VPN

Started by Silversalmon, July 12, 2022, 08:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oats

Sadly,. where I am currently living there is no fibre but should it ever come along I will change to it. I had it before and it worked a treat and cheaper than 'normal' internet via a dish and obviously way more speed. I have learnt to live with it. It's better than nothing. Thank you again for your help.

JohnPower

Quote from: Oats on September 12, 2022, 08:44:27 AM
Thank you John Power. I fathomed it myself and entered the one and only Spanish ISP offered and it's working. It cut off a few times last night on ITV but I imagine that's the internet at fault.

Well done. It doesn't need to be a Spanish ip address. SmartDNSProxy recommends two ip addresses closest to your location, but it doesn't really matter where they are located. It's preferable to enter two addresses so the secondary server can take over instantly should the primary server fail. So you could enter the Swiss one as the secondary.

You obviously don't live locally and are without Sistel's fibre-optic! Sorry about that. Your internet speed and the age of equipment including cables and especially the strength and range of a WiFi signal can all cause reception problems and buffering.

Oats

Thank you John Power. I fathomed it myself and entered the one and only Spanish ISP offered and it's working. It cut off a few times last night on ITV but I imagine that's the internet at fault.

JohnPower

Quote from: Oats on September 10, 2022, 08:58:50 AM
Thanks JohnPower - I have registered with Smartdns but struggling a bit to get it loaded on my router as they are asking questions I can't answer so I will need the help of my IP company so that will have to wait until Monday. I hope I will get there soon!!!

First, enter your router's control panel. Put 192.168.1.1, or similar, in your browser, and then enter the address and password,  usually "admin" and "admin". Look for a page similar to the attached and enter two of the many ip addresses, suggested by SmartDNSProxy, in the DNS settings: the ip addresses shown in the example will work.

Oats

Thanks JohnPower - I have registered with Smartdns but struggling a bit to get it loaded on my router as they are asking questions I can't answer so I will need the help of my IP company so that will have to wait until Monday. I hope I will get there soon!!!

JohnPower

In answer to Oats, I should have said we have no trouble watching any of the UK TV catch-up services, on any of our computers, TVs, tablets, or smartphones in Spain with SmartDNSProxy loaded onto our router. We watch BBCiPlayer, ITV.com, All4, My5TV, UKTVPlay, and tptvencore all for free (or, I should say, the 1â,¬/month for SmartDNSProxy). Please let me know if there are other catch-up services.

Talldude

I too have been with Smartdnsproxy for many years and rarely have problems. When I do their customer service is excellent. As JP says, it's easy to set up on any router and when I recently added a Firestick to my TV, I registered it under my Amazon.co.uk address, then set the Firestick up using my old postcode. Works a treat.

JohnPower

Quote from: Oats on September 08, 2022, 10:02:21 AM
----
My question is - would Smartdnsproxy be a better option and is it easy to set up? My firestick is a latest model and fully up to date. All cache's have been cleared on all apps and the firestick. I welcome your comments

I think you've answered your own question. SmartDNSProxy is easy to set up on any router: simply enter 2 ip addresses, as recommended by SmartDNSProxy, and select the areas in the World where you want to overcome geo-restrictions.

I don't know what else to tell you. I've already explained that you are given a month's free trial (no money is committed during that period). During your trial period, SmartDNSProxy will keep inviting you to sign up and will offer lower and lower prices. I've been with them for 5 years and my last payment was $36.60 covering me for 3 year's subscription (ie less than 1â,¬/month - less than even the Arboleas coffee prices) for which you get all the UK catch-up services and more if you want it.

There has been the occasional problem, but their customer service is outstanding. Emails are answered within minutes and good explanations of problems and, if appropriate, quick solutions.

My fibre-optic internet speed is not affected and remains very fast indeed thanks to the outstanding services of our local internet provider Juan and his team at Sistel.

To my mind this is a no-brainer for ex-pats and holiday homeowners in Spain.

Oats

Quote from: JohnPower on July 12, 2022, 10:06:47 AM
It's quite normal for satellite receivers (like FreeSat boxes) to be connected also to the internet to pick up catch-up services.

Most routers and modems don't support a VPN connection. However, you can combine a modem with a VPN-supported router. Instead of a VPN, I would recommend using SmartDNS. SmartDNS overcomes geographical restrictions in the same way as a VPN, but is much simpler to install on any router, is much cheaper, and does not slow down your internet speed.

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/ gives you the opportunity of trying it for free for a month and includes a VPN for use when you are requiring extra security for other activities.

Good luck.

For years I have used Hotspotshield VPN and although I have had some problems in the past they have usually been resolved so we can enjoy watching UK TV catch up etc. Lately the service has not been so good and I seem to be going around in circles with them and the solutions they offer. I purchased NordVPN, after reading suggestions and reviews, but within a week I had my money back as they were no better. I then bit the bullet and paid for ExpressVPN which again comes highly recommended. The only Channel I can watch now is All4. They themselves say they have a problem with ITV and BBc is no a go for me too. Channel 5 picks up straight away that I am using a VPN as that's the message across the TV screen.

My question is - would Smartdnsproxy be a better option and is it easy to set up? My firestick is a latest model and fully up to date. All cache's have been cleared on all apps and the firestick. I welcome your comments

JohnPower

It's quite normal for satellite receivers (like FreeSat boxes) to be connected also to the internet to pick up catch-up services.

Most routers and modems don't support a VPN connection. However, you can combine a modem with a VPN-supported router. Instead of a VPN, I would recommend using SmartDNS. SmartDNS overcomes geographical restrictions in the same way as a VPN, but is much simpler to install on any router, is much cheaper, and does not slow down your internet speed.

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/ gives you the opportunity of trying it for free for a month and includes a VPN for use when you are requiring extra security for other activities.

Good luck.

HighburySpain

You can’t, vpn work via your IP address (internet) and your satellite receiver works via a satellite and not the internet

Silversalmon

Anyone know how to setup a VPN between modem and sat receiver?