rose pruning

Started by tanfield, December 22, 2008, 18:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanfield

thanks for the info judi,much appreciated,regards a photo,i can just about manage the sky remote,thanks again & here's wishing everyone a pieceful christmas & PROSPEROUS 2009.
tanfield.

judi bk

Prune them to  less than 3' now but don't prune them hard until it starts to warm up a bit - maybe March.  Just cut back enough to prevent wind rock.

There is an old gardening saying "growth follows the cut".  If you prune back hard now and remove almost all or all the leaves the plantts will shoot but the shoots will die in frost or harsh, cold wind.  Cut back hard when spring starts and don't be afraid of cutting back really hard then.  Roses grow quickly out here.  It's a good idea to prune again at the begining of August.  It depends when it gets really hot but when it does they do have a dormant phase and cutting back about half the growth then will make them bushier and they'll produce more flowers in the Autumn.

I love roses and recon that they are about the easiest thing to grow out here.  Can we have some photos of yours next year please?

tanfield

hello,my roses have just finished a very good show,whens the best time to prune them back?
thanks.