Amazon Espana

Started by rt21, March 18, 2018, 08:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

Quote from: Elgin on March 18, 2018, 12:22:22 PM
I always use a Euro (Spanish) credit or debit card on Amazon.es and Amazon.de and a UK (GBP) debit card on Amazon.co.uk.  However, if you don't allow Amazon to do the currency exchange the bank / credit card company will give you a better rate BUT in most circumstances will charge you a fee (a few UK cards don't charge). 

I think the advice is always pay in the retailer's local currency to get the better exchange rate. If instead, you elect to pay in your card's currency, then the retailer should tell you how much it would charge in that currency before you complete the purchase: you have the choice not to proceed if the exchange rate is unacceptable.

Quote from: Janad20 on March 18, 2018, 12:14:02 PM
My experience with Amazon was not a good one, reference using my Spanish debit card on an Amazon UK purchase. The exchange rate I was charged was exorbitant to say the least. At the time the rate was 1.13€ to the £. I was charged 1.30€. I can only surmise that using an English card to purchase on the ES site would also incur some ridiculous rate of exchange AND you wouldn't believe the b****cks I was given when I queried the rate. No wonder he is or was  the richest man in the world. 

If you elected to pay in €'s, you should have been told how much it was going to cost you in €'s before you completed the purchase. If Amazon failed to inform you of the price, then you would have a valid complaint. Amazon could correct this by crediting your card for the original purchase and re-charging your card in £'s.

If you made the purchase in £'s with a Spanish € debit card then your Spanish bank would have determined the exchange rate and charges. I don't know how easy it is to find out your bank's charges: there appears to be little clarity about such matters in Spain!

Fortunately using a UK credit card to purchase from Amazon.es is generally ok when paying in €'s: it is never worthwhile paying in £'s. Information on rates and charges are readily available for paying in €'s: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#bestbuys. The Halifax Clarity Credit card gives the best possible exchange rate, and there are no charges: which makes it even better than Transferwise!

Elgin

I always use a Euro (Spanish) credit or debit card on Amazon.es and Amazon.de and a UK (GBP) debit card on Amazon.co.uk.  However, if you don't allow Amazon to do the currency exchange the bank / credit card company will give you a better rate BUT in most circumstances will charge you a fee (a few UK cards don't charge). 

Janad20

My experience with Amazon was not a good one, reference using my Spanish debit card on an Amazon UK purchase. The exchange rate I was charged was exorbitant to say the least. At the time the rate was 1.13€ to the £. I was charged 1.30€. I can only surmise that using an English card to purchase on the ES site would also incur some ridiculous rate of exchange AND you wouldn't believe the b****cks I was given when I queried the rate. No wonder he is or was  the richest man in the world.  

rt21

Many thanks sandralos and Lynden for your help. It is much appreciated

Richard

Lynden

Ordered lots of stuff from Amazon.es using mu UK account. No problem at all.

sandralos

rt21

I am considering buying something on Amazon Espana, which I have never done before. I logged on to the Spanish site with my UK account details, which was not a problem. Would I be right in thinking that I can simply use my UK credit card to make the purchase? 

Richard