Brilliant way to get BBC iPlayer and other players

Started by oldbirchy, February 11, 2014, 20:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casabonita

geoffp34

Yes - I'm getting the "unable to connect to proxy server" message too. When I follow the links to correct it, the bit about disconnecting the LAN is blanked out.
I'll look forward to one of our boffins coming up with a solution!

casabonita

Yes same here & I know of others who are as well. Hubby went into the computer programs last night to try to change the proxy settings but it isn't possible, dam  pmt

Lesley and Pete

Been using AdTelly for a while now to access iPlayer, 4OD etc etc, but today getting the message 'Unable to connect to proxy server' on all links.  Anyone else having this problem and is there a way round it?

Lesley

Daffy

Have tried numerous times to do it but today I thought I'd have one more go and.....FIRST time, no problem. Thank you Oldbirchy  :clap: :D

Rod

If you go to your network and sharing centre and under wireless network connection ( find it in Control Panel ) click status and you will find the speed listed.

sapper

Oats

Quote from: oldbirchy on March 02, 2014, 23:20:31 PM
Sorry Oats, I have no idea. Did you use the same postcode to register as you did in current location? Adtelly uses a VPN so should work!

Regards Andy

Thanks Andy, I tried again using a different email address and postcode and I believe I may have succeeded but wasn't in a position to watch the programme last night so will try and test it later. If not I will try the other suggestion on the message below yours - thanks for that too.
Regards
Oats

tanfield

try an english postcode(PR5 4LL) worked for me,think itv player is not available in northern ireland & scotland,they have their own versions.

oldbirchy

Sorry Oats, I have no idea. Did you use the same postcode to register as you did in current location? Adtelly uses a VPN so should work!

Regards Andy

Optomist

We have found the best way to receive any of the players restricted to countries other than Spain is to forget all about Expat shield or any of the other IP hiding software and use a DNS proxy server , its faster without the drawbacks of IP blocking , adds etc plus if you configure it onyour router then everything that goes through it will be covered , if you cant change it on your router then you can do individual pieces of equipment , android phones , laptops , PCs , smart TVs etc .

http://www.smartdnsproxy.com/

Full instructions are given on the support pages , it really is quite simple and basic , you can do it  :tiphat:

If you do encounter any difficulties it would be useful for others if you report  back your experiences .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

Oats

Quote from: oldbirchy on February 17, 2014, 21:15:02 PM
Quote from: commstwo on February 17, 2014, 16:52:48 PM
Found adTelly easy and got BBC iplayer - simple ! Tried ITVplayer. Someone said that to register just needed a username & password but it is actually asking for full personal details (name, DOB, & UK postcode) have I gone to wrong part of ITV site ?
Yep, you need to register but don't really need to tell the truth! It will also ask for the postcode again so you get "local" tv.

Just do it!

Regards Andy

Hi Andy, I did as you instructed and put in a UK postcode (didn't ask for any personal details) and I thought I had cracked it then it said I wasn't allowed to watch in my area. Where have I gone wrong?

oldbirchy

Hi Daffy
Are you sure you are doing through a Chrome Browser?

I just don't understand because the whole service is designed to be used outside of the UK.

Regards Andy

oldbirchy

Quote from: commstwo on February 17, 2014, 16:52:48 PM
Found adTelly easy and got BBC iplayer - simple ! Tried ITVplayer. Someone said that to register just needed a username & password but it is actually asking for full personal details (name, DOB, & UK postcode) have I gone to wrong part of ITV site ?
Yep, you need to register but don't really need to tell the truth! It will also ask for the postcode again so you get "local" tv.

Just do it!

Regards Andy

Daffy

Hi Andy
I have been trying and trying but each time it tells me Not available in your area. It's sussed that I am in Spain. Bl****y Windows 8!!!
I never had trouble with XP
Film on seems to be the best I can do, but, thanks anyway   :handshake

commstwo

oldbirchy

Quote from: Graeme on February 16, 2014, 12:25:53 PM
Quote from: oldbirchy on February 15, 2014, 19:45:23 PMIf this free adtelly service also gets cut and film on gets the boot we may all have to consider going down the paid bpn route.

If these services are cut for legal reasons, a VPN - paid or not - is not going to make any difference.
Not quite true G. For live tvon film on then when its gone its gone. But iPlayer through a paid VPN will still work. I was thinking more of the free adtelly VPN being cut

Janad20

oldbirchy

Quote from: globetrotter on February 13, 2014, 16:04:02 PM
Here is a site that lists many VPN providers and reviews them too. Useful to have so many in one place to refer to

https://www.bestvpn.com/all-vpn-providers/
;)

Hi globetrotter
Many thanks for the link!
The point of this post is really to be able to get BBC iPlayer without paying for a VPN just like you used to be able to do with expat shield. If this free adtelly service also gets cut and film on gets the boot we may all have to consider going down the paid bpn route.
Until then, enjoy.
Regards Andy

oldbirchy

Quote from: Janad20 on February 14, 2014, 12:25:53 PM
Oldbirchy.........Install the free app.It downloads and puts a little red icon at the top right of the toolbar.

How do you install the app. can't see it anywhere.

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff

Not sure!
Go to http://adtelly.tv/watch-uk-tv-abroad-free/
Go down and click on
Watch TV free with Chrome
Or
Watch TV free with Firefox

That will install the app

YOU HAVE TO DO THIS THROUGH CHROME OR FIREFOX!
It does not work through internet explorer which is the browser most people have installed.

I hope this helps, but if not, shout up and I will try to help.

Regards Andy

oldbirchy

Quote from: Daffy on February 13, 2014, 12:02:10 PM
Downloaded it but it says that BBC and ITV are UK only. What did I do wrong?? :-\

Hi Daffy

Really not sure!
Things to check:
Have you installed the Chrome browser? It only works through this!
Have you got the right site? I have given the shortcut in the post. Copy and paste it into Chrome the first line you should see is

UK TV online free    abroad

If it doesn't you are on the wrong site

Be careful! Adtelly sell a VPN service and they offer a free 24 hour trial you do not want this!

Hope this helps! But if not, shout up and I will try my best to help.

Regards Andy

oldbirchy

Hi Challenger
ITV player asks you to register but there is no charge! You just register a username and password. Your PC will probably remember them for you. Before you watch any programme it will ask you for them. Plug em in and away you go.

Regards Andy

casarolanda

Hi Andy
Thank you for your help,i have watched tv all evening,with good picture no buffering.At last some good practical help.
:handshake

JanP

Five on demand have a channel on Youtube so you don't have to hide your IP. Most programs go on there. http://www.youtube.com/user/demandfive

Optomist

If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

Challenger 383

How come  I have to register for ITV, and is there no CH5 player?

Janad20

Oldbirchy.........Install the free app.It downloads and puts a little red icon at the top right of the toolbar.

How do you install the app. can't see it anywhere.

Thanks
Jeff

globetrotter

Here is a site that lists many VPN providers and reviews them too. Useful to have so many in one place to refer to

https://www.bestvpn.com/all-vpn-providers/
;)

Daffy

Downloaded it but it says that BBC and ITV are UK only. What did I do wrong?? :-\

Karen4

Thanks Andy! I did it via Firefox and it seems to be grand but there's no mention of either "free" or"pay" anywhere so can I assume I'm not being charged in some ethereal fashion?!
Cl3880

dafydd51

Thanks Andy,
great post, have installed it and downloaded Death in Paradise from last Tuesday.

Dave

recordman

Many thanks Andy!

It's during times like these that we all need help like this.

Much appreciated.

oldbirchy

Hi All
I used to use expatshield to get BBC iPlayer but that have now started charging!
So you can either pay for a VPN or do this:

Install Google Chrome Browser on your PC
Search for Free Adtelly.  http://adtelly.tv/watch-uk-tv-abroad-free/.   Got to be the free one as they do do a charge service. This is not the free 24 hour trial! You can also look it up on YouTube to see a video.
Install the free app.It downloads and puts a little red icon at the top right of the toolbar.
Click on it and it gives access to All the players. And works! And its free!
Just watched George Gently and Mr Selfridge near perfect picture with very little buffering connected to TV via HDMI cable.
May not be live, but it does give good access to programmes.

Regards Andy