"Gestores" and lawyers

Started by Carmen Torrecillas, November 12, 2015, 10:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Torrecillas

Hi JoJoB,

This forum is a good place to start to find out who you can and can't trust, both in and out of business and finances.

Regards,

Susan Leach
Cutting through your red-tape....

webejamin

Snap!!! Jo-JoB but saved by the skin of me teeth, once bitten, twice shy :tiphat:

Jo-JoB

It is all well and good, arguing over small print about who is responsible for what etc, but how can someone who first genuinely wants to relocate their life to Spain, has sufficient funding to live comfortably in Spain but has absolutely no idea, which Lawyer's, Gestor's, Estate Agents Etc are as you put it, ''driven by integrity, professionalism, honesty, experience and dedication, as well as a proven and demonstrable track record''.

How can you find out this information? Who do you trust? The internet is full of horror stories of those who have lost life savings, homes, livelihoods, and futures, due to errors, corruption, malpractice, and lies.

It does seem sometimes that you're walking through a financial minefield, with everything to lose if you make a mistake.

This is not a rant, this is a genuine question. I did my research, asked questions, went off a recommendation from a ''professional'' and ended up very disappointed and out of pocket.

Carmen Torrecillas

Exactly.  The extract saying that it's worth using a gestor, that they aren't expensive and that some are better than others was taken from:

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Spain/Articles/Visas-Permits/The-legal-system

Amanda Oakley

Well stated points.
In all professions, regardless of qualifications, the overiding ethos of any business (in my opinion), should be driven by integrity, professionlism, honesty, experience and dedication, as well as a proven and demonstrable track record.
Obviously, with all required legal paperwork including insurance, data protection etc,.
Regards

Amanda Oakley
ALO Services (Zurgena)
Conveyancing and General Legal Services
info@aloservices.es
Tel 950 449179 / 667 994682

marimar

Another question to clarify

""The quality of service provided by gestores varies considerably and they cannot always be relied upon to do a professional job (some have been known to take money and do absolutely nothing)".

This is something that you can say in relation to a lawyer or a gestor, it is not a question of lawyer or gestor, depends on the person, the important thing is to find  the best professional to deal with the problem.The two professionals used to have the same formation Degree in Law from the University.

It is not necessary to disqualify a professional for the benefit of another, when they are similar activities. He is not a question of names it's be good professionals and customers who use some and others who have to give their opinion.

Carmen Torrecillas

Thank you for the additional information Marimar.

I didn't say a gestor is never a lawyer.  I said "gestores aren't lawyers".  With hindsight I should have included the word "necessarily."

I stand corrected:

GESTORES AREN'T NECESSARILY LAWERS.

marimar

Just to clarify:

What do you need to be a legal Gestor in Spain( not an Asesoria which is totally different)

-   You need to have an University  Degree in Law  or Economy
-   You need to be registered in a professional College
-   You need to be covered by a profesional insurance that covers your legal services.

There is a legal option you can be regestered as a Lawyer and Gestor.

Then you cannot say Gestor is not a Lawyer, sometimes you  can be both or not.
You can use a gestor and trust on his job, like trusting on a lawyer, depends the services that you need to use. But the problem is not if you are a gestor or a lawyer, if both are registered according to the Spanish Law and they are professional both can be use trusting on both

The only thing that is not normally done by a gestor is taking to the Court.Unless this gestor is registered as a lawyer asswell, in this case not any problem

Carmen Torrecillas

REMOVED.