Who pays

Started by Tilly, September 12, 2009, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario Solicitor

finally, is there is not any agreement between seller and buyer, is the buyer who has to pay these costs.

languagesolutions

QuoteI don't know where you get that from? I've been here getting on for 11 years, have owned 6 cars and know loads of other people who have bought and sold cars, apart from one single instance, it's always the buyer that pays the transfer fee, unless agreed otherwise. 

The way I see it, it could be one of two things:

- Coincidence. I've been living here for 14 years; been through the education system and my personality is more Spanish than English. I am always treated as a Spaniard when I deal with Spanish people. Whenever my Spanish friends and family, or I myself have bought or sold a car, the transfer and tax have been paid for by the seller.
Maybe in all others cases things are different.
- Changing things to get more money out of the Brits. When a Brit buys a new car, generally he/she is not told about offers and discounts, and ends up paying more than a Spaniard would. Maybe things are now different in the second-hand market too.

Just my point of view!
;)

Bowel Bugle

Quote from: languagesolutions on September 14, 2009, 19:45:55 PM
In Spain, it's common practice for the seller to pay. If not, it's usually stated otherwise.
For example: 1000 + transferencia.

Ben

I don't know where you get that from? I've been here getting on for 11 years, have owned 6 cars and know loads of other people who have bought and sold cars, apart from one single instance, it's always the buyer that pays the transfer fee, unless agreed otherwise.  :tiphat:

Mario Solicitor

You can agree with the seller who is going to pay these amounts, but the usual practice is that the buyer of the car is who pays the transfer and the corresponding tax.

Regards

languagesolutions

There's no law about it, so you haven't really been done. It's just common practice.
:)

Interested

I hope your wrong or i have been done, so far ive had 5 vehicles and paid every time as the buyer but i never paid as the seller, perhaps its up to those involved. I always took transfer fee into account each time so it worked out the same i guess.

languagesolutions

In Spain, it's common practice for the seller to pay. If not, it's usually stated otherwise.
For example: 1000 + transferencia.

Ben

jonboy

Hi Tilly, the answer is either party. When I bought my car the seller paid the tax as it worked out to be 900+ euros!
If your desperate to sell, you should build in the amount of tax payable into your selling price. It's safer that way as well.

Hope this helps John  :tiphat:
Age is just a Number on a Birthday Card!

gazs

Hi
It all depends on what was agreed at the point of sale but be carefull because if you leave it to the buyer and they dont transfer it into their name then you have a vehicle running around in your name which means anything comes back to you and thats just the fines the tax will continue building up in your name as well
Safe way is to make sure its done and dusted ie justicante issued by a gestoria  in the buyers name which is the start of the process
Regards Gary

Tilly

can someone please tell who pays for the change of name on the paperwork is it the person who is buying the car or the person who is selling  thankyou