Mail

Started by Oldjimmy, August 06, 2012, 14:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinC

Quote from: manjon on August 06, 2012, 21:08:06 PM
Yes, when ever I have posted cards to the UK (I have fell for it twice) from outside the Lotto shop in Albox it never gets there. I normally post them in our village postbox and they are there within the week. I have been told the Albox postbox goes to Madrid first and our local one goes directly to Almeria how true this is I dont know. The last one from Albox was our daughters birthday cards with boarding passes in it for her & our granddaughter maybe they thought there was money in it - who knows.  >:(

Fingers crossed yours  arrives safely. :)

Did you weigh it before putting it in the box? If it was over 20 grammes (some of the cheaper cards are JUST 20 grammes) and you only put the standard stamps on, it stands a chance Correos would have binned it! There is no mechanism for Spain to recover underpaid post from Royal Mail...

Lynne

Since having post 'disappear' a couple of times since moving here, I now always put greetings cards in brown envelopes and they've never failed to arrive since. 
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

manjon

Yes, when ever I have posted cards to the UK (I have fell for it twice) from outside the Lotto shop in Albox it never gets there. I normally post them in our village postbox and they are there within the week. I have been told the Albox postbox goes to Madrid first and our local one goes directly to Almeria how true this is I dont know. The last one from Albox was our daughters birthday cards with boarding passes in it for her & our granddaughter maybe they thought there was money in it - who knows.  >:(

Fingers crossed yours arrives safely. :)

ColinC

Correction to my previous post. The basic cost of a standardised letter via Correos to the UK is now 70cents

To qualify as Standard the size of Envelopes must not be smaller than 14x9 cm. or greater than 23,5x12 cm and must not weigh more than 20 grammes.

If it is outside those dimensions and between 21 and 50 grammes then the cost is 1.35€

If the weight is between 51g and 100g the cost is 2.15€  :whistle

Via UK courier  UK standard letter (no Minimum size) Length  240mm max Width  165mm max Thickness  5mm max Weight  100g max via us is 1€ 1st class, 2nd class 95c

UK large letter Length  353mm max Width  250mm max Thickness  25mm max weight 100g 1st class 2€ 2nd class 1.70€

Hope that helps people choose the method that suits them best..

ColinC

Quote from: gus-lopez on August 06, 2012, 19:29:15 PM
Spain to Uk , no problems. Uk to Spain, anything official takes forever. Why do hmrc  & the dss advise 2-3 weeks. WTf is that all about ? Why do they send it via Malta?

Because they don´t send it via airmail... Then itt gets lost??

gus-lopez

Spain to Uk , no problems. Uk to Spain, anything official takes forever. Why do hmrc  & the dss advise 2-3 weeks. WTf is that all about ? Why do they send it via Malta?

telcaz

We always take our mail for the UK to Correos in Heurcal Overa (directly to the counter) where it is weighed, always arrives within two days, never had any delay.
                                                                                                       Terry.

jimmybeen

4 weeks ? that's way too long, we never had any lost and usualy 3 days but at the most 5 days. 

ColinC

Thought these links might be useful

http://www.correos.es/comun/tarificador/tarifas.asp to get the page in English click on the welcome symbol on the top right of the page

http://www.laposte.com/find_a_post_rate/find       ...you will find that to send a letter in France internally up to 100 grammes is 1.30€ !

Colin

(don´t want to be accused of advertising!)

doreen1

Thats excellent will give you a ring in the morning. Thanks Colin.
:wave

ColinC

Quote from: doreen1 on August 06, 2012, 16:14:23 PM
Hi Colin can I post a parcel to Australia with you. Its 13x13x10 and weighs about 7 lbs.

Hi Doreen,

Yes you certainly can we post worldwide. We have family in Oz too so sendf quite a bit ourselves.. I am at home now so haven´t got the price list with me if you want to give me a call in the morning I can give you a quote, 650600032, either that or I´ll PM you tommorow...

Thanks

Colin

doreen1

Hi Colin can I post a parcel to Australia with you. Its 13x13x10 and weighs about 7 lbs.

LosHiggers

Sent a card to the UK last Monday, arrived on Wednesday via Correos...brilliant service.

ColinC

Quote from: CT on August 06, 2012, 14:48:20 PM
We find Colin the Card at Longo's the most reliable, Correos the least reliable. With Colin to UK can take 2-3 days providing you don't post at weekend. But then we've had letters posted within the UK to someone in the UK that have taken a week.If you buy from Amazon they use a courier service that can take 4-5 days.

Thank you CT. We chose the courier we use because of their speed and reliability. It is true that we have heard many horror stories of post sent through Correos, but in their defence the reason some of it does not get there is because people do not put enough value stamps on! The Correos post to the UK is quite complicated in that they have very strict size and weight limitations. For example their ordinary post has both minimum and maximum dimensions, their minimum tariff is now I believe 65c but that is only for 20 grammes!, whereas our charge is for up to 100 grammes for a normal size letter card is 95c 2nd class 1€ 1st class. The Correos rate up to 100grammes is 1.35€

Now bearing in mind that which ever system you use, for normal mail, it all has to be delivered by Royal Mail at the UK end ( or La Poste in France) and therefore at the end of the day any fault for non delivery could well lie there. The reason why ours tends to be more reliable is that it passes through fewer hands, the person that collects from our shop actually delivers it direct to Alicante airport and then on is collected by our courier company at Gatwick who then enters the mail direct into Gatwick sorting office.

Now, going back to pricing, you will no doubt know that the cost of a 1st class stamp for a standard letter up to 100 grammes in the UK is now 60p (equal to 76cents at todays exchange rate). So for 24 cents (18p) we send it from Albox to Alicante, put it on an aircraft, fly it to Gatwick and put in to Royal Mail for you! Now I don´t think that is bad value for money! Now if you want to compare sending the same size item from the UK to Spain (5 day delivery) it will cost you 2.21 ukp ( 2.80€)..

So as you can see Correos can´t possible send your letter if it is heavier than 20 grammes without them subsidising it unless they charge you the next band higher (1.35€)

If you want to be really sure it gets there you can send Royal Mail Recorded or Special Delivery from us as well.

If anyone wants to know the cost of a specific item to send either Royal Mail or Correos I am happy to tell them both..

Regards,

Colin

rainbowsheep03

The mail we send to England from the Correos, always gets there within 3 days.

CT

We find Colin the Card at Longo's the most reliable, Correos the least reliable. With Colin to UK can take 2-3 days providing you don't post at weekend. But then we've had letters posted within the UK to someone in the UK that have taken a week.If you buy from Amazon they use a courier service that can take 4-5 days.

rainbowsheep03

Quote from: Oldjimmy on August 06, 2012, 14:11:58 PM
Anyone else had mail lost going from Spain to England?

Or shall i wait a bit longer see if it comes been 4 weeks so far.

Ours go missing from Spain to France. Sent by the post office in Albox. Family still waiting for Christmas cards and fathers day cards !

Oldjimmy

Anyone else had mail lost going from Spain to England?

Or shall i wait a bit longer see if it comes been 4 weeks so far.