Advice needed on Tablets

Started by Optomist, December 08, 2014, 10:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

Doubt it's any good as a phone, although having recently watched people walking round taking pictures with laptops I'm not so sure.

Karen4

That looks like mine, I just love it for the speed with which it operates, the clarity of the picture and the TV is great!
Cl3880

Optomist

Thanks Bryney , i ordered it already but i did look for specs online and found it did have speakers although no where mentioned a mic but i am assuming it has one as so many use Skype and Facebook video calls now . I do actually have a mic that pugs into things that dont have them installed like our ipod touhes  if anyone wants to buy it €5 :tiphat:

I realized that now thanks Hotplot , just panicked for a moment after i ordered it and read the post , thought , o shoot , didnt think of that haha  :lol:

Says 2g and 3g with micro cards , looks like its a phone also or have i got that wrong also , cant see her holding that up to her ear .

PCs and laptops are much simpler I'm sure .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

hotphot

Didn't say the Galaxy Tab has no speakers, it has two. One either side of the screen and a built in mike. Just that the volume and tone of the external speaker is better although it is mono. Headphones handy for watching films without disturbing anyone else also when travelling.
Mike

byrney

The same model is available on Amazon UK, so just find it on there and you'll see what it has / hasn't.  Mine certainly has an inbuilt speaker - that's how I watch telly!

Optomist

Drat didn't notice no built in speakers , now need to see if its got a mic , prob is its Amazon Spain and translate taking forever when it actually works at all .

hotphot

Apple is great of course but I have had the Galaxy Tab 2 for over two years and it is a good bit of kit. The price quoted on Amazon Es for the 3 looks very good. Don't forget that you will need a micro SD card for extra memory and a decent set of earplugs/headphones. An external loudspeaker also very useful can recommend the sound wave 100

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundWave-Rechargable-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00CDKULRC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418059163&sr=1-2&keywords=soundwave+100

They run for up to 10 hours on one charge and the bonus is that a Samsung smartphone charger fits it. Don't forget to get a tablet case
Mike

byrney

That's the one I've got and it suits my needs perfectly.  If you want to go into it in a bit more detail I suggest you go onto one of the many comparison sites.  Good luck and have fun.

Optomist

Thanks both , convinced Samsung now but theres tab 2 3 and 4 and prices dont seem to indicate older models are much different except between the 2 and 4 possibly , not concerned enough with just €50 or so difference .

Would either of you know anything thats on one of them thats not on the others thats important or is it just down to processor speed , RAM and storage capacity , would be much easier if there was a simple list of the all with ticks to what they have or dont have to make a comparison , managed to narrow it down to about 25 advertised fr sale , some might be the almost the same but they show as a tab 2 or tab 3 but different model numbers or no model numbers at all  .

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00DIYS93A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Is this the one you both have , if so will get it , looks ok , i think haha

Karen4

I would add that I would always choose android over Apple as I think there's a far wider choice of applications etc and you are not held to ransom by just one (overpriced!) company!
Cl3880

byrney

Ditto Karen.  I was extremely sceptical of these tablet things, but having got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (10.1") six months ago I don't know how I managed without it.  It does virtually everything that my laptop does.

It has limitations - for example, I find it quite difficult to type long documents.

BUT, when the telly is playing silly beggars I can ALWAYS get Filmon without any buffering and the picture is brilliant.

The Tab 3 has just been replaced by the Tab 4 and you can probably pick up a bargain as stores will be wanting to offload the old model.

Karen4

I don't know very much about tablets but I do know that I love the one I have, it's a Samsung Galaxy Tab3, 10.1". It is very clear and very fast, easy to use. Just love it!
Cl3880

Optomist

Thinking of getting the wife a tablet , shes uses her smart phone constantly at home but only for simple stuff like Twatsapp , Facebook Skype , and keeping photos so high speck like her laptop I've realized now is just a waste of money , even that's only used for the same 4 things . Will get something from Amazon Spain and her Smart phone is Samsung and been extremely reliable so makes sense to go for the same make .

Dont have a clue which model to go for as I'm only used to PCs and Laptops , never even used a tablet before so I'm hoping someone with experience of them could suggest which would do the job as I've been looking now for 2 hours and my heads spinning with so many models and specs . Any advice of pointers would be greatly appreciated .