Vaccine news

Started by Dunedin, February 02, 2021, 17:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetley

Quote from: Dunedin on February 04, 2021, 10:52:09 AM
Trials are underway at Oxford University on mixing the various vaccines currently available to see if they are more effective over the various strains of the virus.

there was some boffin showing concern for this in the New York times ....a couple of weeks ago.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Dunedin

Trials are underway at Oxford University on mixing the various vaccines currently available to see if they are more effective over the various strains of the virus.

DonOne

Great news that we are to get the AstraZeneca vaccine in Spain later this month.

The recent study, based on 17,000 people in the UK, South Africa and Brazil, has shown that protection after taking the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine remained at 76% for up to three months after the first dose. This went up to 82% after the second dose. To put in to context how good these figures are you only need look at the best flu jabs which are usually only around 50% effective.

I personally think the reason France and Germany aren't offering the AstraZeneca vaccine to the over 65's is purely sour grapes.
24 regulatory bodies across the globe, including the EMA all agreed that AstraZeneca clinical trial data "supports efficacy in the over-65s age group. Germany and Frances response is that there weren't enough over 65's included in the trials. Perhaps they should check just how many over 65's were included in the Pfizer/BioNtech trials.

But the good news doesn't stop there. As well as the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offering protection from becoming serious ill and dying with it, it may also prevent people from spreading the Covid virus.  If the study - which has not been formally published - is correct, it means that most people who are vaccinated protect other people too because they are not spreading the virus.

So I say bring it on! I am more than happy to receive a first dose and then be made to wait for 12 weeks for my second if it helps getting everyone vaccinated quicker.

byrney

Good source of info Steve. Thanks.

Tets - yes, I agree December.  But, what year?.......

steveconway24

📌 Casi 500.000 personas han recibido ya las dos dosis

🔵 Actualización del informe de actividad de #vacunación en España: https://bit.ly/36EvncC

🖥 Infórmate en: https://www.vacunacovid.gob.es

#YoMeVacuno

Tetley

Rog so after all this two ing and throwing and everybody OD ing on figures ....

when do you personally think you will have had both jabs by ?

genuine question

i think for me @ 61 non productive   it will be possible done by  December .
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Roger

Spain has today announced that the AZ vaccine will not be used for people over 80 and that the second dose will be after 10 to 12 weeks.
So not following most other EU countries after hearing the latest data from the UK.

Spain should receive 1.8 million AZ vaccines this  month.

casablanca

Quote from: lmj52 on February 03, 2021, 09:18:15 AM
It’s not a contest, I hate the attempt at point scoring when we are talking about a worldwide pandemic.

Yes, I agree entirely, it's becoming blatant now with little or no attempt at taking a balanced view unfortunately. Every country has a duty to best serve its people and if they fail they will suffer at the ballot box, well at least they will in the EU and UK.

DonOne

Quote from: Johnny73 on February 03, 2021, 15:24:09 PM
I wish I was as delusional as Michael and have a few of his millions.😀😀

So do I  :cheesy:
He's actually a canny man is Michael and deserves every credit.
I'll even wager he's bought shares in Oxford/AstraZeneca Vaccines.

Dunedin

Quote from: Johnny73 on February 03, 2021, 15:24:09 PM

What use is all his money?, you would only waste it. 😆

Angleseyite

Yes it really does make you wonder who is really delusional
:grin: :kiss: :grin:

Johnny73

DonOne

Quote from: Johnny73 on February 03, 2021, 14:23:48 PM
Oxford University are beginning to  sound a bit like Michael O Leary. 😀

What, delusional?

Tetley

Johnny73

Oxford University are beginning to  sound a bit like Michael O Leary. 😀

Dunedin

Quote from: Tetley on February 03, 2021, 14:10:56 PM
Quote from: Dunedin on February 03, 2021, 14:05:07 PM
Oxford University they have already.been planning  a tweak for their vaccine in order to tackle the virus variants which could be ready by the autumn. They say 88% who have had their vaccine  protects for upto 6 months.

Any news on Trump dear his he still drinking the TEXOL  to make him immune    :cheesy:

Lots of lies and planning. He has raised over 30 million dollars in the last month from his delusional followers of which he takes 30% for himself personally. His daughter and son in law are under investigation after recieving over 100 million dollars in the last 6 months. His legal team quit last week after he wanted them to do it his way at his trial and he tried to negotiate millions of their price for representing him. His new team is now considering dropping him. I think they want fees up front. 😄😄 Will that do for now. 😎

Tetley

Quote from: Dunedin on February 03, 2021, 14:05:07 PM
Oxford University they have already.been planning  a tweak for their vaccine in order to tackle the virus variants which could be ready by the autumn. They say 88% who have had their vaccine  protects for upto 6 months.

Any news on Trump dear his he still drinking the TEXOL  to make him immune    :cheesy:

Dunedin

Tetley

Quote from: Angleseyite on February 03, 2021, 12:01:15 PM
Where does all this rubbish come from!!!!!
I'm off on my bike :grin: :grin:

Simple minds Ang wich is why yer better off in shed for next 5 years on Tharley polish   :laugh:

simple minds  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIQo1OHkTI

Angleseyite

Quote from: Dunedin on February 03, 2021, 12:52:04 PM

Yea!!!  ! On yer bike. 😆
Its the American Iron today Dunner's not the legs, they're having a rest.  :grin: :grin:

Dunedin

Yea!!!  ! On yer bike. 😆

Angleseyite

Dunedin

Quote from: Roger on February 03, 2021, 11:05:49 AM
But the big issue is the spread of the virus.
The more it spreads the more chance of mutations.
And it's more likely to be spread by 50 and 60 year olds, many of whom are meeting the public.
Also to get back to normality to infection rate has to come down below 100.
It's currently 850.
This will not happen until 70% have the vaccine, irrespective of the order.

Which means it is better to give the jab to everybody to stop or slow down the spread rather than concentrate on a certain age group. The over 65 age group are less likely to mix with those outside their household.

Johnny73

And on they go 😁😁

keyser soze

There will be however one benefit for the holidaying Brits
There will be a lot more sunbeds without towels on them in the Med resorts as the rest of Europe will still be locking down this summer due to the farcical EU vaccination response

You couldn't make it up

Roger

But the big issue is the spread of the virus.
The more it spreads the more chance of mutations.
And it's more likely to be spread by 50 and 60 year olds, many of whom are meeting the public.
Also to get back to normality to infection rate has to come down below 100.
It's currently 850.
This will not happen until 70% have the vaccine, irrespective of the order.

packard

I wonder how much the decision to concentrate on under 65s has been driven by economic factor that they are working age?

Dunedin

Those over 65 years of age have less immunity in their blood to fight viruses and disease so would benefit more from the injections than the younger people. 😎

Johnny73

Good post Roger. The UK have done very well and well done them.
Let's not make it another UK versus the World debate.  The EU have been slow on approval  with the best interests of ensuring a safe vaccine and now have major problems with distribution due to the size of the Bloc.
However we  expect vaccination will Ramp up  once  more supplies come on stream shortly.
Its a complicated process but should be completed by year end .
We are very happy for our relations back in the UK so onwards and upwards.

Roger

There is no doubt that the UK has made a very good start to the vaccination programme.
This has been possible because they gambled on the Astra Zeneca vaccine which has paid off.
They also gambled on giving early approval for its use before they had all the test data, again it has proved a good gamble.
It could of course have turned out differently.
The gamble was correct and necessary because the NHS was and still is facing huge problems of serious infections and deaths which they seem unable to control with restrictions.

Regarding the Astra Zeneca vaccine, the EU gave approval for its use for everyone over 18.
However almost all EU countries have now independently decided that there is insufficient data to know how effective it is for people over 65.
Therefore they have decided to only use it for people under 65.
Spain is as I type discussing what to do.
But it is almost certain that they will take the same scientific advice.
People over 65 will be given the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine which has proven data, and will use the AZ vaccine for people under 65.
This is based on the calculation that during February there will be sufficient Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to complete vaccinations of the over 80s, and with the promise of more supplies from Pfizer should be able to start under 80s early March.

Tetley

Quote from: Chris B on February 03, 2021, 09:20:30 AM
The UK has still administered over 10 million injections, whether thats first or second doses, still a damned sight more than the EU.
And depends on which report you listen to how effective the Pfizer jab is after 12 weeks, don't forget this only affects the Pfizer jab. there is no such concerns with the AZ jab.

how do you know governments world wide will tell you any old shxte ..... the UK this time last year was on about herd immunity till the death toll started going" politically irrecoverable"

its looks to me as a blue collar non CSE oke that its first jab ....pat on the head .... run along Dear and will be in touch for the second jab in a few .........

however the main thing is ,the UK has  MADE a good start  which is to be commended

this end at 61 i don't expect to see a jab or call before december  .

Chris B

The UK has still administered over 10 million injections, whether thats first or second doses, still a damned sight more than the EU.
And depends on which report you listen to how effective the Pfizer jab is after 12 weeks, don't forget this only affects the Pfizer jab. there is no such concerns with the AZ jab.

lmj52

It’s not a contest, I hate the attempt at point scoring when we are talking about a worldwide pandemic.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

felipe

UK numbers are only so high because they refuse to give the 2nd jab after 3 weeks. Totally against Pfizer scientists advice. 9.6million 1st jab. Only 500k 2nd one. The EU is sticking to 3 weeks for 2nd jab. In order to give maximum protection faster. It is already being reported in the UK that people are still getting infected after the 1st jab a month after getting it.

keyser soze

:)) :))

They will certainly not want to know that breaking news today suggests the Astra Z eneca vaccine is even better than first thought and that Pfizer vaccine is not quite as good as previously suggested

OOPS !!!!