Help needed - Paint and old houses

Started by Amanda Oakley, March 16, 2018, 21:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter and Frances

We bought a type of special paint white colour to resist damp (sorry cannot remember the name) from Su Pin in Albox I painted it on the freshly plastered boundary walls followed by normal external paint approx four years ago and no problems so far it is not cheap approx 100€ for 25lts

Johnossie

In the UK you can buy a moisture repellent that is used for flooring. I beings a floor layer for 30 years have used it many times and can recommend it. There are 2 options available and which one you use depends on the amount of damp there is. One is a two part epoxy and is usually applied using a trowel or paint brush. This is used for areas with a 95% moisture problem. The other is a rapid dpm which is applied using a paint roller or brush. Both can be painted over.
The best we have used are the Ardex products but there are cheaper versions out there such as f balls or tremco.
If you google these you can judge for yourself if they are suitable. I can assist in getting some delivered here if you are having trouble as well.

Jimel

Our Spanish builder neighbour ended up tiling the lower half of the walls in his house,and the house wasn't exactly old,just damp as hell.

ray

My Spanish neighbour drilled numerous holes of about 150 mm diameter, half way into to the wall, along the outside. Similar to an air brick, he assured me it works.

sallyb

We had the same problem in UK where we had a semi basement, as has been suggested here hubby build a false wall. He used plastic sheeting on the wall then battened over and put cedar wood on battens worked a treat. A false wall would be cheapest solution.
Phyll

JessicaH

Just reread your post and injection method is a no go.
According to my husband.well versed in UK building trade, the only possible solution is to level the ground outside, take walls back to brickwork and " tank up " with a thick membrane. Similar to what is done in cellars and  lorrydriver did.

JessicaH

Recently went to the 1866 built Casa de Cinë in Almeria and noticed holes had been drilled at the base, just above ground level, of a wall so presumably there is a product available now that can be injected to protect against damp.
College of architects should know who can advise you.
Hope you get it sorted.

lorrydriver

We have a two hundred year old casa and lived here twenty years. Have gone through all the options and the only two that work are - digging out from the floor up two metres line the space with black plastic then rebuild the wall and when dried out re render. This works a treat and is the end of the problem. Other option is to tile.

Elgin

Just a thought.  We believed we had a big rising damp problem in parts of the house but eventually found out that most of the issues was leaking waste water pipes one from the bath at one end of the house and the other from a shower at the opposite end.  If the walls are damp and it hasn't rained for a while then it might be leaking pipes.

steveconway24

Plaster board (Pladur) on 30mm aluminium profile. You only loose 42-45mm off your room size.
Use the green board that's normally reserved for bathrooms etc, and put a 150mm vent plate near the bottom on each wall.

Roger

My niece had the same problem.
The Spanish builder said the only long term solution is to build a false wall with an air gap.
It was simple and works perfectly.
Of course not always possible.

nibbler

You and me both Amanda. If you find one outside of the forum could you PM me please.
Nibbler. :051bye:

Amanda Oakley

Hi

We need some help relating to to painting old stone walls (in some areas very damp) in our old BEAST of a house....... we have a couple of rooms in which we have tried all the "normal" methods to no avail.....
We cannot prevent the damp coming through as level of the ground outside is high
We have stripped back
Tried Morcem and Mojacar Blanco but they "blow" quickly
Have tried layers of diluted "latex" and "PVA"

Paint either stays on for a couple of days and then crackles or it stays on longer but turns to an ever giving supply of powder !!!!
HELP PLEASE
XXX
Amanda Oakley
ALO Services (Zurgena)
Conveyancing and General Legal Services
info@aloservices.es
Tel 950 449179 / 667 994682