Urn - any ideas

Started by bobndebs, May 11, 2009, 09:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormanM

If you really don'twant to drill your urn, you could use it as a plantpot if you put it undercover where it was not exposed to rain, and simply control the amount of water you use.
From Normam

olly

If it`s a ceramic or terracotta urn, it`s really easy to drill drain holes in the bottom. Just turn the urn upside down, lay it on some cloth if it`s laquered/ painted, and drill 6m.m. diameter pilot holes in the bottom with a standard masonery drill bit, then open the holes up to 12.m.m. I would suggest three holes equally spaced. DON`t use the hammer action on your drill, just drill them through nice and slowly with the minimal amount of pressure required. It`s just the same as drilling ceramic tiles. I have done this many times, as the pots you buy at garden centres  are always inadequately drained, i.e. usually just have one paltry hole in them, and have never had one break yet. If on the other hand it`s a tea urn make a brew sit down and enjoy the views of your garden. ( Sorry could`nt resist the last bit.)
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

bobndebs

thanks Frankie

I might just leave it as it is - probably best as it is very pleasing to the eye!

re bougainvillas Karen - my problem is the same as yours - keeping my fingers crossed that the flowers will come up soon. It was totally my fault - left them uncovered and the frost got them ! Every day I learn something new !

debs

Karen4

Sorry, meant to put this under a separate heading...scorchio today and heat must have gone to my head!
Cl3880

Karen4

Another query for my expert gardening friends out there! I cut my big bougainvillea hard back a few months ago and it has come up again really well, looking strong and bushy and......green only! Do you think the red bits will appear again? Everyone else's seem to be out in full bloom and I'm wondering if mine is just huffing a bit?
Cl3880

bobndebs

Good morning all

I wonder if anyone could give me a little advice.

I have inherited a large urn - lovely looking but was thinking of turning it into a plant pot.  Now my question is - will it have to have holes put in for drainage or do i just put a plant pot in it (I would hate to break it) It stands around 3 foot high.  Now what about a suitable plant to put in it??? It is on my sun terrace and gets the sun all day so are there any plants which would love full sun?  I was thinking of maybe a small type tree - but I'm not sure about root systems (am I making sense hear !) - something with flowers maybe and quite ornamental .......

thanks

a very confused debs