Links in posts

Started by byrney, January 17, 2015, 13:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

Oh don't worry Doreen, you'll be safe downstairs.  Nobody knows how to do it down there!

doreen1

I don't know what you are all talking about but I'm frightened now. :tongue:

nibbler

Byrney, you won't get any from me as I've got no idea how to put a link on in the first place. Doh.
Nibbler :tiphat:

Babyboomer

The link issue is a real issue when it is shortened and masked. For example: on this site there are blue links like reply or additional options which have hidden scripts in them. Don't worry they are safe.

If the link is listed in full then you should be able to read it and recognise that it is not malicious.
For example http://www.arboleas.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=93958.0

Depending on your browser there are add-on tools that can check links before you open them. For example Short URL scanner that I use on Chrome browser.

If you are really paranoid there are other tools like VT Chromizer it will Search with VirusTotal things like (hash, url, @user, tag): for malicious code.
Mark Drew email:mark1drew at gmail.com El Prado, Arboleas.

webejamin

Good point byrney, seen it happen before, when you opened a link up it kept popping up on its own accord :o

macc

Quote from: byrney on January 17, 2015, 13:47:16 PM

Have I been reading too much stuff on terrorists for my own good?  (It sprang to my mind as there is a warning against doing this on the chat area of one of the TV streaming sites).
Byrney, once you start reading about Obama, Blair and Bush, you can get a little paranoid. :whistle:

byrney

I thought about putting this in the IT bit but decided it might be relevant to us all.

Before anybody gets defensive, I am NOT having a go at anyone, because I have done this myself in the past.

We all know that it is iffy to open up an attachment to an email from a source we don't know, but should this also apply to a link provided in a post on the Forum, or, is the Forum's security system sophisticated enough to filter out any problem links?

I am just wondering, because if we end up with a Troll in our midst, or some other undesirable wishing to cause mischief,  s/he may well feed us a link which could do us untold damage.

Have I been reading too much stuff on terrorists for my own good?  (It sprang to my mind as there is a warning against doing this on the chat area of one of the TV streaming sites).