SMELL

Started by zuluwarrier, January 05, 2015, 21:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepe

It is not your problem speak to your Landlord . :head

Hudders

We had a nasty smell in the en-suite when we moved in. Called out plumber and it turns out the previous owners had installed the toilet themselves. NO soil pipe and no sealed gasket thingy (can't remember what it's called)!  Simply bolted the toilet onto the floor over the hole in the floor! We paid 150€ to get the job done properly - result - a smell free toilet (usually!)  :lol:
Hudders

No - I'm not from Huddersfield, before anyone asks.. :)

Benjamin Franklin

My shower has low profile trap on the lines of this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wirquin-Extra-Profile-Shower-Waste/dp/B00LBAIY6U
You may have a similar one that you have not recognised, If so then check to make sure it is clean and contains water.
These shallow traps will lose there water quite quickly through evaporation if not used regularly.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

zuluwarrier

Thanks for all the advice/tips. I will try the easy ones first and see if I have any success.

Zuluwarrier

Cuddlybill

Also check the bottom & joints of you plastic pipes on the wash basin these can cause a problem if they are not sealed or the seal is broken....

CB
The 3 rings of marriage...........engagement ring, wedding ring & suffering!!
You only need 2 words to keep a marriage happy......Yes dear....

owdoggy

Yep, try the simple stuff first & check your pozo level. We get a smell in our bathroom when the pozo is chocca which disappears once it's emptied.

Good luck.

Doggy

Pennydot

We bought a plug and a chain, and use this after every shower.  Works for us! We are planning on fitting a ubend when we redo the bathroom.  :clap:

bigjohnpatrick

:redcard: I have had the same problem for several years, had several plumbers try all sorts of ways to cure it to no avail. All I do now is have a quite heavy piece of material which we put over the drain cover in the shower tray. That stops any smell but have to remember to remove it before showering.
Be pleased to hear if anyone else managed to remove the problem permanently?  &^^

colinspain

some suggestions that have worked for us-
                  1 Make sure your sceptical tank does not need emptying
                  2 Fit a stink pipe just outside the house where both bathroom outlets join
                  3 Put some water in a plastic bag,tie it, and place over the shower drain hole
                  4 Run the shower once a week
Hope this helps  :tiphat:
Definition of politics."Poli" Greek for many. "tics" blood sucking insects.

Challenger 383

Really cant understand why the Spanish builders have never been able to grasp the very basics of drainage.
your right there are no traps on anything, no stench pipes to vent the system, absolutly no understanding of inspection chambers and how they should be laid out.
why on earth would you create an under floor chamber to connect your toilet, wash hand basin,  shower and so on with no means of gaining access in your bathrooms, this is common practice here and makes no sense except if a problem does occur in your bathroom it's going to be very expensive to put right and make builders/plumbers lots of money.

macc

No trap or bend, no cure, but it can be fixed by either lifting the shower tray and fitting a trap, or digging out the floor if it is a walk in wet room style shower, but either way it,s a messy small repair. And the usual reason for no trap is the 40 or 50 ml pipe for the waste was placed in the wrong area or set in concrete at the wrong level, and then bodged to fit without a trap. If its a spare shower room and not used much it would be easiest to just cover the drain with wide sellotape. The only way to stop the smell is to block it or fit a trap, pouring chemical down will just make it worse.  A trap can be placed anywhere on the waste line once it is below the height of the floor of the shower, ie if the pipe exited through a wall and ran down on the outside, simple fix,  just cut and fit a trap, but the chances are, it,s all buried. If you have a pozo you could be lucky and the shower waste may have an individual run to it, if it has, just stick a trap on the end. Small but possibly complicated fix because you don,t know what,s below until you start removing things to look. If the landlord wont fix it, and you need to use this shower, maybe a weighted rubber seal placed on the exit when not in use would work, kick it out of the way when you need to use the shower. whatever you do, best of luck.

ColinC

you can get pipe cleaner gel from mercadonna .it is in an orange bottle..

alto dogs

Have you not heard the saying " oh, I can smell Spain ? "

zuluwarrier

Help needed.
              I rent what I suppose you would call a new build villa. My problem is that in one of the bathrooms there is a terrible smell coming from one of the shower cubicles. Ive tried every thing to get rid but to no avail. Ive been told that its because there is no "U" bend in the drainage pipe preventing the smell from coming back up the pipe. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure.
            Zuluwarrier