Mcdonalds in albox?

Started by PH0215, March 17, 2018, 14:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

Wonder why no ex-pats think of introducing an up-market traditional Spanish restaurant / tapas bar?

There is definitely a better market than traditional fish and chips, English Sunday lunches, karaoke / curry nights- IMHO

OSCARPED

I would like a Mc D or KFC or both. ???
For those who bang on about eating like the Spanish ! Friday night night Bowling ally there's a queue for Fish & Chips
Chinese or Indian you need to book a table
How many GOOD Spanish restaurants are there (NOT TAPAS BARS) ???
LIVE AND LET LIVE

Queen Clare Shirley

Its the way they have been brought up, I don't finish till 8.30 at night so I cant eat until 9 at the earliest
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

raysun

Sorry ph  looks like pigs trotters and pigs head and spicy chorizo all spanish stlye for you. Not forgetting spanish black pudding.  Yum yum.!!
you can have chips of course !!!  Enjoy.

PH0215

So no McDonald's then??   :a102:

KJH3

Totally agree with your large post Queen Clare Shirley, each to their own with regard to food likes and dislikes, as the old saying,  one mans meat etc.  To be able to have such a diverse choice is a great asset. I also agree with the other poster saying they think any of the big chains would struggle to make it pay in Albox or surrounding area. They need high turnovers to offer what they do.
However one Spanish custom I cannot get used to is the late meals. If I have my evening meal later that 8pm I can lie awake for hours. Eating late at night is not for me but may suit others. 

JessicaH

Wherever we live world doesn't mean one should feel impelled or bullied into liking the cuisine or dissing food from our country of birth.
Many English " local delicacies" ..tripe, faggots, whelks ...are certainly not for me.

Same living in Spain...and anything served with Pil Pil, which Rayson, having looked at photos of your description of Bacalao en Pil Pil realise that is not how it is served in Murcia where the preferred salsa is almost translucent + heavy on the garlic and salt.
This IMO gives it a slimy texture and one of the rare Spanish dishes I prefer not to have again.
Would be interested to know if and how it is cooked in Azabache.

Paella. Nicest I have had was cooked by our Spanish friends. Light and fluffy rice with caracoles and rabo.

But then, as Queen Shirley wrote, if you really want to to imbibe in the flavours and tastes of Spain dine with the Spanish.
This we do often and all are incredibly good cooks.

And when we are the hosts our friends enjoy an English roast.

Strange world isn't it ?  Buying exactly the same products but cooking them slightly differently turns a Spanish meal into an English one.

jonandeve

There are lots of things I like about the UK but McDonalds is not one of them. Ditto KFC, Burger King, Subway etc.

guest14507

I am not sure a McDonalds would that popular once the summer and the tourists have gone. Judging by the previous comments I think they would struggle to turn a profit.

Queen Clare Shirley

Still coming to terms that my daughter loves octupus, but hey each to their own, she doesnt like cauliflower cheese which I adore

raysun

At last someone who knows the value of quality food even if a lot of the shellfish comes from ireland.
Jessica , bacaloa pil pil should have a garlic sauce more like mayonnaise and certainly not slimey as you said.
Try  the paella in the azabache off the a la carte men ordering beforehand.
Just my opinion of course before  i get jumped on !!

lorrydriver

LOVE Weetabix but why pay for them in a uk shop when they are in Mercadona???????

Dreamer

We are under 50 with 3 kids none of us are bothered about mcdonalds and when living in the uk would probably have it 3 times a year. My kids prefer fish, mussels, clams, squid, chorizo, paella, sliced potatos and veg and this is what we ate in the uk so have not changed what we eat here.

StellaL

McDonalds not my cup of tea, but if that is what people want yo eat it is up to them. I wish Denny's would cross the Atlantic. Fantastic food and brilliant prices.
Stella

Queen Clare Shirley

At the end of the day People have vary differing tastes

Each generation discovers more and more different delights

The Spanish have now discovered takeaway food, I've been here since a child and I can tell you when the first Burger King opened in Torrevieja in 1993, all my school friends and me were over the moon, because previously it meant a trip to Alicante, where we would have McDonalds for lunch and Pizza hut for dinner before getting the bus home.

I personally like McDonalds its not fine dining its not every day fare its a quick bite to eat and they have more than just burgers!!, its a treat for us and the kids, I like it because they cater for me as a coeliac which can be hard for other takeaways. If you take a look at the Kebab house on Avenida Lepanto its always busy with diverse international clientele.

My Spanish boss doesn't eat Gambas Pil Pil or Magra they are tapas. She has Migas, Macaroni or Arroz. She has fried egg and chips for tea or perhaps a bit of fish or fried broccoli sometimes its just cold meats and bread with some chopped tomatoes with olive oil. If you lived with a Spanish family you would be surprised at what they eat and how they eat. Spanish restaurants fare is not what is served at home its restaurant and a lot of menu of the day restaurants round here have adapted their menus to cater to the English ie adding veggies to the main plate.

There is nothing wrong with having a Chinese or an Indian or even having an ENGLISH!!!! We now live and eat in a  multicultural worlds, whether it is a tagine or pulled pork , no one can say its right or wrong.  Older generations would never have dreamed of having a lasagne or curry.

I can quite clearly remember when Mercadona got their first ready meal!!!!! Something that the States have had since the 50/60's and was incorporated into the Uk in the late 70's and now the Uk population spend over 5 million a day on.

What the Spanish find amusing is the English still eat so early , whereas they will eat after 9ish or even 10 Spanish can't believe that there are Expats over here who have their dinner at 6pm!!

We mix our cuisine, finally we can eat Chinese again at home, or a curry or maybe rice. Every now we may mix it up have a pizza night or enchiladas with nachos to start.

Albox will never get a Mcdonalds, Vera might or even Mojacar now that they have Fosters ( which according to Hubby is crap and he'd rather go to Mcdonalds) which is the one of the most popular Americana themed restaurant in Spain. I dont want one here I enjoy the treat of going every now and then for Maccy D with the kids.

Ps Weetabix is very popular here, their Spanish Facebook is full of Spanish people telling them how much they love them, if you are going to diss the Weetabix why not Corn flakes or Smacks same thing!!!!! Im eagerly awaiting the day they bring out GF weetabix

zilnor

I should really have made it clear in my previous post that I would not choose to eat McDonalds or kebabs anywhere in the world.
But each to their own. Live and let live.  :72:

JessicaH

Rayson, I wasn't a client of McD's, except when with grandkids, in UK but the point I am making is the Spanish like these fast food outlets so who are we to deny them!!!!! Especially when these franchises are run by Spanish people.
If I wanted a Brit cafe then I would be living in Camposol or Benidorm or similar.

Am amazed  you don't know Bacalao en Pil Pil but then perhaps it is because we have lived in area 99% Spanish since 2006.
It is a very popular Spanish dish. Served in all the best restaurants . Just isn't to our liking because it has a slimy texture.

Last few days have cooked magra con tomate, solomillo y salsa pimiento, pancetta al horno and this evening it was carillado con salsa tinto.
Admit did deviate from Spanish cuisine because with our meals we had fresh, Spanish grown vegetables and boiled pots..instead of salad and chips.

The ingredients for all of these dishes is readily available in UK so you will, hopefully, forgive me when I write
tomorrow it will be Cumberland bangers and mash and later this week a curry. :kiss:

ajc

jessicaH , my childrens Spanish freinds do like the fast food outlets and long for them to be available in this area,
i dont actually eat american fast food stuffs but do agree with you.
i think people need to take a look at what the Spanish shovel down their throats not all as healthy as you may think,most of the local shops
are rammed full of , cakes , biscuits more cakes , sweets and crisps oh and all sorts of chorizo type foods and fizzy drinks, live and let live i say !

raysun

Jessica, why come to spain to live provided of course that you live in spain and not try the local food.
Slimy cod dish.??? Goodness. Where have you been dining ??
Not sure what age has to do with it.
Im not young but i avoid english cafes run by people with no background in catering like the plague.
And its great to agree at last zillnor.
Last time was about hotpants i think.!!!

JessicaH

The younger..under 50 generation of Spanish love fast food outlets be they McD's, Pizzas , Mexican and  Fosters Hollywood. These venues are constantly busy...
So, forgive me for not understanding, but just because some expat Brit pensioners  living here don't like these fast food outlets what right have we to deny our Spanish hosts the pleasure.
Also..
Would love to know, apart from migas, paella or the famous slimy garlic cod dish, what is considered a typical Spanish meal using some ingredients unavailable in UK.

twojaysalmeria

zilnor

raysun.

I agree with you. Must be a first,  :93: :08:

raysun

Everyone to their own but living in spain longing for mc donalds and kebabs  ????

janice59

I would also like to know whats wrong with weetabix!!!

Travo

MC Donald's, you've got to be joking

JessicaH

So the constant spraying of the fruit and vegetables, lorrydriver, ..doesn't count as being a chemical hazard.... :32:

felipe

I am intrigued to know what is wrong with Weetabix. The Spanish that I know love it. It is a cereal as is corn flakes etc.

lorrydriver

Always amazed to see folk buying so much uk food which is all processed etc and expensive. Have seen someone buying Weetabix!!!!! Brit sausages are all full of rusk etc where as spanish are one hundred per cent meat. Spanish food is not full of chemicals etc. Chickens in the uk are pumped full of water to push up the weight. This area is slowly changing not all for the good but does give the spanish employment which is necessary.

Marmite

Quote from: PH0215 on March 17, 2018, 14:15:57 PM
Who thinks there is not enough fast food/takeaways in our area? I think there is a lot of us who would appreciate a McDonald's in albox??
Yes that would be good
Plus the grandkids would love it I think Lorca is a bit far to go.

zilnor

Did'nt know that Lynden. Perhaps they include  a by-product of beer. !  :93:

Lynden

Quote from: hartcjhart on March 18, 2018, 00:56:15 AM
Quote from: Optomist on March 17, 2018, 16:30:20 PM
I dont like fasts food with one exception and i do wish there were some here , proper English Kebab Take aways , i used to love a Doner Kebab once in a while . Here there either Chicken , Beef or a mixture of both but the traditional English Kebab is Lamb .

:043: :043: :043:
english kebabs
Well to be fair they are made in Burton on Trent.... from all sorts of stuff. Lol

hartcjhart

Quote from: Optomist on March 17, 2018, 16:30:20 PM
I dont like fasts food with one exception and i do wish there were some here , proper English Kebab Take aways , i used to love a Doner Kebab once in a while . Here there either Chicken , Beef or a mixture of both but the traditional English Kebab is Lamb .

:043: :043: :043:
english kebabs

fidgetmidget

The reason there is a lack off is due to no or very few fast food chain franchises being allowed in Spain, it would  put the locals out of business, Mojacar being a great example, who wants McDs anyway, just spent an hour in one tonight with the grandchildren, hasten to add not a morsel of food or drink passed my lips, I find it disgusting food and still can't work out what the attraction us?
Fidget Midget
Wer'e all going on a European Tour - Up The Clarets!
www.benidormsoulfiesta.com

JessicaH

Am amazed at the arrogance of some folk, particularly those who no longer live in Spain, who think they have a right to dictate what folk here should or should not eat.
Judging by how busy Indian and Chinese restauarants, Fosters Hollywood and Lorca McD's are the indigenous folk adore these fast food outlets irrespective of how fresh the local produce is.

SH84