HELP FOR LORCA VICTIMS!

Started by Frankie, May 15, 2011, 08:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinC

Quote from: Mercurian on May 23, 2011, 19:00:03 PM
Hi Colin, I have some clothes in the back of the car which I was going to bring up tomorrow.  Are they required or not?

Yes by all means bring them up, they are reviewing the situation after the weekend.. We still have some stuff in Longos store waiting to be sorted before it goes over... That will go Wednesday..

Cheers

Colin

Mercurian

Hi Colin, I have some clothes in the back of the car which I was going to bring up tomorrow.  Are they required or not?

ColinC

Many thanks everyone who has donated, and to Debs from Urcal who met Nibbler and I on the motorway junction and followed us with our full van load to Lorca with their collection. A special thank you to all those people who came in today to sort the donated items into the various categories and carrying it downstairs again! That will have saved a lot of time for the volunteers at Lorca and in turn has helped get the goods out faster to the people who need it.

The donations were received with the usual prolific thanks but also with a request of not to take anymore after this week.

Whilst there were still queues waiting for food it was clear that the day to day requirements for the homeless are now being catered for. After some discussion with the staff at the reception centre they stated that they were not sure, at this stage, what the future needs will be if any. They think they may need household items but are not sure what, where or when.

They have said they will contact me if they have need for more items, and again reiterated their grateful thanks on behalf of the victims, to all who have donated and helped. Thanks to Frankie for starting the thread and mobilising people.

So can I ask people NOT to bring any more items after Wednesday morning unless I put out an appeal for more specific items.. and once again on behalf of the victims of the Lorca Earthquake, thank you VERY much!

Colin

debs

Very many thanks to Colin and Nibbler for showing us the way today so we could deliver the generous donations from the people of the Urcal area.  Cheers guys

Debs

ColinC

Thanks Gus, I have put the first link through google translate.. giving the below general gist

Caritas. May 20, 2011 .- Caritas Diocesan Cartagena has announced its intention to open in the coming days, two points of reception and distribution of food staples to help the victims, who will join the next working since last Monday May 16 at the headquarters of Caritas Lorca, located in the suburb of San Pedro.

Barrio de Las Viñas and Parish of El Carmen

Of these new centers, the main will be installed in the Barrio de Las Viñas, which is the area most affected by the earthquake. From this point, which is staffed by volunteers from the parish of Christ the King, will distribute food to families in the neighborhood who have already returned to their homes and in need of imminent necessity. The second point was opened at the headquarters of Caritas Parish of El Carmen and will be attended by volunteers from the parish.

Meanwhile, Caritas has again launched IRIS care and information to immigrants. In addition, the two child welfare projects, has managed to restore the activity of functioning in the district of San Cristobal, while he was in the neighborhood of the vines still waiting to find a new location, under best, allowing resume their activities. Also, a group of women and children who were in one of the Caritas supervised apartments are admitted temporarily into the refugee camp, waiting for the rehabilitation of the building.

The remaining teams parish Caritas Lorca can not develop their business because their sites have been totally demolished, are assisting in the refugee camp by preparing meals and food distribution.

In recent days, Caritas has dealt in Lorca 200 families who have lost their homes and belongings in the earthquake.

In the coordination meeting held on Wednesday between all the Pastoral of the Diocese, was established as a priority to help families most affected by the earthquake.

Moreover, the bishop of Cartagena, Bishop José Manuel Lorca Planes, reported at the meeting of the Governing Council held yesterday at the Church of San Mateo de Lorca on Sunday May 29 there will be a special collection in all parishes the Diocese for the benefit of Lorca.

gus-lopez

The only thing she has managed to locate is a link to the churches organisation here ;
www.caritas.es/noticias_tags_noticiaInfo.aspx?Id=4937 The only other link was to the Lorca council site .

www.lorca.es/lorcainforma/noticiasDetalle.asp?id=4957. 
They say that the red cross & Caritas are in charge of the management.

gus-lopez

Quote from: ColinC on May 19, 2011, 20:41:33 PM
Gus, When we made the delivery yesterday the girl in the office said to keep looking on www.lorca.es for updates of what is happening and what is needed.. I have had a quick look and whilst they seem to have loads of things going on I am blowed if I can see any info on what else is required...

I have also posted a request on one of the Spanish Facebook sites to see what info I can get from there..

Colin

I've just trawled through it & can't see anything either ,Colin . The wifes going to contact the neighbours daughter to see whether she has any info or can find out more .

Saffi

The english community on the coast have also donated a lot of things, local schools have done collections, and the Ladies Group in San Juan de los Terreros are sending a lot of the most needed stuff over there, clothing, bedding etc.....so its a multi national effort amongst those of us who call Spain our home.

ColinC

Quote from: Frankie on May 19, 2011, 20:34:47 PM
"Only 1049"?  Put in to perspective that's more than 10 coachloads!

Bloody hell Frankie those are BIG coaches!! LOL  !!

Reading the article that Gus gas posted it says a lot of the workers living in rented flats are agricultural workers who have just moved on! I wonder where to and with what!

Lets keep on gathering what information we can and take things as they come up..

Colin

ColinC

Gus, When we made the delivery yesterday the girl in the office said to keep looking on www.lorca.es for updates of what is happening and what is needed.. I have had a quick look and whilst they seem to have loads of things going on I am blowed if I can see any info on what else is required...

I have also posted a request on one of the Spanish Facebook sites to see what info I can get from there..

Colin

gus-lopez

Apparently there are now only 1049 people left homeless according to this article which is normally correct with it's details                                           

http://www.simplynetworking.es/news-6487-31-damaged_buildings_demolished_although_this_one_needed_little_assistance.html

nibbler

Judi.
I think there will come a time when they will need furniture but as Colin has said thats some way off.
I'm sure we'll be advised as and when.In the meantime I should keep furniture in reserve.

I'll probably be going back next Mon/Tue with Colin so keep up the good work.
Nibbler :tiphat:

judi bk

I have just copied this and sent it to friends and family in UK.  There is so little on UK news they must think it is all sorted.

You lads with the vans and Colin and Longos are doing a wonderful job :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have some more bedding to bring up today.  Will you eventually want furniture - we may have some

gus-lopez

Quote from: ColinC on May 18, 2011, 20:44:54 PM
Quote from: gus-lopez on May 18, 2011, 20:17:14 PM
Many thanks once again to all the people who contributed , & to Colin & Nibbler for their time & patience in bringing it all up. The amount was amazing  .  They've actually moved everybody to the Lorca football stadium as it's the end of season & they have huge car parking areas which they've set -up on. This makes it less congested in the town & easier for them distributing everything.

Is that where tent city has gone?

Colin

Sorry Colin , yes it's all up there at present until they sort out the housing. Now apparently they 've found cases of chicken pox & have vaccinated everyone against it plus 2,500 measles, mumps & rubella shots.
Quote from: Frankie on May 19, 2011, 07:18:50 AM
Scared to go back into their homes?  I would be too if I'd felt the over 22 recorded quakes that Lorca felt last wednesday!!!!

According to my Spanish neighbour they were a bit slow to get a relief appeal started among the Spanish but have now got their act together - mainly via the church.  Hundreds of young people have volunteered to assist in preparing meals each day for the 4,000 plus homeless in the area.

I'd certainly be concerned about returning  ! My neighbours sister was told last sunday that they could return to their apartment as after the second inspection it was deemed habitable. My wife saw the photo's & said that there was no way that she would have been going back with the amount of cracks  , damage , etc if it was ours.
We 're on the outskirts of the town behind the Parque Almenara & my wife & myself occasionally jump when a lorry or car & trailer comes along. So I can well understand the feelings of the people in town.
The fact that the church was a bit slow at the begining was understandable as all the churches in Lorca were damaged , most to a serious extent.
The least damaged one, & most modern ,suffered more damage on tuesday when attempts to dismantle an apartment block that was in imminent danger of collapse ,led to its collapse falling across the open space & on to the church building. We hope that things can only get better.

Rod

On Spanish TV this morning football match between Murcia and Real Madrid, stadium full, in aid of the victims of the Lorca earthquake. Great to see the top stars there doing their bit to help.

EllaD

This is just wonderful to hear and as well as helping the inhabitants of Lorca different nationalities are pulling together.   It will take a long long time for those poor people to come to terms with this but at least we will all be there to help them.   

Queen Clare Shirley

Also Colling the Card has been mentioned on Facebook as a drop off for the spanish and also AEPA are taking donations

Speaking to a spanish lady yesterday , two of the family are arquitects and they went friday,saturday and sunday as volunteers to help assess damaged buildings, she went along to help people as well, she said the feeling is although the houses have been cleared people are scared to go in, and sleep there also the slightest movement or noise the people are just terrified that another earthquake will happen.

One man saved himself literally by jumping from roof to roof as he felt his home start to crumble but so did the next three buildings next to it, so he is understandbly very shocked and unsettled. Also people were stuck in stairwells where half the stairs had gone so they couldnt escape. One lady lost her son and was too scared to go into her home but was desperate for her photographs and papers so this young lady did it for her

its very sad and its going to take this people a very long time to recover both mentally and also normality
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

jill cockfield

many Spanish people in Albox have donated through their local places of worship.

EllaD

Not that it matters much, but I'm just being nosey - Have the Spanish in Albox and surrounding areas donated?    The British will always be to the fore that's for sure, but as I said it would be interesting to know.     

ColinC

Quote from: Frankie on May 18, 2011, 20:53:51 PM
I am assuming that still more donations are needed?
What are the priorities now?

Hi Frankie,

They are still asking for clothing, bedding and toiletries. I did ask if they needed such things as kitchen equipment and furniture but apparently not yet, but may well do so in the future. I have a contact web address to keep an eye on for developments...

Colin

ColinC

Quote from: gus-lopez on May 18, 2011, 20:17:14 PM
Many thanks once again to all the people who contributed , & to Colin & Nibbler for their time & patience in bringing it all up. The amount was amazing  .  They've actually moved everybody to the Lorca football stadium as it's the end of season & they have huge car parking areas which they've set -up on. This makes it less congested in the town & easier for them distributing everything.

Is that where tent city has gone?

Colin

gus-lopez

ColinC

Just got back from taking the second load....

First of all thanks for all the babies bottles and assorted bits to go with them! I think they may have enough to go around now! and also they have enough water, it seems the supplies are getting through now.

So, the latest Saga, on the way over with Nibbler I gave Gus a call so that he could meet us to help unload the full van . Gus´s first response was ``hang on, it´s all gone!´´. Gus had gone to the same place we had gone to on Monday to find absolutley nothing except rubbish and the portable toilets.. All the tents had gone and the Cruz Roja.

After a few frantic enquiries Gus discovered that the distribution centre and reception had moved, we tried the first address that we had been given to find that it had moved yet again, this time to about 500 metres from where we had first started! To cut long story short we off loaded in a couple of different places on the same site to very grateful recipients.

They are still asking for clothing, bedding and toiletries. I did ask if they needed such things as kitchen equipment and furniture but apparently not yet, but may well do so in the future. I have a contact web address to keep an eye on for developments...

With regards to the vanishing tent encampment Gus has been told that all of the empty flats in the area have been commandered by the local authority as temporary solution so at least there is a proper roof over their heads. On another postive I noticed a lot of the flats that had been marked with the red circle (no one allowed in) had been changed to green circles (OK to occupy).. So things are improving but clearly there is a long way to go...

Thanks to everyone for their help and contributions..

Colin & Jill

ColinC

Sounds about right Frankie, The only thing I havent seen coming in and has been specifically asked for is babies bottles and teats..

Colin

Starynightsky

Hi all,

Obvisouly people have taken supplies up there and now know that there is demand for certain things.

Being a bloke... it would really help if someone could post up a list of items needed so we all know what to get.  :lol: I know that "everything" is needed but taking a pack of beers and a playstation 3 would not be helpful!!!!  (BLOKE ITEMS)

Thanks in advance

ColinC

Nibbler is bringing his van again tommorow and going by what has already come in again today we will have a very good load by tommorow lunch time..

Oh and by the way, if you do happen to come after we have closed, just take it into Longo´s they will keep it safe until the following morning for us (They hahad a couple of shopping trolleys full for us this morning)...

Colin

Crystal2

I have just received an e mail from The Dames of Turre asking for bedding etc...... all the things that Frankie has suggested  to be taken to The British Legion Section of Mojacar in  the Pueblo.  They have already sent a couple of truck loads to Lorca. 

It makes you realize that there is so much good in the British people when there is a distaster . 

Starynightsky

My other half bought some things today and will also be getting hold of some babies bottles etc.

Toilet rolls needed?????

jill cockfield

Just to add to the previous, quite a few people have said they don't really have anything to give. Can I please ask these people to buy a couple of toothbrushes or a comb, some shower gel or even a small pack of juice drinks.....we can ALL do something and it doesn't matter how small, everything is gratefully received. When you bring items in it would be good if the bags were not too heavy as we are using storage upstairs at Longo and some of the bags have been really heavy.....the amount is brilliant but maybe divided into more bags...our backs need taking care of. Once again a HUGE thankyou from us and the people of Lorca xxx

ColinC

Quote from: Babyboomer on May 17, 2011, 12:09:14 PM
Good news: Lorca schools start to reopen and 75% of town centre buildings declared habitable

Read more: http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_30511.shtml#ixzz1Mbg1Vvbg

According to the information we were given at the scene yesterday there are still 4,000 people without homes in the city... and that is a hell of a lot of people... According to a video posted on Facebook today, on Sunday they were still feeding 10,000 , so I guess the figure is somewhere between the two, either way it is a lot of people left with little or nothing.. With regard to the schools from what I can gather although many opened, many parents have been too frightened to let the children out of their sight.

Having taken a van load yesterday and seen the number of officals and volunteers involved they are a long way off celebrating just yet, but at least they seem very organised and the Red Cross are still appealing for support, in particlar personal hygene products and babies bottles!

temasek

I took some things today as well and am now getting personal hygeine stuff together.

Three cheers for Colin,  Nibbler and Gus-Lopez.  :wave :tiphat:
W.R.L.F.C.

EllaD

Took my donations down today Frankie.    On the trail of baby stuff now.    Thank you for setting up this site.    xxx

Babyboomer

Good news: Lorca schools start to reopen and 75% of town centre buildings declared habitable

Read more: http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_30511.shtml#ixzz1Mbg1Vvbg
Mark Drew email:mark1drew at gmail.com El Prado, Arboleas.

Bearroo

I dont really go into Albox, but there is now 2 collection boxes here in Fines, one in the cigarette and magazine shop and the other in te Farmacy, i brought a few sanitary bits and baby stuff yesterday and put it into the box its looking pretty full already, Keep up the good work everyone  :clap:

debs