PIERIS (Forest Flame?)

Started by GRACAR, February 27, 2020, 21:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRACAR

UPDATE:
Sadly, though not surprisingly, my lovely Pieris died.  Not a plant to grow here for a part-timer.

terrytrees

One of my favourite shrubs when I lived in Wales. Over here a newly planted one will need watering to become established. Then they are drought tolerant and thrive in hot climates. They also appreciate a feed of fertiliser for acid loving plants.
Hope you succeed.
Terrytrees.

skid_112

I always thought it needed damp shade, never tried here, if you are here part time would think about an auto watering over summer as it will get dry quickly, but would be very interested if you are successful

GRACAR

I made a bit of an impulse buy today, when I saw a Pieris at the garden centre.  This plant has always been a favourite of mine, and I've grown it in the UK, of course, and in Limousin, France where the winters were perishing (much colder than the North of England) and the summers were as hot as here, I think.  I didn't expect to see Pieris in this part of Spain.  I think it generally needs a peaty soil, and enjoys a moist free-draining position.  I'm a part-timer (will be back in the UK in a couple of weeks), so I'm thinking of planting it in a more shaded area of my garden here, with plenty of compost, some horse manure(?), and will water it well over my remaining 2 weeks to bed it in.  Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.