Restore problem

Started by Optomist, August 12, 2014, 14:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADVANCE Digital

Optomist

Yes please Simon if you could please but i do hate admitting failure , would still appreciate knowing what a conversion is to add a language pack , do you mean an upgrade to Ultimate which would allow the language packs to be added .

Im still also puzzled as to why last years when i did the same restore it was in English although the original language was Spanish
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

ADVANCE Digital

Hi APY2

Either option I can perform for you as I have geniune copys for full formats in English if that is the one needed.

Just to be clear though using the recovery system again will still revert it to Spanish as this is the original ACER installed system.

I can PM you costs if required.

Simon

Optomist

Quote from: ADVANCE Digital on August 14, 2014, 19:16:00 PM
Hi APY2

Some laptops with Home Premium do allow the language to be selected when a full system recovery is performed, for example some HP/Compaq laptops, all ACER's I've come across will only recover to the original language e.g. Spanish, if a Spanish laptop regardless if they have been converted to English.

You therefore have a couple of options if yours does not have the language option on recovery which maybe unlikely.

Run conversion to add the language pack - without affecting files or programs installed.

or

A full reformat with Windows 7 Home Premium in English.

Hope that helps

Simon

Thanks Simon i knew someone would know the answer , just wish i understood it , the bit about a conversion adding a language pack , not sure what you mean but would appreciate knowing as it looks like its might be a viable option , doing a full reformat with Windows 7 Home Premium in English would do it but would need a genuine copy to do that or have the problems of disabling the WGA tool and associated updating problems .

I noticed you said that " ACER's I've come across will only recover to the original language " the only previous time i did an OS only restore it did install the English version although it was almost certainly originally Spanish up , i thought the Spanish version had been removed and replaced with English but it must have been installed as an additional language for it to still be there .

Im wondering if the option it gave me before the partial restore where i selected Spain actual removed or created a situaton where the English version is no longer accessible permanently , if i could only see that 1st option again i would be willing to do another partial or even clean restore , it would be worth going through the long winded process of downloading all the programs i use and re doing all the settings . .

ADVANCE Digital

Hi APY2

Some laptops with Home Premium do allow the language to be selected when a full system recovery is performed, for example some HP/Compaq laptops, all ACER's I've come across will only recover to the original language e.g. Spanish, if a Spanish laptop regardless if they have been converted to English.

You therefore have a couple of options if yours does not have the language option on recovery which maybe unlikely.

Run conversion to add the language pack - without affecting files or programs installed.

or

A full reformat with Windows 7 Home Premium in English.

Hope that helps

Simon

Optomist

Problem remaining now is only how to change the Language ....

It was bought new though Mark Oxley in Spain and he change the Language to English before delivering it .

Some time ago I had to do a system recovery through the Acer recovery Management program installed on most Acers , i believe its a copy of the Windows 7 operation system that hidden on a partition of the Hard disk . There is an option to do a Clean install which erases everything , files the lot , it formats the disk and re installs the operating system from the copy it holds . I choose to take the second option where only the operating system is replaced and files are retained , only programs installed and settings are lost , it worked perfectly .

This time i have a vague recollection that something showed 1st and thinking it meant keyboard or actual country the Laptop is being used in i selected Spain and after the Recovery was done , everything was the same apart from the operating system which was in Spanish , just took me a long time to find my files but now i have them i just need to sort out the language problem .

What i need to know and cant find online is how do i get that option back to select English , when i enter the recovery management system as before using alt/F10 i don't get it 1st country option it takes me directly to the 2 options to select the type of recover required , i had assumed the Spanish version had been replace by the English version rather than being added in addition to it . Im sure the English version is on the hard drive still just a matter of finding how to allow me to select it , one of the teck guys must know , once i know that the rest of the process is simple .

Optomist

Quote from: felipe on August 13, 2014, 08:29:50 AM
Great well done. Tell us how you did it :):)

Found files titled BACK UP , who would have though it . Actually wasn't that straight forward there were 7 of them and they each contained between 6 annd 12 files , each of those then contained between 5 and 20 sub files , each sub file had anything up to 70 files . Opened a lot and could not see anything of use so didnt check the lot as would have taken weeks , recover programs didn't find them either , was a last concentrated attempt over about 12 hours but eventually found all the files i needed . Whew , there all now on cloud storage and got a 2tb military grade shock proof external HDD on its way so not gonna ge caught again .

If anyone knows how to change the Windows 7 back to English that would make life so much easier , i think as it was bought in Spain Acer installed the Spanish language pack in the system recovery partition , no idea where the English version went but when i had to restore the Windows 7 before it remained in English even though it was replaced but Acers built in copy .

ray

APY2,

Have you thought about partition your HDDand keeping important stuff on the partition.

felipe

Great well done. Tell us how you did it :):)

Optomist

Success at last , found and moved all the important files and a lot more besides and after deleting all the duplicates got around 100gb extra free space on the HDD .  :tiphat:

Optomist

That bits easy , set it to show hidden files but cant see any , now i have to find them to delete some or i wont be able you do add any more as the HDD is almost full , was gonna spend some time deleting all the stuff that wasn't important , now i gotta find it 1st . :head

rf9rider

I haven`t used Windows for years, using Linux, but somewhere in the settings there will be an option to  "show hidden files"

Maybe someone else could help?

lottie96

Its a Acer Aspire yes with 7, 64bit or least that's what it says on the label. Not sure of the details what was done but it was in english after

Optomist

Thanks Phil , tried but no luck , lotie96 was your an acer with Windows 7 also and what did they do to get it back , would be nice to know .

lottie96

I had the same problem with my laptop going back to Spanish after using recovery I used the guys on here advance digital to convert it back to english
I can't say i had any probs with my files though so I can't help with that one but maybe they can too.

felipe

Don't know if this will help but usually when re-installing windows the process places all your files into a folder called Old Windows. Try looking there; as it is in Spanish it may read viejas ventanas or something like that :)

Optomist

Been up most of the night trying to get files back after using the Acer built in recovery management program . i did use it once before and it worked well , selected to re install just the Window 7 operating system and all my files were still there only the programs such as Skype and others i installed hod to be added again .

This time the operating system is in Spanish which was the original language as it was bought in Spain and changed to English by the place i bought it from also the files arnt visible , i know there there because i have only 60gb out of 600 left unused on the HDD , about the same as before the process was done . The laptop was bought in Spain and someone changed it to English .

I am desperate to recover about 10 files , document files and a filofax file with everything i use daily for banking , personnel addresses and phone numbers but none of the recover programs can find them .

Would be easier if it was in English but its Windows 7 Home premium so has not got the language option to change or add as Windows 8 has .

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated .