Gibson files for bankruptcy

Started by twojaysalmeria, May 02, 2018, 09:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarman

Tetley talks a lot of sense , if you can make a guitar sing doesn't matter what brand. 

owdoggy

........ and there you are, all talking about finish, wood, pick ups, bolts and all manner of practical things when it's all about soul.

Doggy

Tetley

thing is,electric guitar,s are bits of wood with pick ups.... the main bit is  the neck set,nut and bridge  and locking tuners,even crap cheap trems can be set to hold tune,my kid plays Columbus 1970,s made in japan bolt on neck les pauls all under 100 quid on e bay,the same les paul 1970,s stuff costs 1000,s

we have just bought a peter green / wilkinson Vintage les paul,buitifull thing 200 quid new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaBJ5uOj6CY through a Marshal valve.

for us ats all abought valve amps and not the bits of expensive wood .
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

twojaysalmeria

Yeah, I saw that they will probably be okay - eventually - but it was the fact that Gibson were in dire straits (sorry for that...) that astonished me. Somehow I imagined that they were one of the truly unbreakable famous names who would just go on forever, serenely.

Not a guitarist, me, but love Gibbos. Used to play with a chap who had a 335; beautiful tone. Of course most other playmates went for the LP. My youngest, however, is a rabid Ibanez fan.

Horses for courses I suppose.

J

Greggers

I've had 3 Gibson Les Pauls over the years. A 1974 Goldtop, mid 80's std and a early 90's Honeyburst.
However my original run Tokai Loverock is tonally and visually superior to the others.
Gibson have relied on the brand name for too long, some examples are dreadful in terms of finish and quality control and way overpriced. IMHO I should add.

owdoggy

Quote from: twojaysalmeria on May 02, 2018, 09:05:03 AM
This made my jaw drop...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43967923

I mean...Gibson?????

J

Yes but all is not lost, they made some less than profitable acquisitions and they have to dump these & prove summat or other (I'm not getting too technical for you am I?) by the end of September then they can carry on making guitars.

I am a Gibson man. I have a Les Paul Firebrand that has been with me for nearly forty years, longer than I've been married and, like all Les Paul's for me, I don't so much strap it on as "slot it in" if that makes sense. I have a Strat for the typical Strat "plinky" sounds and I think Strats are ok, but not as good as the Les Paul. Les Paul's rock!

There is a popular notion that some copies are as good, if not better than the LP's and that may well be true but those guitarists will never have the buzz of playing a guitar with soul .......... baybee.

Doggy

twojaysalmeria