Have Your say all things about Football

Started by Biggin, September 13, 2020, 09:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny73

Angieh

I love your optimism . Man City  and  Liverpool , scrap at the end

Johnny73

Arsenal set off shortly on their journey to the title.
You read it here first. ⚽⚽

timb

For all us being starved of football (apart from the Nations League - whatever that is!) Today would have been the traditional start of the World Cup had Septic Bladder not sold us out to some country at the ass end of some desert!!

Johnny73

So for all the knockers of Jose he has won his 5th European trophy.May not have been pretty but winning is the name of the game.
Lots of top English clubs would be delighted to win any trophy.
Well done to Jose and Roma.

timb

Man U fans o ly invade the pitch and cause havoc when there isn’t a game on :)

Old Pedro

Good post timb. What a day of football. Apologies I overlooked the relegation battle Steve, but as soon as Newcastle scored it did look as though Burnley were doomed. Sacking their manager did not turn the tide. I seem to recall the same thing happening with Nigel Pearson at Watford, with just two games left-crazy! Leeds will climb the table next season if they tighten their defence and not lose any of their key players.

The trend of fans running onto the pitch reminds us all of the 70's. It needs to stop sharpish.It is only a matter of time before someone does it at Old Trafford and gets Man of the Match! M.Utd. under a good manager, will be in the mix again, but the fans will have to be patient.

Hudderfield v N.Forest, a one match shoot out. Hopefully not those dreaded penalties! 

timb

What an incredible day of football yesterday and the end of a very good season.

Man C and Liverpool are two excellent sides. No doubt Pep will spend another X hundred million to enhance his bench and maybe enhance their chances further in the Champions League. Liverpool on the other hand may add another trophy next weekend by actually winning the final rather than winning a lottery:)

It was great to see fans back in full stadiums although some seem determined to see the reintroduction of fences to keep them off the pitch!

I was sorry to see Burnley go down as there are far more deserving cases IMHO. What a coup by Everton to bring in Frank Lampard when they were 16th in League to help them get up to 16th :). Watford are gone (again) which looking at their record of treating managers is nothing more than the owners deserve. Delia will continue to replenish her wine stocks with the parachute payments from the PL. Norwich are the perfect business model, spend little money to enhance a squad too good for the Championship, win it in front of a full house every week, get promoted and enjoy a season of PL riches and then going down with a fat pay check.

My lot, Leicester, had a frustrating season with so many players out injured in key positions right through the season and only yesterday put out what I would say was our strongest team and bench with the exception of the injured Ndidi. There was a time though that if you’d offered any Leicester fan 8th in the Prem they would have bit your hand of! The window is going to be interesting/worrying for us with “bigger” clubs sniffing round some of our best, Tielemans, Maddison and Fofana and able to offer them European football. We need quickly to find a replacement for Vardy. The jury is out on Daka and Ihaneacho is about as much use as a one legged man at an ass kicking contest when it comes to ball control under pressure. I understand we will need to spend upwards of 60 million to get a 20 goal a season striker which begs the question “who worth that comes to a team not in Europe next season to enhance their career?” Hopefully not Werner, Benteke or Jesus!

I guess now the season is over we can all sit back and look forward to the World Cup next month - oh wait a minute Septic Blatter took care of that. Anyone for a game of dominoes?

byrney

Looking forward to two local derbies next season Steve. Come on you Terriers!

steveconway24

Let's not forget a massive result for Leeds! Hopefully they've learnt that they need to strengthen their squad for next season.
Marching on together.👊

Old Pedro

What an exciting end to the premiership. Well done M.City. Coming behind from a two goal deficit. It was predicted that City and Liverpool would win, but how difficult it proved. All credit to Wolves who were outstanding at Anfield and A.Villa taking the game to City. City showed why they are champions-24 shots on goal, it was only a matter of time! Goal galore today with 39 goals in the last ten games.

Chelsea held on for the third spot, with Spurs coming fourth taking the remaining Champions league place. Unlucky Arsenal, finishing so well from a horrid start, nobody expected them to fall at the last hurdle. With Burnley going down, we will welcome Bournemouth, Fulham and the winners of N.Forest/Huddersfield to the premiership next season. 

Old Pedro

I think my Spanish RM friends have just about recovered from the semi final second leg. What a turn around in the last few minutes of normal time. Next year City will be a stronger team, with the probable addition of Alves and Haaland. City had ten shots on target and only scored one goal. Aguero would have scored at least five, if they sign Haaland they will be in the mix again next year and probably be favourites to lift the trophy.

Congratulations to Bournemouth, my family there are so happy to see them return to top flight football. Well done "The Cherries"

Johnny73

Real Madrid didn't have a shot on target until the end and City missed lots so they will be sick at this loss.
Hopefully Liverpool will do be better.

Johnny73

Are MU history , can't see a new manager making any difference unless they get rid of most of them and where to find replacements.
Pogba was like a virus when he came in and he should be shipped off to Rwanda or wherever.
Happy for Arsenal youngsters however.

Johnny73

For all you guys who said Ronaldo was finished when he came to MU I think he made his point today.
Outstanding .

Johnny73

All happening at Chelsea . Will he sell , can he sell , can anyone buy from him.?? Can Chelsea repay what they owe him .??
Sad strange times.

felipe

Quote from: timb on February 28, 2022, 17:33:44 PM
Tbh if Mount was on his usual form it would have been over earlier. Bringing Werner on must have been a right kick in the teeth. As for Lukaku, if a 90 million pound striker can’t look across the line and tell if he’s on or offside he’s a liability.

A good game for the neutrals though.
He was only given offside because of his arm. Which is cannot use to score. Rest of his body was well behind the defender.

Pulisic should have scored opening minutes. Waste of space he is. Would rather see Werner intead of him.

Angleseyite

A great game, the VAR worked against both sides, 2 of the world's best teams, could have gone either way, poor decision by Tuchal over the goalie probably cost Chelski the game..

timb

Tbh if Mount was on his usual form it would have been over earlier. Bringing Werner on must have been a right kick in the teeth. As for Lukaku, if a 90 million pound striker can’t look across the line and tell if he’s on or offside he’s a liability.

A good game for the neutrals though.

felipe

The one time Tuchal screwed up. Mendy was brilliant all game and I think would have saved 1 penalty. It is obvious that the decision was one promised to Kepa before the game. Tuchal should have had the cojones to change his mind having seen such a great performance by Mendy. LiVARpool got away with one again.

timb

Felipe? As a Chelsea fan I’d be interested on your thoughts on “the” substitution? Without being results driven, a good or bad move.

I remember Martin O’Neill attempting to do the same at a play off final against Palace. At the time we had a close to 7ft tall substitute goalkeeper and he had him up and ready as the whistle was about to blow. Everyone was watching the touchline to see what was happening when Steve Claridge popped up and shinned a beauty with seconds left.

To me if Tuechel was feeling some form of loyalty he should have played Kepla from the outset and make the switch the other way round? Although all the penalties were brilliantly taken there were a couple that could have been saved IMO.

John and Sue

Add up their cost and wages and it could have saved lots of children starving in the world

Angleseyite

Totally agree two great teams playing lovely footy..

felipe

Have to agree, that match was the best game of football I have seen for a long time. The atmosphere was brilliant. Probably due to 30% of the stadium allowed to stand. The noise was incredible.

Cindygirl

Chelsea V Liverpool yesterday
What a fantastic match the best I have seen in years. T

Johnny73

After getting out of jail against Arsenal who should have won City must be delighted afters today's result.
I know it's a long way to go but hard to see City losing at least 3 games.

Johnny73

Shankley,Paisley, Clough or Ferguson wouldn't moan and wouldn't put up with the pampered pussies now playing especially MU.
They would just get on with it. Remember Clough sacking a big new signing even before he played a game.
Great managers and some great players.

timb

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the 5 substitute debate putting Covid aside for the moment?

I guess most on here can remember the 42 game first division with only one substitute allowed plus none in cup competitions? I appreciate the game is played at a different level these days but the pitches now are like snooker tables not ploughed fields, the ball is like a balloon rather than a rain soddened brick, the players have dietitian and physiotherapists catering for their every need and back in the day European travel wasn’t by first class plane or staying in 5 star hotels.

I wonder if Shankley or Paisley would be bleating on as Klipperty Klopp? No, I doubt it very much!

Johnny73

I guess Liverpool have blown it now.  City's for the taking .  Also weird to see Arsenal in 4th place after some awful early results with the manager fearing for his job not so long ago.
MU need a large broom and clear out the rubbish.  Covid may play a big part in the New Year.

timb

Simeone would be a perfect fit - for a couple of weeks before the prima donnas get their agents on speed dial!

Johnny73

felipe

Chelsea have put a call for Maguire's red card to be recinded for our game next week.

Johnny73

Can't wait to see a tough manager take over and get rid of Pogba , Maguire and the one legged Shaw .  But where will the manager come from and where will new players come from.
Zidane doesn't speak English I think even if he wanted the gig. So they may wait for Ponchettino .
Pity Roy Keane is not proven as a manager as the dressing room talk would be interesting.
A bit like Brian Clough.

Angleseyite

Ole has departed.. Sad really but its a cut throat business world.

Dunedin

Quote from: Johnny73 on November 20, 2021, 18:46:57 PM
Will Ole survive today.?? A new broom and a big stick urgently needed.
The defence is a disaster and midfield  not much better.
Harry Maguire and a few others on the first stage out of town.

All seems to be sorted apart from his settlement. 😊