: steveconway24 on March 21, 2021, 14:15:46 PM
I'm sure that Tui, First Choice, Jet 2, Ryanair, BA, EasyJet, Kuoni to name a few will be ecstatic with that news.
That could be 1000's being made unemployed. :huh:

What about dating sites like Match, Harmony, Tinder and Grinder. 😅😅😅

byrney

Villaricos would be banged out. It's market day on Sunday! Pueblo dead. Sad to see.

Tetley

Quote from: byrney on March 21, 2021, 18:11:05 PM
Strange Tets. We also went down to Mojacar today. Went to the Pueblo. It was deserted. Probably max of ten people in each bar. Doesn't bode well.

bryns Villaricos ,banged out also try the bar on the mini rounder bought nr the castle  spot on and cheap as chips .

also mojacar gastro bar next to the ice cram bar on the red cross round abought Mojacar well worth a look .

byrney

Strange Tets. We also went down to Mojacar today. Went to the Pueblo. It was deserted. Probably max of ten people in each bar. Doesn't bode well.

Tetley

Quote from: Dunedin on March 21, 2021, 16:00:18 PM
Protests against lockdown are going on everywhere. Big one in London yesterday and also accross many places in Europe. Not the best way to reduce the spread. 😒

Not going anywhere fast are we ,   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHNnCn5LUnU

Dunedin

Protests against lockdown are going on everywhere. Big one in London yesterday and also accross many places in Europe. Not the best way to reduce the spread. 😒