Spanish Vet in Burton on Trent

Started by zilnor, December 17, 2013, 12:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cantabrian

Well done !! It is good to see that some spanish will move to a far better (stable) country to work !!!

gus-lopez

They struggled to find jobs nearly 20 years back. Where I did most of my work in Mid-Devon for a large abattoir/meat processor the vets were 90% Spanish women from about 1995 . The one who was in overall charge of day to day operations was poached off the veterinary practice by DEFRA.
My vets in Lorca regularly has locum vets in for practice/training from all over Spain & the last one I spoke to was from Albacete &  spoke perfect English but he said he'd applied to join the GC , Seprona section as there was literally nothing in Spain for a qualified vet , unless  you had the resources to set up on your own.
I bumped into one of the Spanish vets who worked in Devon at my vets some 6 years ago. She was helping out whilst her husband, also a vet, was on a 6 month course at the local abattoir.
what fascinated me in Devon was why they were always young women ? never saw a man.
Another thing that occurred just before I moved here was the sudden influx of young Spaniards working on the production lines, & this was in 2001. 99% of them, were also teenage girls.

cazton

We get lots of locum spanish pharmacists here in devon, they also cant find work in spain

zilnor

Took our little Westie to the Vets this morning and consulted the newbie. Lovely young lady from Valencia who was very pleased when we spoke Spanish to her.( and she understood our accents) She was even more pleased when we explained that our dog was born in Barcelona. When im indoors asked her why she had left the Spanish sunshine to work in cold old England, she said it was because she could not find a job back home. But she was happy because she is going home for Christmas !  :wave