Looking for a Charity for the Needy

Started by Not_Asking_Much, March 18, 2013, 22:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not_Asking_Much

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone! I will follow up where I can on this.

As per my first post my emphasis is on 'worn but good' clothes - the weaker stuff that is too good to throw away, but not good enough for a typical charity sell-on.

Heather, that Fund Raiser in Vera sounds a likely place. Is it towards the town from the bull-ring? Walking distance from the bull-ring? Thanks.

Michaela Ann

MACS shop in Albox will gratefully take any clothes etc. in any state of repair, and things that are not sold in their shop will be sold on for recycling.

Thankyou!! :clap:

Heather Reed

Fund Raiser in Vera between the bullring and the Guardia next to the big Chinese todo shop.
They help needy folk, clothes are all 1 euro or sometimes given away if the need is great.

Michaela Ann

F.A.C.E - Fundraising in Arboleas caring for everyone are holding a nearly new Clothes sale on Tuesday 16th April 10 a.m - 2 p.m at Bar Internacional Diner (on the main road between Arboleas and Albox, opposite Los Llanos market site) come along and support this great charity, if you would like to donate any clothes & accessories for the sale,  Andrea & Fernando are happy for you to drop off at the Bar Internacional Diner.
Hope to see you all next week at the Nearly New Clothes Sale !!!!

Michaela Ann

I believe MACS in Albox pass on the unwanted clothes etc ...to another charity! No i´m wrong they sell them on and keep the proceeds!!

Lesley and Pete

There is a Spanish charity called Betel which has a stall on Los Llanos market on Saturdays.  They sell donated second hand clothes and work with people who are really at the bottom of their luck.  One of the girls is English, (Kerry), - they should be able to tell  you if either they or another charity could use your clothes.

Lesley

Not_Asking_Much

It turns out that the green 'charity' collection bin at the rear of Mercadona is actually for a commercial ragging company. For example, you put a perfectly good jacket in there and it'll be shredded with all the other clothes, sold on, and used for something like stuffing car upholstery.

I was hoping to find the preferable form of recycling where it's used for its original purpose, clothing. Eventually of course it can go in the ragging bin rather than landfill.

Any assistance in finding a charity taking in clothes etc, for the really needy would be appreciated.

Not_Asking_Much

Thanks to you both for the info.

Di, can you tell me how to find Plaza Mayor and also the clinic. Sorry, but I'm not very familiar with Albox. A business name or a road name would be great.

Mercadona, between America and Lepanto, no problem, thanks.

The only other area I know to some degree is the other side of town, the High School/Vets area, through to the Guarderia street.

HiDi

There's also Spanish bins on Plaza Mayor and, if I'm not mistaken, the clinic.

Di

annef

There are Spanish charity collection bins for clothing and shoes on the corner at the rear of Mercadona and also opposite the Post Office in Albox.

Not_Asking_Much

Hi.

Does anyone know of a charity that will take in 'worn but good' clothes? We've recently been getting rid of a lot of items to the usual charity shops in Arboleas and Albox, but the weaker stuff is often too good to throw away, but not good enough for a typical charity sell-on.

In these difficult times I'm sure there must be someone around here processing clothes etc, for the really needy.

Thanks.