Palm Beetle

Started by Lorraine, October 15, 2015, 13:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorraine

Thanks for that Cuidarbol. The hole is large, but doesn't meet the middle of the tree. IF we can save it, it will look really strange for some time to come, but better that than completely gone. It was an expensive tree.

Cuidarbol

If you have as quoted Lorraine "a massive hole" in your Palm it is likely that too much damage has already been done and therefore beyond treatment. It is also not just Date Palms (Phoenix) that get infected, I have seen and removed a Fan Palm (Washingtonia) that was beyond saving, so spray all types of Palm tree just in case. I have also recently removed three large Agave cactus that have been infected by Agave snout-nosed Beetle (Scyphophorus acupunctatus), which are similar to the Red Palm Weevil (Rhynchophorus ferrugineus) and infect Agave cactus the same way Palms are infected by the Red Weevil. Both Palms and Agaves can be treated with the chemical called Imidacloprid to prevent infection if caught in time.

Annastasia

Big and very very smelly . We lost our palm a year ago had to dig it up, disgusting job the smell was sickening and the teeth on the big fat white grubs are massive. Broke our hearts!!!

Lorraine

We have a huge hole in the tree where the bugs have been having a whale of a time. We're not sure whether they got to the centre, obviously we're hoping not - but all the bugs are now dead. My goodness Aren't they big!!!

Elgin

Quote from: phileas fogg on October 15, 2015, 14:10:38 PM
We got the chemical to treat the infection from the gun shop next to Mora Oil. we saved one palm but our date palm was too infected. Keep applying the chemical to all your palms, so far no more beetles.

I noticed beetles near one of our date palms so got the stuff from this place.  I treated the tree and our other date palm (which I now realise was also affected).  It worked completely and both trees are now fine.  A second treatment was done three months later.  It is only date palm type trees you need to treat.  Fan palms are not affected by the palm weevil

Lorraine

So there is hope! We have injectors drilled into the tree, that's how the preventative treatment has been done, but it obviously hasn't worked.

phileas fogg

We got the chemical to treat the infection from the gun shop next to Mora Oil. we saved one palm but our date palm was too infected. Keep applying the chemical to all your palms, so far no more beetles.

Lorraine

We've found Palm Beetle in our large Palm Tree - it's been treated regularly, but doesn't appear to have worked. Is this the end of the tree or can we do something about them now. Really Don't want to lose our tree.