A new word, with a new meaning.

Started by webejamin, July 18, 2018, 09:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest33216

webejamin

Afraid I miswrote Terry and Bobby60, evidently it is a word :shocked: one I've never seen, heard, or used before. It also has many meanings, from fudge to deceive, lie to misquote.
It's a handy word though, a kind of get out of jail word. Old Trump is smarter than I thought, mind you, I bet Putin aint thinking that way :grin:   

telcaz

How can a NEW word, have a NEW meaning?
                                                         Terry

zilnor

"Must pay more attention " ....

My maths teacher used to write that on my end of term reports.  :grin:

webejamin

Sorry about that Bobby60, I just haven't seen or heard it before. I suppose it's because he said it later, after his meeting with Putin.
I've never heard any UK politicians use the word either. I guess that's called "mishearing" or "mislistening"
Must pay more attention in future. :grin:

guest33216

It's hardly a new word invented by Trump. British politicians have been using it for quite some time.
If you watch the whole extract he didn't misspeak. He didn't have the balls to call out Putin, someone who he will happily do business with in the future, when Trump international opens in Moscow. Or when he invests billions in Russia oil corps.

KJH3

PhillipJLloyd

Or perhaps, being human,  makes a genuine mistake !

webejamin

Well done Mr Trump, I knew you were a clever bloke.

Trump has invented a new word, "misspeak" or, in the past tense "misspoke".
The word means that you can say something that is the opposite to what you mean, to anybody, with no fear of being called a nasty name.
It's not lying, or fake news (I think that's his as well). It's not misleading, or any other kind of dishonesty, it's simply a reason for saying the wrong thing inadvertently in any situation, no matter how important.
Misspoke can be used for instance, if you tell someone to turn right when it should have been left. The driver would say "oh dear this is wrong, you would say, "sorry, I misspoke" and everything will be OK.
Another example could be, "sir, what should I do?" the misspoke would have been "press the button". I doubt anyone would be around to explain about any simple "misspeaking" having occurred, but it had.

But, it's a new word and no doubt we'll be hearing it used more often in the future