When does a game become a sport.

Started by Dunedin, May 15, 2019, 09:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggin

Quote from: Dunedin on May 16, 2019, 10:43:21 AM
Quote from: Biggin on May 16, 2019, 08:48:55 AM
Golf is already included in the Olympics Justin Rose winning the Gold medal in Rio in 2016. It was the first time that Golf has been included in the games since 1904

Bill was it on a first time trial in the games. I heard McIlroy on the tv saying yesterday that if it goes ahead next time he would like to enter representing Ireland.

I dont think so I thought that was it back for good but I could be wrong

Dunedin

Quote from: Biggin on May 16, 2019, 08:48:55 AM
Golf is already included in the Olympics Justin Rose winning the Gold medal in Rio in 2016. It was the first time that Golf has been included in the games since 1904

Bill was it on a first time trial in the games. I heard McIlroy on the tv saying yesterday that if it goes ahead next time he would like to enter representing Ireland.

Biggin

Dunedin

Yes I have all the gear and have played a few times but realized it is not for me, as it does not require the amount of physical effort that what I call a sport requires. I look at it as a leisure activity but the amount of energy required is minimum. My life in sport have been competition in weightlifting, judo and athletic field events at national level.

But I will add, it is good thing to take up if it appeals to you, or for those who are retired and need light exercise, as any form of excercise is good for you. But not like Trump who hits the ball then rides in a golf cart a few hundred yards before striking the ball again.

felipe

Have you ever played golf? The average round of golf means you will walk about 4 miles. Often up and down hills. The gf swing itself takes energy. Darts, chess and snooker though are not energetic I agree.

Dunedin

To me, to be a sport it has to have physical effort. Golf is looking to be included in the Olympic Games as a sport. Will they walk between holes or use a golf cart, as that would be the only effort as far as I see. Will chess or snooker become part of the Olympics in the future. In my opinion, to be a sport it has to involve more physical effort than standing on a spot to hit a ball before walking casually after it.
Do you agree.?