Water Wars over proposed price increases

Started by Maura, July 09, 2016, 15:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

Quote from: Maura on July 11, 2016, 20:57:32 PM
The purported benefits include increased rates of efficiency and productivity, the provision of similar services at a lesser cost and short term financing for works.  With regard to the latter Gestagua invests money in the network to provide infrastructure improvements and efficiencies that a town cannot otherwise afford in return for a contract to manage the service for a specified period of time.
Given the choice between a quango like organisation such as Galasa, apparently run by a group of good 'ol boys,  and a private company that is part of the international utilities group SAUR (who have a contract with Scottish Water) I can see why the decision could be justifiable.

Thanks for that Maura. I note your phrase 'purported benefits'!

Similar arguments and justifications were used when we first set up PFI contracts to develop and manage major infrastructure in the UK. However I trust the Gestagua input proves more beneficial and affordable for the residents of Albox.

If it is a successful formula, why aren't the other smaller Towns covered by Galasa doing the same? In fact wouldn't there be economies of scale if all the local Towns got together on this one?

Maura

The purported benefits include increased rates of efficiency and productivity, the provision of similar services at a lesser cost and short term financing for works.  With regard to the latter Gestagua invests money in the network to provide infrastructure improvements and efficiencies that a town cannot otherwise afford in return for a contract to manage the service for a specified period of time.

Given the choice between a quango like organisation such as Galasa, apparently run by a group of good 'ol boys,  and a private company that is part of the international utilities group SAUR (who have a contract with Scottish Water) I can see why the decision could be justifiable.

guest4538

Quote from: Maura on July 11, 2016, 13:17:47 PM
.... That is an issue for Gestagua, the company that administers the water supply on behalf of Galasa and whose job it is to deal with these sorts of enquiries. 

Maura,

Apart from adding to the costs, what extra does Gestagua do for the residents of Albox?

Galasa seem to do their own administering in other areas, like Arboleas! Yet, like Arboleas Town Hall, Albox Town Hall is a Galasa shareholder! So who gains from this seemingly complex arrangement?

Maura

Fair point Rod. I'll see if I can find out more about the specifics for Albox.

Rod

Sorry Maura, but you put in you blog that the water has not gone up since 2008. Perhaps you could go into the matter with them as this is clearly untrue,  and also clearly not your fault as you can only give the figures you are presented with. I appreciate all the work that you do representing the expat community and as you do you are in a unique situation to bring this matter to them. Thanks Rod

Maura

Hi Rod..... My job is to keep you informed of events that impact residents and to intervene where necessary in my role as councillor. I will keep everyone advised as to the outcome of this ongoing dispute but I am not getting involved in discussions regarding billing structures, errors in bills or complaints. That is an issue for Gestagua, the company that administers the water supply on behalf of Galasa and whose job it is to deal with these sorts of enquiries. 

Rod

On the blog it says prices have not increased since 2008 but I am with Gestagua and they most certainly have. I have two bills saved and one on the 10-3-14 for the use of 26 cubic metres is for 42.74 euros, another one for 8-4-15 for the use of 26 cubic metres and is for 55.44 euros, iva rate remains the same at 10%. I have another two with similar readings, 11-12-12 of 41cm for 63.82 and the other of the 1-6-16 of 44cm and is 113.27.
Why the discrepancies, is it because Gestagua is a different company and charge different rates than Galasa? If so will they put up their prices by 30% when Galasa do?
These are important questions for someone who cannot take out water from the fuente and whose pension is shrinking thanks to the lower pound.

Maura

https://maurahillenalbox.blogspot.com.es/2016/07/water-wars-over-proposed-price-increases.html

Those of you who read the Spanish press will be aware of a growing dispute between the PSOE lead councils and those controlled by the PP regarding proposed increases in the price of water supplied by the utility company GALASA. I have provided an overview of the latest position on the blog.