Wise

Started by rt21, March 27, 2024, 20:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt21

Well today Wise informed me that they had made a direct debit payment to Energia. That is my first successful direct debit payment through Wise

Last week I set up a direct debit with Telplay for their internet services and have also set up direct debits with my Ayuntamiento for Basura and IBI.

The only slight hiccup was setting up a direct debit for my agua with the Ayuntamiento. They couldn't find my existing arrangement on their system. So I left them a copy of my last bill and payment and asked them to contact me if they had a problem in setting up a new direct debit with Wise. One week later I have not heard anything

Will keep posting updates for those who may be interested in setting up direct debits through Wise

Richard

rt21

Changed my direct debit to wise on the Energia app.

All looking good at the moment. However, we shall have to see whether the payments go through before calling it a total success

Richard

JUD

Thanks for the update

lmj52

Good result Richard. Let us know how you get on. Since becoming permanent resident we've just put everything through our Spanish bank. Free banking so no issues.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

rt21

Just an update on using direct debits through Wise

I went into my Ayuntamiento this morning to ask them to change my direct debit through Sabadell to Wise for the payment of basura

When he saw the Wise iban was Belgian he told me he didnt think the program would accept a non Spanish iban.

I then showed him an article which I had translated into Spanish showing that it is discriminatory to reject eurozone ibans

After inputing my Wise bank account details he told me that it had all gone through successfully

Next week I shall attempt to arrange direct debits for water and IBI

I shall let you know how I get on.

Richard

gus-lopez

Quote from: lmj52 on March 28, 2024, 17:41:44 PMHi, we've had a sterling and euro account with Wise for years. Direct debit payments have been set up for many companies. However some Spanish companies don't accept them. 

& which is completely illegal under the SEPA regulations which still apply even with Uk out the EU -I had a few try it on with me when I was changing to Revolut, at the time Lithuanian banking licence & N26.

Most were happy to comply once the SEPA regulations, in spanish , were attached to the complaint along with the fact that it was illegal.

Only one that wasn't was not the actual company AXA insurance but the half wit broker.

This explains what to do when faced with IBAN discrimination
https://www.dnb.nl/en/payments/electronic-payments/sepa-and-iban-discrimination/

johnnyz45

Quote from: lmj52 on March 28, 2024, 17:41:44 PMHi, we've had a sterling and euro account with Wise for years. Direct debit payments have been set up for many companies. However some Spanish companies don't accept them. We've got an account with Cajasur, and now everything goes through them. Free banking since 2005. Also get lots of offers, and discounts through them.

lmj52

Hi, we've had a sterling and euro account with Wise for years. Direct debit payments have been set up for many companies. However some Spanish companies don't accept them. We've got an account with Cajasur, and now everything goes through them. Free banking since 2005. Also get lots of offers, and discounts through them.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

JUD

Please let us know how you get on and if all went smoothly

Johnny73

Very interesting . Thanks for info.

rt21

I should have mentioned that the first step in the process with Wise is the setting up of a Euro account.

This can be done in your Wise app.
I had to upload a photo of my passport and of myself using my mobile camera. I had to do this 3 times because Wise's recognition software could not match the first two lots of photos

However, this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find that after my third attempt I now have a Euro account with Wise. So after Easter I shall give my internet provider the details of my Euro account and ask them to electronically set up the direct debit for my monthly payments.

Richard

rt21

Quote from: JUD on March 28, 2024, 06:48:24 AMRT21, thanks for the info , I have been thinking of closing my Spanish account and one of the internet accounts instead . I use wise for money transfers etc.

Yes I have been thinking of closing my Sabadell account òbecause the fees are too high.

I was hesitant about opening accounts with those internet banks which required residency status in Spain because of the risk of attracting tax on my assets.

I recently tried to open an on line fee free account with BBVA but the stumbling block was having an up to date NIE document. I approached two abogados for advice and was told that the authorities don't issue updated documents because an NIE number is for life. Their advice was to seek a different bank.

So I have decided to use Wise for one of my Spanish direct debits and if it all goes well I will transfer the others and close my account with Sabadell

Richard

JUD

RT21, thanks for the info , I have been thinking of closing my Spanish account and one of the internet accounts instead . I use wise for money transfers etc.

rt21

Some of you may be interested to know that Wise are launching Direct Debits in pounds sterling and also in euros.

According to their blurb you can set up direct debits for payment of bills in eurozone countries including Spain

If you do a search for Wise and direct debits, you will be able to access various articles on this topic

Richard