Lighting Log Fire

Started by Rod, January 12, 2009, 18:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorraine

We use newspaper screwed up or tied into a knot, then small bits of wood (old pallet or twigs gathered) then one or two small logs or chunks of wood off larger logs. When that's going, put on larger logs.  Don't be in a hurry - it takes time to build up to logs that are half a tree like some of ours are.

HogRider

Ah Mike ! You take me back to the old 'Square of Fire' ! Heat, Fuel, Air and White 'ats, Take any of the four away and it'll go out !  :hat

Yorkshireman

Invite Ray Mears round for tea!
Ear all see all say nowt,eat all sup all pay nowt,and if tha ever does owt for nowt , allus do it for thisen!

mike challinor

Make some Paper "Logs" by rolling a full sheet of newspaper (free ones are ideal!!) from one top corner, then tie them in a knot and place into the burner. Then place a good layer of "kindling" (broken up old pallets are ideal), open both top and bottom draught shutters, light the front of the paper and shut the door of the burner. When the kindling is going well open the door and put a couple of smaller logs on - Bobs your uncle!!
In my previous life I could also put 'em out!!!
Mike Challinor

cathy

when l was a child, my dad always made the fire, the night before we ( my sisters and brothers) in turn made fire sticks out of paper, when they were made they looked like guns and we'd have a shoot out. Haaa, happy memories  :roll:

Mercurian

Personally I don't open the door until there is a good going fire and the paper is long gone.

lmj52

if you want to avoid smoke blowing back, dont use paper!
LMJ :thumbsup
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Mercurian

Quote from: "farmer"Hi Rod,

this usually works. Put some firelighters on the bottom,

SOME firelighters!!!!  One will do, plus a couple of paper sticks, a few small pieces of wood and Bob's your auntie.

paul-sue

Ring the Scout Association and ask them to send a Boy Scout round with two sticks.

Pete H

Use a blow lamp. It never fails!
Pete H

farmer

Hi Rod,

this usually works. Put some firelighters on the bottom, then some very loosely packed thin pieces of wood (twigs or such like, then 1 medium size log. make sure the top and bottom vents are open if this is a metal stove type log burner.Light the firelighters, making sure the  small bits of wood catch, once the big log starts to burn, then add extra logs one at a time as required making sure they catch before addin an extra one.

The trick is not to overload it as the air can't get around the logs and tey won't get hot enough.

Good luck,

Martin

Rod

Can anyone tell me of a simple and effective way of lighting your log fire?