Paradise Papers

Started by Karen4, November 07, 2017, 13:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassBunny

Quote from: Angleseyite on November 08, 2017, 09:12:15 AM
We need to watch the halo's don't slip. Aren't ISA's,  NS&I savings, premium bonds etc also principally tax avoidance
Schemes??? If so, then I too am guilty along with 1000's of others  :08:

Interesting point but these are savings scheme's and the money you put into them will no doubt already have been taxed so a different scenario from trying to avoid paying tax in the first place.

Angleseyite

We need to watch the halo's don't slip. Aren't ISA's,  NS&I savings, premium bonds etc also principally tax avoidance
Schemes??? If so, then I too am guilty along with 1000's of others  :08:

Jo-JoB

It is not legally wrong!

But it is Morally wrong, everyone should pay a flat rate of tax, the wealthy complain that their tax is too high so they hide their money, the self employed complain that tax is too high so they claim for anything they can to cut tax down, and the poor old worker gets taxed at a flat rate he has no control over.

Everyone, from the Queen to a shelf filler should pay the same amount of tax on what they earn, flat rate, no exceptions.

Tax should be on Profit, inheritance, wages, anything which makes someone better off. If you own a business and plough profit into expansion of your business, the only tax relief you should get should be on the amount of jobless people you employ, relative to the savings the government makes on taking people off the dole.

''We are all in this together''

Paige Turner

Simple, laws are made by the rich, why would they want to hurt themselves.

sleepy john

I'm a bit confused. When ordinary people fiddle their taxes, it's called tax evasion and is a crime. When millionaires fiddle their taxes it's called tax avoidance and is legal. Perhaps someone can explain this anomaly.

webejamin

This is where people tend to get it wrong, morals are made for minions, not the rich and powerful, they just make the rules for the plebs to live by :72:

Karen4

Raysun there's no need for a long discussion, I only mentioned Bono as one example. There are many, many more.
Cl3880

Lynden

Legal it may be. Moral it is not.
Convoluted shell companies set up to avoid tax liability are illegal. What's not convoluted about most of these schemes? The law needs to be interpreted using a moral compass. Anyone who has set up these companies with the sole intention of avoiding tax should pay double.
Jo blow et al pays their dues before they get their hands on it and apart from a few tweaks can avoid nothing. I don't care if they pay a lot already. Morally they should pay what they would if they were ordinary folk like us.
All such schemes should be outlawed.

raysun

Karen, dont want to get into long discussion on this but you seem to have a real downer  on the lad from dublin.
i know all about ONE and isnt it fantastic that Bono took the time to be a founder member of an organization that fights poverty and disease mainly in africa and develops schemes to educate the young people  on aids/hiv etc.and has been an enormous success.
his name as a superstar of music was what got the thing going in the first place.
You dont expect him to donate his own  wealth as well do you.
The management of Goal And most of the other charities take  a large percentage of contributions for themselves and Bono doesent get any financial benefit from his participation.
does the queen donate her own money to african causes or do any of the other front persons of other causes.
Another irish lad  bob geldof  did his best for poverty in africa some years ago and he didnt get much thanks either.
AnywaY cant stop  off to the U2 concert
Adios

Tetley

fing is the full system is rottern and is a complet load of bxllxcks.....which is why i dropped out at 42 and decided on been a hillbilly  :))

E  em   :beer:

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Karen4

Raysun he is a founding member and spokesman for a company called ONE. Generally a very good company but he is on record as speaking very loudly and openly about the tax haven issues which prevent monies going to people who really need it. It just smacks of "do as I say, don't do as I do" and a huge helping of sanctimonious, pretentious hypocrisy.
Cl3880

raysun

I never heard bono mention anything about offshore funds especially that they should be closed down as thats where he keeps his money.. He is just another singer with high opinions of himself as with most of them. He has deprived the irish revenue of taxes but thats up to the irish revenue to pursue.
the Queen on the other  hand  receives her salary from her subjects  and then cheats them out of the tax that she should be paying to the uk revenue.
is that correct and dont tell me that a clever lady like that who i have great respect for doesent know where her money is.
at the end of the day its all perfectly legal but i would expect the queen to insist on more  morals from her accountants  than bono does from his.

now where did i hide my last million.??

webejamin

I would imagine most moneyed pleb types don't have the slightest how their dosh is invested, just that it is and they've been assured it's legal. It's the clever accountants that sort it for them. It's the system that's bent and it's bent on purpose, it's just that us plebs aint had the chance to test the system.
Fink I'd like to have a bash at it though :a102: just for research of course :67:

raysun

Bono isnt the only one who should be quiet.

zilnor

El Presidente,

Spot on, well said  :clap:

Think you are right. It is all a smokescreen to stop Brexit.   :72:

But sadly a Labour politician from Wales has been reported to have taken his own life after being sacked for sexual misconduct. What is our political world coming to ? I despair  :41:

Karen4

Quote from: byrney on November 07, 2017, 13:56:20 PM
Wow, K4, you must be on one hell of a Pension, or incredibly rich, to be pondering convoluted things like that!   :clap:
Don't be silly byrney, I said "proportionally". If they're paying zero or at the most 5% and I'm paying 20% then of course I'm paying proportionally more than they are.
As for the Queen etc, I don't care who it is. What makes me angry is the hypocrisy attached - Bono in particular has been very vocal in calling for such off shore schemes to be shut down, saying they are immoral, and are diverting much needed tax from the home countries, for schools, health etc. Yet HE uses these havens all the time! He really should be quiet!
Cl3880

Tetley

Quote from: mel20 on November 07, 2017, 14:50:46 PM
Its not her money ITS OURS ....taxpayers cash to keep her and all the other hangers on

lets see if the punters accept and are happy to pay for....king Charles as  head of church & state.....when the time comes  :sign0144:

(that should keep yer all going ie the adulterer on thone/ and head of CE ,luv it   :)) ...were on drive shafts tiday...must dash   :039: )
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

raysun

Some of The queens funds  were invested in brighthouse  who were hauled over the coals for mis-selling products to the mentally handicapped and people with learning difficulties.
other funds were invested in threshers off license business.
makes Saint Bonos investment in a supermaket and an office block look pretty tame.

mel20

Its not her money ITS OURS ....taxpayers cash to keep her and all the other hangers on

raysun

Bono was always based in holland for tax purposes and its all quite legal even if not moral.
there is nothing illegal about it as far as i know.
i would do exactly the same if i had any money to pay tax on.
karen  you forgot to mention that the queen has far more money in this scheme than bono.
but i suppose lizzie is an exception to some.

webejamin

Fing is, this is how it's set up, by the rich, for the rich. The fatcats run the UK and the rest of the world, not the plebs. We had all this not long back, so none of it should come as any surprise. Pick out a few TV stars, a major untouchable multinational, and the Queen (of course it's all legal, one wouldn't do it if it wasn't, would one).

I feel there's summink behind all the scandalous occurrence's of late, the political perverts, plundering sexless policy makers in parliamen, bum feeling, oh, and that awful knee touching :32: Could just be to bring down gov.uk and turn Brexit around :a102: just like I predicted when it all started :72: Tets calls it "smoke and mirrows"

Of course it might all be genuine revelation, but I seem to have known all about it for donkeys years, and I'm fick :16:

webejamin, calling from the Caymans and checkin on me money :great:

byrney

Wow, K4, you must be on one hell of a Pension, or incredibly rich, to be pondering convoluted things like that!   :clap:

Tetley

Things is its quite leggit to hold off shore acounts and pay tax on any gains assuming the source of funds is tax payed,im supprised we keep getting these schemes un earthed,specialy in the UK as the tax people there have full units for Brit residents holding off shore acounts to make sure there complying.

there does however seem to be one rule for the punters and another for the elite and big corporations with there tax barristers and financel advicers/planners .

hopefully the UK coming revolution should level it all up a bit.....

Karen4

"Tet's It's their money and they do want they want with it, as long as it's legal.I defy anyone to tell me they wouldn't do exactly the same if they had the wealth. I know I would.
Nibbler."

I have to be honest and say that I am appalled far more by the hypocrisy than by the convoluted methods used to avoid paying tax. For example, "Saint" Bono has long spoken/ranted publicly about how such offshore tax avoidance systems should be stopped because of the money they "deny" to their home country. Yet he is up to his eyeballs and beyond in exactly those schemes, meaning he currently pays ZERO tax on a number of "investments". Caught. It also rankles when big companies and individuals are paying proportionately far less tax on their earnings than, for example, I am on my pension. I wonder if the government and Dept of Health would mind if my pension was paid tax-free directly to a company in the Isle of Man where I would be happy to be appointed as an "advisor" and able to "borrow" it back with no intention of repaying it? I might write and ask them...I might set up a little company, like Holly Willoughby did, and name just myself and husband as sole directors, and have the pension paid to it instead of directly to me, at a massive saving.
Food for thought...

Cl3880