Weeds!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Pennydot, February 18, 2013, 11:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gus-lopez

Quote from: brucie1 on April 08, 2013, 16:45:23 PM
we went in there to buy the 5 litre size  only to be told we needed a licence to purchase.  any suggestions as to how it can be purchased without the licence - or are you all talking about the powdered stuff that is similiar to the liquid
Yes , apparently they have changed the legislation by all accounts but you can still buy it up here, although you now have to give name address, NIE number etc. All of this must be shown on the factura & retained by the seller on his systems for official inspections.
One day They might even get round to making the spaniards account for all the plastic sheeting laid out in fields & then ploughed in after,Like you have to in the uk & retain for recycling.The EU regulations are the same for everyone. No I must be dreaming . :rofl:

brucie1

we went in there to buy the 5 litre size  only to be told we needed a licence to purchase.  any suggestions as to how it can be purchased without the licence - or are you all talking about the powdered stuff that is similiar to the liquid

gus-lopez

Quote from: olly on April 05, 2013, 20:22:31 PM
They also sell the Glyphos herbicida at the gunshop in 5 ltr containers at 28 Euros. This works out a lot cheaper, and lasts ages at 100ml/5ltrs which is the recommended dosage. It is rendered harmless when it goes into the soil, though it will see off any weed seeds that are in there, so is safe to use with animals, just keep them out of the garden when your spraying.
I have used this for quite a while now, and though it does'nt act as fast as Roundup, it is very efficient at killing weeds, just needs about a week to see them off. You'll also find that where you have sprayed, it will take a while before any more weeds appear there. The old farmers spray with this stuff once a year.

The actual dosage varies depending on what/where/type  the weeds are. I use 15ml/ litre +2ml/litre of another one, Coach,( now changed to Corner 24) added to it as recommended around my olive trees.
It all works on stopping the photosynthesis process & any untouched leaves continue to grow.
Let's have the Germoxene back. lol.

olly

They also sell the Glyphos herbicida at the gunshop in 5 ltr containers at 28 Euros. This works out a lot cheaper, and lasts ages at 100ml/5ltrs which is the recommended dosage. It is rendered harmless when it goes into the soil, though it will see off any weed seeds that are in there, so is safe to use with animals, just keep them out of the garden when your spraying.
I have used this for quite a while now, and though it does'nt act as fast as Roundup, it is very efficient at killing weeds, just needs about a week to see them off. You'll also find that where you have sprayed, it will take a while before any more weeds appear there. The old farmers spray with this stuff once a year.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

J.patner

I have hundreds of Naughty Weeds in my Garden. I have Animals and Little Children. But my other concern is using weed killer around Flowers!!!
My Garden is covered with Flowers and Catus. I need a Weed Killer that wont soak into the ground and kill my Flowers!! Any Advice out there please? Many Thanks J.P

Lorraine

Can't remember where we paid 18 Euros, but we honestly did!! Stupid I know. Saw that the man with the gun is painted over just this morning - Was having coffee in Valkiria when I noticed - sorry about that!!

indala

Round-up was €8.70 from Vera in December. La Veratense, on the righthand side of the road from the fiat garage down towards iceland. Next to the bio-carb petrol station.

alfie

Just as  amatter of interest, I paid €12.50 for a litre of Roundup in Antas. Wherever Lorraine bought Roundup from at €18 is over-charging!

soosoo

The guy in the Armoria (hunting shop) wrote down the amounts for me when we got some Glyphos there. Very helpful. The painted man with gun is no longer on the wall  but its easy to find anyway. It is a part of the plumbers Fontarboleas.

Pennydot

Thanks everyone, looks like I shall be using Glyfos; will check about the animals as I have 2 cats.  Any idea of the volumes to be used? i.e. amount of Glyfos to water?  My Spanish is OK, but the details on some of the stuff out here is a nightmare!

alfie

Lorraine

Near the Mora garage, just down a bit and has a man with a gun painted on it's wall - they sell loads of garden chemicals

alfie

Looks like I need to switch to Glyfos - whereabouts is the hunting shop in Arboleas please?

Elle1971

Quote from: terrytrees on February 18, 2013, 19:34:53 PM
I used glyphosate for many years in the U.K. The label on the Roundup used to state "pets need not be excluded from the treated area"

Thanks! xx
I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... Oh look!! A puppy!!
Find me on Facebook. I don't bite... often.

swithin

Hi, I have read that water from a salt water softener wil kill weeds but keep away from plants. Apparently the salt stops the weed from breathing or something and eventually kills it. As I have a new softener I will try an post if it works.

Swithin

terrytrees

I used glyphosate for many years in the U.K. The label on the Roundup used to state "pets need not be excluded from the treated area"
Terrytrees.

Elle1971

Is this Glyfos ok around animals please? Or do I stick to crawling around on my hands and knees picking out the weeds?

Elle xx
I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... Oh look!! A puppy!!
Find me on Facebook. I don't bite... often.

Crystal2

I had the same problem with weeds in the mud in the gravel after the flood and I used Glyfos as well.  Very effective and a lot cheaper

casablanca

Quote from: Lorraine on February 18, 2013, 14:02:35 PM
We used to use roundup until we discovered Glyfos at the hunting shop at Arboleas - it cost 7.75 for a litre whereas Roundup was 18 Euros. Same active ingredients.

I can second what Lorraine say's. I would go so far as to say it is probably better than Roundup.

Lorraine

We used to use roundup until we discovered Glyfos at the hunting shop at Arboleas - it cost 7.75 for a litre whereas Roundup was 18 Euros. Same active ingredients.

alfie

I use Roundup - the English ferreteria on the Antas trading estate stock it, but I am sure there are stockists in and arpound Albox.

Pennydot

OK, I am sure this is a question which has been asked many times, but what is the best thing to use on weeds!  We never had a major problem until the September floods, which left a lot of soil imbedded in our gravel, and I am sure there must be a spray or something which I can use, without too much damage to existing plants.
We do intend to take up all the gravel and wash it and relay the membrane, but till then I am getting a major backache weeding!
Please help me someone!