Olive Oil

Started by Olula Girl, December 11, 2014, 08:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olula Girl

Quote from: Tetley on December 11, 2014, 22:32:24 PM
Quote from: sherbert on December 11, 2014, 22:23:08 PM
sorry if this post seems offensive,it,s not supposed to be/
But taste wise,color etc how does organic oil differ from olives grown on my trees,in my garden, irrigated with well water.
We harvested 251kg this year all taken to the press at Albox, and mixed with all the other local growers, the majority are well over 60 anos
whose groves are small and in the barrios, I am sure these olives are all organic,but we dont fuss over such issues.

i would think very few locals chuck chemicals at there olivos,ive only ever know our Arbi locals use horse muck or weed out by hand,apart from the cost of the chemicals people are only just breaking even by the time they have paid for there town hall water costs so if they had to use chemicals as well it wouldent make economic sense to produce the oil,ie it would cost money plus labour for nothing.

:tiphat:

Not sure if I have clicked the correct part to reply to this but here goes..... my son works in a Spanish farm shop and seriously, you would not believe what the locals buy in chemical form for their land, whether it be veg or fruit trees.....it is incredible, and some of them are scary chemicals......also the farmers near us (us included), don't water using town hall water, we use irrigation water which comes from the mountains and runs at about 8 gallons every 5 seconds, it is an amazing amount of water......we flood 2 orchards and fill our water deposit which is massive in just 2 hours and it costs 20€ for the 2 hours. I am sure however if people use town hall water the cost would be massive in comparison xx

The Spaniard

Quote from: Clare53 on December 14, 2014, 07:55:31 AM
Is there anyone that picks olives ir free?
And has them all, as I don't do them anymore due to health reasons I can no longer pck them.

The Spanish system where by you get someone in to pick them for you always worked on the 3 thirds. The pickers will  harvest the olives  using whatever means , by hand , machine ,etc; deliver to mill & they take 2/3rds & you as grower get 1/3rd. just need to ask around.

Clare53

Is there anyone that picks olives ir free?
And has them all, as I don't do them anymore due to health reasons I can no longer pck them.

alfore

At Gonar _  :the first turnoff past the one for for Urcal and La Norias on the A7_ the press there does your olives however small the amount you get your own oil.
It's cold pressed in the traditional way.
Margaret

Clarky

Dave22

The price always depends on the % of oil in the olives. The higher the % , the greater the price per kilo & less kilos needed per litre of oil.
My first load this year worked out at 54c/kilo with oil % of 18% & second lot at 57c/kilo as % was 19.
The actual oil price per liter is around 3€/liter +iva but varies daily.
You can get an idea in advance of what prices are like daily on here.

http://www.poolred.com/Default.aspx

Clarky

Hi
What sort of price are you getting down there this year for your
olives?
It's about 45 cents a kilo up here in Caniles. .
Thanks.

Tetley

Quote from: sherbert on December 11, 2014, 22:23:08 PM
But taste wise,color etc how does organic oil differ from olives grown on my trees,in my garden, irrigated with well water.
We harvested 251kg this year all taken to the press at Albox, and mixed with all the other local growers, the majority are well over 60 anos
whose groves are small and in the barrios, I am sure these olives are all organic,but we dont fuss over such issues.

i would think very few locals chuck chemicals at there olivos,ive only ever know our Arbi locals use horse muck or weed out by hand,apart from the cost of the chemicals people are only just breaking even by the time they have paid for there town hall water costs so if they had to use chemicals as well it wouldent make economic sense to produce the oil,ie it would cost money plus labour for nothing.

:tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

sherbert

Sami P

Hi
We took our friends up to Lubrin. Excellent service. About 1000 is enough.
Arbloeas/ meroil station has been reformed, but not used it since,  also a place on albox south ind.estate but not useful that either.

gus-lopez

That amount would be plenty . You will have to go into the mill/mills & ask whether they do offer seperate pressing. The one I use in Estaccion de Puerto Lumbreras does.

Olula Girl

As we have grown our Olives organically, we didn't want to mix our oil with others that have used chemicals.....has anyone ever taken their own olives to be pressed separately and got their own oil back and if so how many kilos do you need to have to be able to do this......we are hoping to have about 900 - 1000 kg