happy gardens

Started by anna june, August 05, 2014, 15:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daffy

anna june

Quote from: Daffy on August 07, 2014, 19:54:09 PM
Quote from: anna on August 07, 2014, 16:21:48 PM
Thank you Daffy.   I thought after the rude comments.  I was on my own.   buy you a café if we meet.

No problem. You have to speak as you find and from being one of the ones who previously gave "rave reviews",I can only say that I have been more than disappointed, not once, but on THREE occasions.

Anna,   I'll hold you to the offer of a cafe, the drink not the premises! Val
me  Cantoria you down the road

Karen4

Cl3880

Not_Asking_Much

On more than one occasion we have been out to eat with another couple who have praised the food greatly when in fact our opinion is umm... (rhymes with white)

On other occasions our views match perfectly.   ???

It appears that some people have rather strange opinions and taste whereas we, of course, are normal.   ;D

Karen4

We quite like the Happy Garden, it is what it is, Chinese food the way Westerners expect it to be. So we will go every now and again, maybe once a month or so. I have lost count of the number of times people have told me such-and-such a place is "amazing" or "fantastic" with "fabulous food".....only to be presented with something that looks like it came form a factory works canteen!
It just makes me wonder where some of those people have eaten in order to consider some of those places so good! However I am very grateful to them as we now know some places we would NEVER want to visit again....and that includes one or two who actually got a second chance and failed just as miserably again!
Cl3880

Elle1971

Yeah... we'd go back again when those itches need scratching. As I said before, it wasn't awful in our opinion - we just didn't think it was as amazing as we'd been led to believe. x
I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... Oh look!! A puppy!!
Find me on Facebook. I don't bite... often.

Not_Asking_Much

Quote from: Elle1971 on August 07, 2014, 00:33:26 AM
...Popular doesn't always equate with quality...
Very well said! Excellent description of our feelings.

We would go there again, but not in any great hurry.

As regards a taste for cuisine, it takes all sorts though.

Now a bit worried about the 'made us ill' comments...   :o

Daffy

Quote from: anna on August 07, 2014, 16:21:48 PM
Thank you Daffy.   I thought after the rude comments.  I was on my own.   buy you a café if we meet.

No problem. You have to speak as you find and from being one of the ones who previously gave "rave reviews",I can only say that I have been more than disappointed, not once, but on THREE occasions.

Anna,   I'll hold you to the offer of a cafe, the drink not the premises! Val

anna june

Daffy

We were staunch supporters of the Happy Garden ever since it opened and went every Saturday night, but unfortunately the last three times we went we had stomach upsets the day afterwards, for both of us to be ill I think that it is more than a coincidence. The last time my chips were so hard that I couldn't even cut them never mind eat them, I suspect that they were re fried from lunchtime. When I sent them back they were replaced but not at all graciously with no apology and Linda is usually so friendly and polite. Maybe success has gone to the head and they just don't care anymore?
Shame, we used to enjoy our Saturday evening meal.

mickandjan

We have tried a couple of takeaways from there. They weren't as bad as the OP's experience... but pretty much on a par with "Chinese restaurants in tourist areas or aimed at Brit palates of the over fifties"... good but not THAT good.

The dishes we tried were fine... they weren't horrific... and they went some way to fulfill my "I will die if I don't have crispy duck with pancakes and plum sauce right now" or "get me some chilli beef before I start throwing things" or "dammit - house special chow mein is the only thing that will give my life meaning" cravings... but I have tasted much better back in the UK. It's cheap... it's cheerful... but not as amazing as I was led to believe from the many recommendations. Would I eat from there again? Probably... when those cravings appear again. Would I rave about the place? No.

It was the same in Lanzarote... although we were told by the restaurants there that it was because they couldn't get the right cooking oils at a price that allowed them to make a profit. It meant they couldn't get the oil quite hot enough without it burning... made things taste a tad greasy.

Popular doesn't always equate with quality. McDonalds gets busy but it doesn't mean it's Michelin starred (unless you're my husband who thinks it's the bloody food of the Gods).

I'll get me coat ;)

E x

:clap:  :rofl: Excellently put!!  We thought we were the odd ones out, after reading all the rave reviews about this restaurant.   :clap:

pannica

We have tried a couple of takeaways from there. They weren't as bad as the OP's experience... but pretty much on a par with "Chinese restaurants in tourist areas or aimed at Brit palates of the over fifties"... good but not THAT good.

The dishes we tried were fine... they weren't horrific... and they went some way to fulfill my "I will die if I don't have crispy duck with pancakes and plum sauce right now" or "get me some chilli beef before I start throwing things" or "dammit - house special chow mein is the only thing that will give my life meaning" cravings... but I have tasted much better back in the UK. It's cheap... it's cheerful... but not as amazing as I was led to believe from the many recommendations. Would I eat from there again? Probably... when those cravings appear again. Would I rave about the place? No.

It was the same in Lanzarote... although we were told by the restaurants there that it was because they couldn't get the right cooking oils at a price that allowed them to make a profit. It meant they couldn't get the oil quite hot enough without it burning... made things taste a tad greasy.

Popular doesn't always equate with quality. McDonalds gets busy but it doesn't mean it's Michelin starred (unless you're my husband who thinks it's the bloody food of the Gods).

I'll get me coat ;)

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

E x
greetings highlander

Elle1971

I'll get me coat ;)

E x
I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... Oh look!! A puppy!!
Find me on Facebook. I don't bite... often.

alfie

Totally agree with Irish-red. Never had a bad meal there, and it is always full so most of us think it is the place to go. As you can't even get the name of the restaurant correct, perhaps your opinion is not all that correct either. 

irish-red

I take it you are talking about the Happy Garden in Los Llanos, opposite the Bar International in Arboleas. Well, I am not a fan of Chinese food, but we have been going there on a regular basis since it opened as my husband & friends love it. The menu is so varied but we normally have the Menu del Dia at 7,95e which is excellent value, it even suits me.  We have never had a bad meal there, the place is packed every night, so what does that tell you? The staff are so attentive, so perhaps you are looking for something different. By the way, this is the sister restuarant to the one in Mojacar which is also very popular.

anna june

well I wont say much.  but had a curry.  with curry powder tipped on top of rice no sauce. the powered was so bad.
also prawns not cooked still white.  sent them back no sorry.  or do you want other meals.  was it just a bad night..???