Life expectancy for a dog with Leish

Started by Rtis, August 06, 2018, 17:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rtis

We have had him for 11 years , but the vet thinks he is around 16, he appears to have perked up quite a lot recently,we now put his food bowl beside him as he cannot stand for long, we have also managed to cut his claws (1 every other day) while he is in a deep sleep !we bought a set of cutters recommended by a vet in the UK, SAFARI Cutters, fantastic, especially with his Deformed strong claws, the vets here  do not have the same quality and it cost 50 euros to TRY and put him out !!! Thanks again for a reply .

Slarty

Hopefully you have have had him on meds for leish since it was diagnosed, this can help considerably.
Large dogs do not live as long as small dogs, 11 years is getting up there, if you check this site it may give you an idea of his expected lifespan not taking into consideration leish:

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/dog-life-expectancy

Another thing to consider is a dog can be suffering without showing any signs, if you are concerned about him, please take him to a vet for a checkup.

Angieh

You know what is right for your boy. Don't try and justify by other means or opinions. You love him , he loves you, dignity on both counts. You are able to help him, do it with the knowledge that you did  what was right for him. So sorry for your dilemma , but....

Rtis

Thanks for the reply, We agree with what you are saying, last night on the 'net looking up the "Final Solution" for him, overdose of Sleeping pills, other "Remedies" mostly yank junk !! He sleeps outside in the terrace summer or winter, NO blood was evident after the last mop up, on the drive this morning very chirpy, (wagging his tail !!) just had his tea and a Litre of water ! Now inside with us as he doesn't like thunder !! It is hard to look at what is the best for an animal, they cannot tell you the aches etc !

twojaysalmeria

I think you'll hate me for this but, having had dogs in my life for 60 years or so, I have come to the conclusion that one has to consider whether the dog's quality of life is still good enough to attempt to carry on when they get to a ripe old age and they start having multiple problems. It hurts like hell to take that last trip to the vet but...well, it's a call each of us has to consider sometime when we share our lives with these wonderful creatures.

I wish you both all the best and much strength.

J

Rtis

Our very large dog has the bug, we have had him about 11 years, before that he was ill treated by a local but escaped and appeared on our drive caked in snow, he has had some extreme nose bleeds over the last few years (some today) cannot walk very far as his back legs appear to be stiff,even groans when trying to sit down,drinks water like a camel, eats once a day sometimes not even that day,does anyone know what is the best for him ? The vet was amazed that he is still alive ! Thanks for reading.