White spider

Started by linedancer, April 28, 2009, 18:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormanM

Up to about an inch, Frankie - they're big girls.  Oh, and as far as I know L. lilianae is black...
From Normam

UEI

Quotebut the effect of its venom on humans is undocumented.

Lets all hope it stays that way!  :D

NormanM

As you say UEI, it is!  My apologies for getting my spiders in a knot - I was referring to Latrodectus pallidus, the beastie which I know as the white widow.     

L. lilianae differs by having orange/yellow markings on its abdomen, near the cephalothorax, but the effect of its venom on humans is undocumented. 
From Normam

UEI

QuoteThe  White Widow is not found in Spain.

Sorry Norman but I beg to differ. Latrodectus lilianae IS commonly found across the Iberian peninsular.

;)

NormanM

On a slightly reassuring note, out of the 1700 spider species in spain, only three are dangerous to  humans- the black widow (by far the worst), some of the wolf spider group, and the mediterranean recluse spider.  The  White Widow is not found in Spain.

Anyway, why kill spiders - they are great pest controllers, and it's their space as much as ours!
From Normam

Karen4

Frankie I find it's useful to borrow other people's husbands - you can get the best out of them but don't have the responsibility of looking after them, and when you're finished you can hand them back to their owners!
Cl3880

Lynne

Quote from: Frankie on May 02, 2009, 08:05:48 AM
A small one about the size of a wasp ...
Small?  :o :o That would be big enough to see me out of the house until my husband got rid of it.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Lorraine

Just about the only colour spider I haven't seen is blue. I particularly like the bright yellow ones - they look like seaside crabs! (from the beach!)

linedancer

Oh yuck and I squished him with my fingers as he was busy spinning a lovely white web.  Thanks for the info.  I will pop down and get some of the Neem stuff tomorrow.

Chris

UEI

Could have been Latrodectus family, which is commonly known as a white widow. spiders in the this family produce a very potent neurotoxin.
So if anybody else sees one, be careful.

linedancer

I picked a small white spider off my lemon tree which has loads of blossoms on it, are they dangerous?  I squished him anyway (as I do to all beasties who dare to invade my space :crazy:).  Now I am wondering if he managed to do any harm whilst living in my tree and what I should look out for or perhaps spray it with.

Chris