Compost & Worms

Started by cuevas, April 30, 2009, 22:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darion

I am a avid gardener and have successfully been making my own compost for 3 years, use all your old green waste and leaves, layer, with newspaper I do use Wilkinson Compost maker during the proccess, and always keep the compost moist, I have a compost bin, it is good to use worms however, I did not but when I have emptied out into my vegtable plot there have been worms in the compost so presume that the little creatures have come up through the soil, turn over with a fork every week or two, I do not get any smells from the box, however when I open it I do get several flies and I just sray no problem,I have also had slugs in it so have to put down slug pelets when emptying into mhy garden. Good luck and I hope you have the success that I have had.
Regards Darion

terrytrees

You can make compost without worms but more care is needed.Anything dry will not break down and too wet is no good either.As Frankie says turn it often and an "accelerant" helps.In order to break the material down nitrogen is required.This could take the form of a sprinkle of grass fertiliser (High N.)now and then,which is readily available in garden centres.I remember learning gardening when I was not even a teenager and being told to pee on the compost heap. :o (Pee = ammonia=nitrogen.) ;D
Terrytrees.

cuevas

Thanks I'll give it a go!

cuevas

I have an old water butt that I have been filling with all my peelings etc in the hope of making compost.

How long does it take roughly and think I might need to buy some worms to put in, can't find any in the garden!

Where is the best place to buy as I have tried Haro garden centre on Bouganvillas roundabout (Garrucha - Vera road) and the fishing shop in Garrucha harbour but he said they were no good as they were wet worms for fishing only, who am I to argue when I have no idea!

Any info on composting as re the worms would be helpful.