Can Anyone Answer this Question ?

Started by alansue, April 26, 2013, 14:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

Alan, you could aways respond in a similar manner to the way I once answered a question at school - "I don´t know, why WAS Arboleas so named?"

Must admit I didn´t get many marks for that answer - well not those sorts of marks anyway....!

I think they called it insolence.....hey ho, happy days eh?

alansue

Thank you for all the answers, sensible and otherwise. At least I will not have to write 100 lines now, I Hope ?? Alan

Joe90

They should rename IT to "Little Britain"... ;)

Roger

The history of Arboleas and the Almanzora Valley goes back a long time.
I have given a potted history on my web site www.arboleaslive.com
Go on the left hand menu list.

But I do not think that Arboleas is named after Al Arbuli, rather the opposite.
It was originally called Arboreas, so would be given the name because of the large number of trees along the river valley; a lot more than now because in earlier days this area had a much higher rainfall.
According to the locals the regular rains ended around 1950.

Returning to Al Arbuli, the name of this local Sufi Muslim was Abu ben Abdalacis, Al Arbuli.
We can translate that as Abu son of Abdalacis, from Arboreas.

Woden

alansue

Have a look at the Arbiland web site, Roger has included a full explanation on there !

Woden

Tetley

Quote from: Optomist on April 26, 2013, 16:15:31 PM
Why would a hermit want signs pointing to his home .  :whistle:

i think it was to do with building regs years ago when the Arab folks were running the job,ie keep the ermit  folks separate to prevent overcrowding  :)
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

rt21

Quote from: webejamin on April 26, 2013, 16:19:26 PM
I took the sign down because I was fed up with people sticking their faces in to have a look, sometimes I didn't even have me pants on :o

maybe the sight of you without pants was the main attraction  ;D

Richard

mickandjan

Quote from: webejamin on April 26, 2013, 16:19:26 PM
I took the sign down because I was fed up with people sticking their faces in to have a look, sometimes I didn't even have me pants on :o

:rofl: :rofl:

webejamin

Tetley

Quote from: Malcolm on April 26, 2013, 14:49:17 PM
The name comes from an Arab writer who was born here in the 14th century called Abu Ben Abalacis Al Arboli, over the years the family name
became Arbolaya, nowadays Arboleas.

also just out of intrest there is a hermits cave somewere on the rhs before the pool bar ( yer carnt find it tho as the signs fell down  :) ) but i think its an historic site.

:tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Malcolm

The name comes from an Arab writer who was born here in the 14th century called Abu Ben Abalacis Al Arboli, over the years the family name
became Arbolaya, nowadays Arboleas.

Tetley

Rog is yer man i think as he did a bit of history abought Arboleas a few years back.... i think the name goes back to the muslim run times.

:tiphat:

sallyb

I cab only think it has something to with the number of trees.
Phyll

alansue

Why was "ARBOLEAS " so called ? Its a question the children at School have been asked. Your help would be appreciated or I will get 100 lines !!! Thank you. Alan