More fruit trees?

Started by pinpepperer, December 27, 2008, 09:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annette Walker

Hi, yes I have managed to keep a lime tree in my garden, and as a result I maded my favorite marmalade. It needs watering every day, well it may not need it but thats what it gets, and of course we live near Antas so its a bit warmer.

tkevin47 ILLIA

We have Lime, Lemon & Orange trees all planted in the ground (all came from Jardins Jucca by Bar International) All are now just five years in the ground and all give great crops - particularly the lime which is now croppping for the third year. We also have mandarin which did not fare quite so well and our Spanish neighbour´s wife grafted some new stock on to it in the spring of last year from her own trees and the new growth looks much healthier but she tells us it will be three years  before we see fruit. Her husband, Paco, actually planted the trees when we asked the best place to plant them and how deep - how´s that for neighbours. He advised us to plant a ring of garlic cloves around each tree telling us that this will repel nematode worms from attacking  the roots. Maybe thats why we have such good crops? The other advice he gave us was to save all vegetable peelings and trimmings to use as mulch around the trunk. I  will always trust the advice of a man who has healthy trees. Kevin

judi bk

They will live in pots pinpepper.  I have friends who have citrus trees in pots in conservatories in the UK and some have born fruit.  Out here in Spain you will just have to be sure that they get enough water and also watch out for them getting blown over by those sudden strong winds we get.  

I have had no luck with limes in the ground and may try for one in a pot.  Has anyone else succedded with a lime?

pinpepperer