Types of Gas Bottles > Butano/Propano

Started by DLMcN, May 24, 2024, 17:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

I live in Albox town and have mains gas, so no bottle hauling. My wife prefers to cook on a gas hob rather than electric. We have a gas water heater and my last 2 month bill was 48 euros.

lmj52

Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Elgin

Quote from: Tetley on June 02, 2024, 09:01:23 AMgenuine question

why are you all using gas anyway  ?

I am GANA all electric I leave the electric water heater on all the time on the stat my bills are 45/50 e per month

and as for those mobile bombs /carbon monoxide genarator  heaters ....NO WAY

oil radiator only which will put probably 30e a month extra on the bill if it was left on ,in winter

why have we got pensioners hauling gas bottles around when you can just flick a switch ?

I need to switch over as my leccy is free

Angleseyite

Quote from: Tetley on June 02, 2024, 09:01:23 AMgenuine question

I am GANA all electric I leave the electric water heater on all the time on the stat my bills are 45/50 e per month

oil radiator only which will put probably 30e a month extra on the bill if it was left on ,in winter

why have we got pensioners hauling gas bottles around when you can just flick a switch ?

For me Tets, it's the diversity of energy, as the Lecky can be easily disrupted during storms etc, and the weight lifting is good for the muscles and bone structure, but that's just me, and the wife of course  :grin:

Tetley

genuine question 

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Tetley

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Angleseyite

Quote from: DLMcN on June 01, 2024, 19:03:03 PM
Quote from: Angleseyite on May 31, 2024, 16:39:04 PMThis topic is a bit of a non event  :grin:

I have found it quite helpful - because it has clarified several issues...

I would therefore like to thank everybody who contributed.

My comment was tongue in cheek hence the emoji, glad it enlighten you though..

DLMcN

Quote from: Angleseyite on May 31, 2024, 16:39:04 PMThis topic is a bit of a non event  :grin:

I have found it quite helpful - because it has clarified several issues...

I would therefore like to thank everybody who contributed.

Angleseyite

Quote from: Not_Asking_Much on June 01, 2024, 16:48:02 PM
So you are very happy to pay 25% more for your butane from now on are you?

::)

I only ever buy the blue top bottles, so yes, not a problem for me.  :grin:

Not_Asking_Much

So you are very happy to pay 25% more for your butane from now on are you?

::)

Tetley

and here me ,thinking welding bottles & gases were complicated ie Argon ,co2,co2 argon mix ,Helium ........ :laugh:

Elgin

If you go to the Repsol website (https://www.repsol.es/particulares/hogar/bombona-butano-propano/) it shows that the old (heavy) bottles are available everywhere in Spain but the light (blue top) bottles are not universally available and that you have to check for availability.

lmj52

Quote from: Johnny73 on May 31, 2024, 19:21:48 PMA bit like the war of the gas bottles.  Now when do the water restrictions end ?!

Not for a while. Partaloa has just said no filling of pools from the mains. Be aware our source is not galesa. Everyone needs to do their best to save water.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Johnny73

A bit like the war of the gas bottles.  Now when do the water restrictions end ?!

Angleseyite

This topic is a bit of a non event  :grin:

Eddie

Repsol man in Albox today. Truck full of orange gas bottles (full) and ony 10 blue tops

SallyW

When the Repsol lorry came yesterday, once again he took my orange bottle and left me a blue top one (€19).  On the lorry all the orange bottles were used ones and the full ones blue tops.

Tetley

O  and also dears if you have just NLV  arrived .

get your gas pipes checked by Repsol and not some twxt in a van that turns up in an orange shell suit un announced and is  charging 200e for a 6 e gas pipe .

book with Repsol ,its around 60e and they will give you a certificate for your insurance cover  :afro:  

Johnny73

And well done to Alan for apologising for his mistake .
Alan does great work in the community , charity work etc and provides some very helpful info ,
Facebook or not.
Also a gentleman.

Tetley

Morning my fossil fuel burning dears  :shocked:

and also remember ,once you have checked your burner jetting out & appliance's 

don't forget one of these ,if you using the appliance inside the home ,especially those" Mini Bomb" gas fires 

https://www.amazon.es/X-Sense-Detector-mon%C3%B3xido-carbono-pantalla/dp/B0823XT23Q/ref=asc_df_B0823XT23Q/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=420418482440&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10020238833467477271&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1005500&hvtargid=pla-893778491255&mcid=99b8d3f736f5329fac997a9be3c7e666&ref=&adgrpid=98661084160&th=1

anyway the summer heat is on its way ,and the water will soon be off for days ...... :)) ,so if yev just moved in ,best check out a water deposito and keep your local plumbers busy  :wink:

DLMcN

Quote from: steveconway24 on May 27, 2024, 19:18:32 PM.... >

What I still do not understand is why an office Repsol driver (as they are the only ones driving around delivering gas bottles) would tell "Alan" that the normal bottles are being stopped? Then why he would share that misinformation on social media without checking the facts.🤔

Alan has just published the following apology on FaceBook:

With reference to the post ... dated 4th April 2024. I would like  to correct what it said as it has caused misunderstanding. I was told by the Repsol Gas Delivery man that he was no longer deluvering the orange bottles, only the blue top oned. Not that they were  stopping the orange bottles totally. My mistake, I apologise.

steveconway24

Thank you.
I deal with so many enquiries, everyday, 70% are genuine that do need me to action them.
The other 30% take up more of my time by BS posted on Groups/Facebook, then I have to waste my time finding the truth behind the "misleading" postings.

Please, everyone, check out what you are about to say online before hitting "post".

DLMcN

Quote from: steveconway24 on May 27, 2024, 19:29:12 PMAnd then you repeat it as fact..... >>

[My post: ... The bottom line is that > Yes, they have now been phased out by REPSOL].

I apologise for my mistake... I wrote that^ after the conversations I had with the FontArboleas staff [when it did sound to me as if they were being phased out] - and before phoning TravelGas and learning the full story.

steveconway24

And then you repeat it as fact.....
But locating that^ post won't add anything important. The bottom line is that > Yes, they have now been phased out by REPSOL.

steveconway24

Simple solution to all this.
If you use gas bottles in your home, by law, you should have a gas cert, renewed, after an inspection, at least every 5 years.
Said cert should then be shown to the gas man or wherever you buy your gas from before a bottle can be swapped.

But I'm old school and believe in common sense.😏

What I still do not understand is why an office Repsol driver (as they are the only ones driving around delivering gas bottles) would tell "Alan" that the normal bottles are being stopped? Then why he would share that misinformation on social media without checking the facts.🤔

DLMcN

Quote from: steveconway24 on May 27, 2024, 18:11:09 PM
Quote from: DLMcN on May 26, 2024, 21:47:21 PM
Quote from: steveconway24 on May 26, 2024, 20:29:37 PM.... >

I would still like to see the thread you saw online saying Repsol are getting rid of them, just to pass on to the Repsol rep.

Yes, it was in Arboleas Life. On 4th April in that FaceBook site, Alan Pearce posted: "Repsol gas man delivered to me today. Only the blue top light weight gas bottles available. The man told me the heavy bottles are being stopped".

So that was a misunderstanding then?
..... > ...

Maybe not a misunderstanding ... Perhaps it was the lorry which drives all around the village [serving anybody and everybody, including people who do *not* have contracts] - rather than one which was delivering a specific order to Alan Pearce.

It does sound, however, as if Alan did not pursue the conversation [we would need to ask him directly] - in which case he might have learned more about the other options.

Quote from: DLMcN on May 27, 2024, 09:46:50 AM... they will sell them to customers with a contract - .... they will deliver those bottles to our house if we phone and place an order.

steveconway24

Quote from: DLMcN on May 26, 2024, 21:47:21 PM
Quote from: steveconway24 on May 26, 2024, 20:29:37 PM.... >

I would still like to see the thread you saw online saying Repsol are getting rid of them, just to pass on to the Repsol rep.

Yes, it was in Arboleas Life. On 4th April in that FaceBook site, Alan Pearce posted: "Repsol gas man delivered to me today. Only the blue top light weight gas bottles available. The man told me the heavy bottles are being stopped".

So that was a misunderstanding then?
Odd that something on a Facebook page would be incorrect 🤣

DLMcN

Quote from: Tetley on May 27, 2024, 10:25:57 AMthe issue here is checking out the manufacturer's spec for the appliance  , if the appliance goes pop and propain was not on the usable gas speq ,the insurance co and appliance manufacturer will walk away .....

so check your specs  :afro:

Quote from: felipe on May 24, 2024, 21:39:08 PMBe good, to know if propane can be used on junkers boilers

Thanks Tets -

Yes, the booklet for our Junkers Hydro 4200 does specifically mention propano as well as butano...

... as does the booklet for our Campingaz mobile heater.... I did, however, notice the comment: "En Francia, se prohibe totalmente utilizar otro gas que no sea el Butano"....

so maybe we should keep it on 'Low' if we do use it with Propane.

shadeseeker

Quote from: Penhallow on May 26, 2024, 18:58:19 PMAgree with Steve , they will never be phased out , so many people use bottle gas ,cheaper the better !
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

lmj52

From a bbq forum.....

Butane burns cleaner than propane as it will only produce carbon dioxide when lit. Energy Efficient – Compared to propane, butane usually produces around 12% more energy than propane when the same volume of each gas is burned. This makes butane particularly attractive to those who light up their BBQ a few times a week.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Tetley

the issue here is checking out the manufacturer's spec for the appliance   , if the appliance goes pop and propain was not on the usable gas speq ,the insurance co and appliance manufacturer will walk away .....

so check your specs  :afro:

DLMcN

I've just spoken to Laura in REPSOL (Travelgas Levante) in Vera: [they have been doing our mandatory five-yearly inspections].

1. For some reason, REPSOL are not allowing private companies [like FontArboleas] to sell the 'normal' [orange, heavier] butane gas bottles. However, they will sell them to customers with a contract - [including us, because they are taking care of our 'regular check-ups']. Thus, they will deliver those bottles to our house if we phone and place an order.

2. Laura found and looked at our file, and assured me that there is absolutely no problem if we want to use propane - i.e. with our kitchen/bathroom geyser and with the mobile gas-heaters which we keep in the lounge.

David Mc

lmj52

No they are not being stopped. There are thousands being delivered on lorries every day here. My local garage has lots for sale. Where does this misinformation come from
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.