bee keeping

Started by trad, January 24, 2014, 09:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trad

Quote from: kimbo on January 29, 2014, 07:25:13 AM
Hiya Trad
We are plagued by bees as soon as the sun starts to shine; they come in for the water by the hose connection outside the kitchen door & its sad to have to dispose of them because of the risk to us & the dogs.They have sustenance from the grapes left on the vines outside our garden ( an awful lot).
I know that they are relatively harmless as long as they're not guarding a queen but don't know enough about when things might change.
We thought they would have disappeared along with the droves of wasps but they're here as soon as it warms up a little- last week we shovelled the dead ones that drowned in some standing water in a large pot.
We're in the farming area on the road towards Velez Rubio coming from Saliente.
Do you need a nest or just twenty or thirty?

Thank You
as i am new to this i think when you buy a swarm its about 30.000 bees and a queen just to start a hive as i live in the country i have about 5 acre of rustic land with an abundance of herbs and lavender so thought i would take up bee keeping but i dont seem to be straight forward here in spain

kimbo

Hiya Trad
We are plagued by bees as soon as the sun starts to shine; they come in for the water by the hose connection outside the kitchen door & its sad to have to dispose of them because of the risk to us & the dogs.They have sustenance from the grapes left on the vines outside our garden ( an awful lot).
I know that they are relatively harmless as long as they're not guarding a queen but don't know enough about when things might change.
We thought they would have disappeared along with the droves of wasps but they're here as soon as it warms up a little- last week we shovelled the dead ones that drowned in some standing water in a large pot.
We're in the farming area on the road towards Velez Rubio coming from Saliente.
Do you need a nest or just twenty or thirty?

pipbob

hola,
to attract honey bees into the garden, there needs to be an abundance of flowers which produce nectar and pollen, and quite a lot of the stuff from garden centres are hybrids and yes they do look stunning but they are usually sterile,
most of the old fashioned types of bedding plants will provide for a bees needs, as well as most herbs rosemary lavender etc,

trad

Quote from: Cielos on January 28, 2014, 18:14:22 PM
I've always wanted to do this but only ever seem to have wasps in the garden in Spain, no bees at all :whistle:

I think I have to buy in a swarm of bees from a supplier i have plenty of wasps as well  :-\

Lynne

I think some of the Spanish bees look very much like wasps - or 'swaps' as my 4 year old grandson calls them.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Cielos

I've always wanted to do this but only ever seem to have wasps in the garden in Spain, no bees at all :whistle:

gus-lopez

Quote from: trad on January 27, 2014, 09:50:32 AM
Quote from: gus-lopez on January 26, 2014, 10:36:12 AM
Don't forget your licence & registration.
http://www.uco.es/dptos/zoologia/Apicultura/Legislacion_apicola/Legislacion_apicola.html

Thanks for that info as i live in the hills and the honey is for my personal use i wont bother with all the hassle of licences because no one will know  :lol:

Best way . :lol:

trad

Quote from: gus-lopez on January 26, 2014, 10:36:12 AM
Don't forget your licence & registration.
http://www.uco.es/dptos/zoologia/Apicultura/Legislacion_apicola/Legislacion_apicola.html

Thanks for that info as i live in the hills and the honey is for my personal use i wont bother with all the hassle of licences because no one will know  :lol:

pipbob

Hola,
on the subject of beekeeping,
at the moment we are just preparing a site for two beehives of the Layens type, also in the middle of building a tbh, with a view to catching a swarm,
If anyone out there in forumland has seen any bee swarms in this area I would bee glad to here from you,
springtime is the usual time to see them, grassyarse!!!!!

trad

Good Morning I was wondering if any one on here keeps bees I would like as a hobby to have a couple of hives to produce my own honey for personal use I could do with some advise please ???