Better than TV

Started by Surveyor, December 06, 2019, 19:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surveyor

Just writing up my Log book and Service record for the Scrambler and thought I would add something for the forum, just in case anyone is interested in why I am using a 125!
Pretty obvious of course, I never bothered to get my full license after I passed my car test at age 17, and now I regret not having done so, because my Spanish is nowhere near good enough to pass the theory test here in Spain.
That said, my Fantic 125 is quite fast enough for any twisties or off-road stuff but, -  I find I am enjoying your Thursday rides and the pleasant company  :smiley: :smiley:although I am struggling to keep up on the straights  :(  so - what to do!
The obvious answer seemed to be, add some cubic inches but it is not quite that simple because of the electrical wizardry on these modern bikes.
Although in the workshop the engine revs to over 12,000 and the Yamaha YZF-R125 with the same engine runs to 10,500 (supposedly), I am not yet convinced, because I am sure my bike has some form of limiter in the ECU which cuts in around 9,000 when the engine is under load.

Support from the factory and the dealer is absolutely zero ! ‘’** ***'’ ! and there is so much rubbish on the internet when wanting info on ECU electronics - but I am getting somewhere and now just waiting to hear about a ‘’piggy back'’ unit for the ECU however, even though this engine can give a lot more power do I really want to mess about with it because it is ideal for any off-road stuff and so I have no thoughts of selling it.
I have thought seriously about buying a 2020 Yamaha YZF-R125 but even that would struggle to keep up on the roads so now my mind is leaning in another direction, because for the cost of a YZF I could fly back to UK and do a fast track course for a bigger license and then buy something like a KTM 390 Duke or similar.  :grin: Food for thought!

In the meantime the workshop (shed) has new lighting and a new ramp so I can easily push the bike up to a level suitable for work without my back killing me but before I do anything else I have to sort out a bad wobble on the Suzuki that I use for the off-road rides.
At any speed between 60 - 80 kph one would think the front wheel was square! I have hit some pretty deep ruts from time to time and the bike did have a bad smash before I bought it but I think the front wheel needs to be trued up so that’s the next job.
Have already replaced the fork springs, changed the fork oil and replaced the yoke bearings and the front tyre but still it leaps about above 60.
Well it beats watching TV.