Cockchafer Damaging our Cactus

Started by hayes, October 18, 2016, 15:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuidarbol

There is an interesting website in Almeria regarding the Picudo Negro (black weevil) that attacks and kills the Agave cacti. Some months ago I contacted them and reported cactus deaths in and around Arboleas and it was put on their website map. No doubt this problem is spreading and is now even further throughout Spain.

Salvemos Las Pitas de Almería:- http://elpicudonegro.com/web/

soosoo

There were posts on here recently about a weevil, related to the Palm weevil, which are killing agave in the area. Maybe it's that. I think it requires the same treatment as the Palm weevil. :tiphat:

Elgin

Are they cockchafer beetles?  Cockchafer beetles feed on trees and cause minimal damage and the grubs feed on plant roots (typically grass roots).  However, cochineal beetles have ravaged prickly pear cactus plants over a massive area.  Spraying doesn't really wokr because the white scale protects them.  The best thing to do (if you haven't got too many cacti) is to use soapy water and scrub them with something like a dish washing brush.  If there is lots of cochineal in your area then they will keep coming back so you will need to repeat the treatment. 

hayes

Is there a way I can get rid of these cockchafer beetles, they seem to be destroying our cactus?
Is there a pesticide I can use?