Woodworm man?

Started by uslot, August 04, 2012, 11:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albondigas

Hi Janet

I'm no expert but can only say what has (hopefully) worked for us

If you're short on time, at least buy a few spray cans of spray - you'll also need a mask as the fumes are not good for you

If you're over here for a week or so, you can then paint with the clear paint (yellow and black tin is the one we used)

Here's a link that may be useful:

http://www.pintarsinparar.com/tratamiento-de-madera/58-xylazel-carcomas.html

The Xylazel brand is available at most ferreterias

Mercadona also have a "contra carcoma" spray in stock - I think the packaging is green and white

Good luck

Janetmayg

Hi,
Can I add myself into this request. I'm not sure if I have woodworm or wood boring beetle. There's a little evidence of wood shaving piles in different rooms but big chomping sounds in the wood beams!
I wouln't want to replace any beams nor can I afford a huge amount of money for treatment nor am I here for long enough to DIY it right now.
How urgent does this sound i.e. can it wait until i do have time to DIY it? If not does anyone have any contacts for me to get some quotes for prof treatment? I am in Bedar.
Thank you!
Janet

uslot

Thanks guys. Will look out for the carcoma paint and give the beams a good going over again. Hope to not need to replace them!

Albondigas

Problem is when you can't replace wooden "vigas" that support the roof - at least not without a lot of mess and a lot of money

We gave ours a good spray, covered them with plastic for a week, then painted on the clear carcoma paint

8 years on and no munching noises, so keeping fingers crossed

jason ward

The only sure fire way to get rid of woodworm over here is to replace the affected joists, if you have treated it the problem with woodworm is that the burrow their way into the centre of the joist to eat the soft centre, so you will always hear them. Give me a ring i have replaced thousands of joists and its the only way to solve the problem. Jason at the Andalucian Building Company mobile 671971686.
Professional family building company , established here in Almeria for over 10 years.
All aspects of construction undertaken.
From new builds , to swimming pools , reforms and maintainace.
Patios , balustrade, roofs ,if its to do wit property we do it !
All problems solved including drains.

uslot

Hello. Got woodworm in the roof beams. Been treating them with spray but can still hear them munching away. Anyone know of a woodworm man?

Thanks!